North American Motoring

North American Motoring (https://www.northamericanmotoring.com/forums/)
-   Drivetrain (Cooper S) (https://www.northamericanmotoring.com/forums/drivetrain-cooper-s-16/)
-   -   Drivetrain intake and 15%pulley (https://www.northamericanmotoring.com/forums/drivetrain-cooper-s/209559-intake-and-15-pulley.html)

K-20t 05-02-2011 06:17 PM

intake and 15%pulley

I just installed the AFE power intake on my 2006 cooper S and a 15% pulley and I'm very happy with the results!!!:)

I didn't have the time to get it on a dyno stock but with this 2 things I got 187whp and 167tq!!

I'm new to the minis so its thats about right compare to other minis with just this 2 mods??

tlr1000 05-03-2011 06:34 PM

Originally Posted by K-20t (Post 3274984)
I just installed the AFE power intake on my 2006 cooper S and a 15% pulley and I'm very happy with the results!!!:)

I didn't have the time to get it on a dyno stock but with this 2 things I got 187whp and 167tq!!

I'm new to the minis so its thats about right compare to other minis with just this 2 mods??

If you're getting 187hp without tuning, that's impressive!

K-20t 05-03-2011 07:54 PM

That would be my next step to find a good method to tune my mini! But like I said before I'm new to this minis game and don't know my option for that matter... Would you recommend me something? And how much would I have to spend??

Thanks for the reply!!

tlr1000 05-03-2011 09:51 PM

There are a few MINI tuners out there but I went with RMW because of the positive feedback I've read. Jan was able to get 19 hp from tuning my car which has a CAI, pulley, belt, & colder plugs. Also, hp is not the only benefit of tuning...some searches on the forum should give you a better idea of the benefits.

Btw, what kind of dyno did you get your results on?

davisflyer 05-04-2011 03:50 AM

Originally Posted by K-20t (Post 3275956)
That would be my next step to find a good method to tune my mini! But like I said before I'm new to this minis game and don't know my option for that matter... Would you recommend me something?

RMW

K-20t 05-05-2011 12:02 PM

it was a DynoJet!! in Orlando...

where can I find this RMW products??

thanks for all the help guys!! by the way I'm located in the Miami area if they are any mini meets around here I would like to go...

ZippyNH 05-05-2011 12:29 PM

Originally Posted by K-20t (Post 3277228)
it was a DynoJet!! in Orlando...

where can I find this RMW products??

thanks for all the help guys!! by the way I'm located in the Miami area if they are any mini meets around here I would like to go...

Gen1 mini tunes are generaly done on a dyno for best results....
the tuner brings his knowledge and some specilaized hardware to change the cars computer maps....
it it is possi le for the person doing the tune to do it remotly by computer if you buy extra hardware....the tune loader/downloader....
RMW is the name of the persons company that does the tunes....the tuner is Jan there....he often travels to tune partyies that last several days when many tunes are done per day...
if he is not scheduled to be in your area, you could drive up to atlanta ya to waymotorworks....they do tunes too, both remotely and on the inshop dyno.
Costs varies...but a few hundread for the tune, maybe another for the dyno time...
it is a good last step when you have you car fully Modded....the further it is from stock, the more the benifits....

K-20t 05-05-2011 01:19 PM

Originally Posted by ZippyNH (Post 3277249)
Gen1 mini tunes are generaly done on a dyno for best results....
the tuner brings his knowledge and some specilaized hardware to change the cars computer maps....
it it is possi le for the person doing the tune to do it remotly by computer if you buy extra hardware....the tune loader/downloader....
RMW is the name of the persons company that does the tunes....the tuner is Jan there....he often travels to tune partyies that last several days when many tunes are done per day...
if he is not scheduled to be in your area, you could drive up to atlanta ya to waymotorworks....they do tunes too, both remotely and on the inshop dyno.
Costs varies...but a few hundread for the tune, maybe another for the dyno time...
it is a good last step when you have you car fully Modded....the further it is from stock, the more the benifits....

thanks for the answer!!:thumbsup:

sorry I wasn't more specific on my question, I have other cars that I have modified and tune before!! on one of my car I bought a AEM stand alone ecu and on another one I bought the Flashpro from hondata to tune it!!

what I wanna know is what kind of ecu should I buy for my 2006 mini S so I can tune it!! I already got a tuner and a Dyno place...

thanks again guys for all the help!!

Some Guy 05-05-2011 09:39 PM

The problem you will encounter with the MINI is that the computer that controls the engine also controls just about everything else on the car (gauges, windows, central locking etc...) meaning if you rip it out you lose everything. I'm still waiting to see somebody really trick it with a piggy back (fake the stock ECU into thinking it is running).

Anyway Mynes sells software that you can tune the stock ECU with yourself. Looks like you can go here to get some more info: http://mynesperformance.forumotion.com/

JumpingJackFlash 05-06-2011 08:48 AM

Dynojets tend to rate a bit high. You get more accurate results going to a Dyno Dynamics system. And don't compare one dyno system to another. You'll rip your hair out trying to figure out the differences.

K-20t 05-06-2011 12:50 PM

Originally Posted by Some Guy (Post 3277634)
The problem you will encounter with the MINI is that the computer that controls the engine also controls just about everything else on the car (gauges, windows, central locking etc...) meaning if you rip it out you lose everything. I'm still waiting to see somebody really trick it with a piggy back (fake the stock ECU into thinking it is running).

Anyway Mynes sells software that you can tune the stock ECU with yourself. Looks like you can go here to get some more info: http://mynesperformance.forumotion.com/

thanks!!

K-20t 05-06-2011 12:53 PM

Originally Posted by JumpingJackFlash (Post 3277895)
Dynojets tend to rate a bit high. You get more accurate results going to a Dyno Dynamics system. And don't compare one dyno system to another. You'll rip your hair out trying to figure out the differences.

thanks for the input, I use this one cause a friend of mine is the owner!!:)

but the way I think of dynos is that you don't used them to brag about how much power you are making I thinks it's more like a tool to tuned your car and make sure you are doing in it in the right direction!! so I always try to used the same dyno to make sure the car its getting better...

K-20t 05-07-2011 09:59 AM

its the Unichip good?

WayMotorWorks 05-07-2011 10:12 AM

Originally Posted by K-20t (Post 3278642)
its the Unichip good?

NO, get a real tune. We also sell the Bytetronik software, it allows you to write your own tune so your not having to pay a tuner to retune your car.

K-20t 05-07-2011 10:34 AM

Originally Posted by WayMotorWorks (Post 3278650)
NO, get a real tune. We also sell the Bytetronik software, it allows you to write your own tune so your not having to pay a tuner to retune your car.

I will check it out!

thanks for the info...

Spooled 05-07-2011 11:52 AM

With pretty much those same mods, except I also had a catback exhaust, I pulled 185hp and 170ft/lbs on a dynojet. It was midsummer, and about 80 degrees outside. I had Jan from RMW tune my car and he was only able to get me another 7hp and 5ft/lbs to put me at 192hp and 178ft/lbs. However, the driveability was definitely improved.

K-20t 05-07-2011 12:19 PM

thanks for the info spooled I dyno mine last week in orlando, temp was around 75*!!

You said jan from RMW tuned your mini but what do you guys use to tune it??

JumpingJackFlash 05-07-2011 06:37 PM

And keep in mind it's not just the peak numbers, but also the gains overall across the power band curve. :thumbsup:

K-20t 05-10-2011 02:09 PM

Originally Posted by JumpingJackFlash (Post 3278851)
And keep in mind it's not just the peak numbers, but also the gains overall across the power band curve. :thumbsup:

so true!! I'll have it in mine... :thumbsup: