Drivetrain (Cooper S) MINI Cooper S (R53) intakes, exhausts, pulleys, headers, throttle bodies, and any other modifications to the Cooper S drivetrain.

Drivetrain My header swap expierience

Search this Thread

Old 08-23-2011, 02:46 AM
BlwnAway
6th Gear
Received 255 Likes on 191 Posts
My header swap expierience

Ok, the reason I'm posting this is because I don't think many people have done this and I thought I would pass along my impressions.

A short while back I ended up swapping my RMW street header for the Mynes V2......

**Let me stop right here and say a few things before I continue, this in NO WAY is meant to be any kind of product Bashing, both of these headers work very well and the change didn't occur for any performance reason at all, stricktly logistics. Any thing I may say about any gain's or losses is strictly my opinion and there are no "Stats" to back anything up.
(Sorry but I just didn't want this to be "one of those" threads.)

Basicly I had my RMW for a little more than a year when I developed a leak at the flex basket. (my fault, bad upper motor mount for too long, and I didn't install the recomended TSW solid until it was too late.) Then by not fixing the leak in a timley manor I developed CAT issues. (just my opinion there are plenty of discussions as to why CAT's go bad.)

I contacted Jan about it with the intention of having it fixed, everything was set up, and went off without a hitch. As a matter of fact I really have to give RMW credit in regards to this, they ended up doing the entire repair for basiclly the replacement cost of the CAT + shipping, way less than I expected, actually it even ended up being less than I was quoted.

Now for the logistical reason for the swap.
The car is my DD and I just don't have the time or ability (proper equipment) to do a header swap and be without my car for week or more. So I had to crack open my wallet and make a decision, either spend money doing a swap (buying a new header) or spend money figuring out transportation.
Again here comes the logistic's part, I needed to see Chad to have some other work done and this needed to be done asap because of my plate renewal, so there would also be air fare involved with a repair, and with everything added up the new header would only cost me about a $200.00 difference and done in one day. I admit $200.00 is harder to come by these days but there was another factor that ended up swaying me, (something I really never considered before) "Design".

Here's a couple of pic's to show you what I mean.

RMW:

Mynes:

The design of the V2 ended up selling it for me simply because of features, one for now and two for later;
Now, I needed a third bung for my wideband AFR kit. (yes easily added to the RMW but it's just already done.)

Later, instead of a flex basket, (granted probably never go bad again because of my added motor mount.) Instead it uses a spring flange and exhaust donut. I know donuts wear out all the time, but it's a simple, inexpensive and quick fix.
And, bolt on CAT, as most of us know headers and CAT's don't always play well together for extended periods of time, mostly due to heat issues, so here we are again back to the simple and timely repair issue, no need to pull the header to reweld in a new CAT.

Honestly I didn't even think of these issues until I had to go through all of this.

Now, for my impressions of the two. (I'm still useing my stock JCW exhaust.)
They both perform Great!
The RMW is a little deeper in tone and actually quieter at WOT.
The V2 is slightly higher pitched and sounds a little "tighter" for lack of a better word, and is def. louder at WOT, and just slightly louder at cruising speeds.
I think the V2 has a slight advantage performance wise BUT only at the very high rpm's and honestly if you weren't running something similar to what I am with the BVH and NS2 (esp. the NS2) and really getting above 7000 like I am, I really don't know if there would be a difference at all. And as far as throwing it on a dyno to compare, I'll never know, the only time the car was on a dyno with the RMW, there were other problems and we never could get car to its full potential.
Those are really the only actual "differences" I can see, again they both work great.

Any just wanted to put this out there incase anyone was thinking of doing this swap or in the market for a new header, they both work really well, an my experience with both companies was great. I just figured the more info and opinions the better.

Old 08-23-2011, 08:33 AM
duvinclunk
5th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Oh man, that RMW header looks HOT. Haha.

Thanks for the write up, always appreciate it when people take the time to do such...