Drivetrain (Cooper S) MINI Cooper S (R56) intakes, exhausts, pulleys, headers, throttle bodies, and any other modifications to the Cooper S drivetrain.

Drivetrain ABF Tech Division R56 turbo back exhaust system

Search this Thread

Old 03-20-2011, 05:34 PM
Stryker305
1st Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Good job clearing the air mike, this horse is beaten to death now let's move on!

Old 03-20-2011, 07:17 PM
onefish2
6th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
This is almost like the Riss Racing thread from over a year ago. I hope this one turns out better.

Take a look at my signature see all the mods on my JCW? Now can some one tell me why I would swap my exhaust for this or any other exhaust?

Old 03-20-2011, 08:14 PM
ThumperMCS
6th Gear
Received 19 Likes on 14 Posts
Originally Posted by onefish2
Now can some one tell me why I would swap my exhaust for this or any other exhaust?
Nope... because they all really do the same thing.

You're looking at a few horsepower difference at MOST between the "BEST" exhaust out there and the "worst" exhaust out there. At least on the R56, the exhaust system is not complex at all, its a straight pipe out the back really. Most of the power is picked up by running a catless downpipe anyway...which by the way you can have fabbed for a couple hundred bucks (maybe less). It's mind blowing that someone would spend $1500 for an exhaust that does the same thing as a $700 one. But hey, its their money

Old 03-20-2011, 10:06 PM
AkFarina
Banned
I have a $300 exhaust sure its not all shiny, But it sounds great, Probably puts down more power, oh yeah and its legal! These guys are going to get torn apart more than M3_tuning and his GT28rs.

Old 03-20-2011, 10:21 PM
ThumperMCS
6th Gear
Originally Posted by AkFarina
I have a $300 exhaust sure its not all shiny, But it sounds great, Probably puts down more power, oh yeah and its legal! These guys are going to get torn apart more than M3_tuning and his GT28rs.

Old 03-20-2011, 10:39 PM
AWD_Rally

Received 40 Likes on 34 Posts
I don't think any aftermarket part are legal on my car, except for the CAI.

Last edited by AWD_Rally; 03-20-2011 at 11:44 PM.
Old 03-21-2011, 12:49 AM
MotorMouth
6th Gear
ABFTECH, you may have noticed we are some tough cookies. Most of us who have been here since or before the R56 came out have seen many many products come out that basically vaporized. So we are naturally skeptical.

Once you can show before and after graphs on a car that only had the exhaust changed we'll be a bit more friendly - assuming the numbers show good gains.

Friendly doesn't mean we are going to pay $1500 for a catless exhaust no matter how shiny it is. Why not skip polishing everything except the muffler and tips to save a few hundred? I'm not going to have my car up on block with mirrors underneath for some bling car show. I am going to be driving.

I am personally interested in a catless DP that would bolt up to stock exhaust for about $400 or less for my 2011 S model that will be here in about a month. I could be convinced to get a complete catless system if the price was right. For me that would mean =<$1000 for a complete catless system. We keep hearing how the cats are the expensive part of the exhaust so a catless one should be a good bit cheaper.

Old 03-21-2011, 12:58 AM
BlckJCWGhst
3rd Gear
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Not Only That I Mean The Da** Thing Is Going To Trigger A CEL Anyways So Why Pay 1500 For A Shinny Exhaust Thats Gonna Cost You The Annoying Check Engine Light !!!!

Old 03-21-2011, 01:01 AM
MotorMouth
6th Gear
Originally Posted by BlckJCWGhst
Not Only That I Mean The Da** Thing Is Going To Trigger A CEL Anyways So Why Pay 1500 For A Shinny Exhaust Thats Gonna Cost You The Annoying Check Engine Light !!!!
hopefully the AP will take care of the light. Now if alta will just have it ready for the 2011 within the next month! I'll hate going from my tuned JCW to a stock tune S model!

Old 03-21-2011, 02:35 AM
BlckJCWGhst
3rd Gear
Yeah But Its Still The Fact That You Have To Resort To Getting A Code Reader Or The Access Port To Get The Light To Go Away You Know ?

Old 03-21-2011, 02:49 AM
AkFarina
Banned
so really its a $2,400 exhaust just to run it with no CEL. HA, you know what ells you could buy for 2,400?

Old 03-21-2011, 03:01 AM
Davidoyo
4th Gear
Originally Posted by AkFarina
so really its a $2,400 exhaust just to run it with no CEL. HA, you know what ells you could buy for 2,400?
Bigger Turbo, Coilovers, and maybe some ported heads?

I personally like my $380 2.5" Magnaflow custom exhaust

Old 03-21-2011, 03:10 AM
MotorMouth
6th Gear
Yeah But Its Still The Fact That You Have To Resort To Getting A Code Reader Or The Access Port To Get The Light To Go Away You Know ?
If you aren't rocking an accessport or dimsport tune you shouldn't be thinking of spending $900 on any other mod.

Same goes for the posts talking about it being a 2500 exhaust.

Don't even think about paying for an exhaust if you haven't gotten a tuner yet.

$1500 is too much for a catless exhaust. you don't need to try to exaggerate it.

Old 03-21-2011, 08:15 PM
Mike@Tech Division
Former Vendor
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by ThumperMCS
Nope... because they all really do the same thing.

You're looking at a few horsepower difference at MOST between the "BEST" exhaust out there and the "worst" exhaust out there. At least on the R56, the exhaust system is not complex at all, its a straight pipe out the back really. Most of the power is picked up by running a catless downpipe anyway...which by the way you can have fabbed for a couple hundred bucks (maybe less). It's mind blowing that someone would spend $1500 for an exhaust that does the same thing as a $700 one. But hey, its their money
A cheap exhaust is nothing new. We could have just as easily made one too. However we take pride in what we sell and wanted to produce an exhaust that made power first and for most, but that also sounds good and made from high quality materials. The MSRP has many wondering why? We believe a further look into this exhaust needs to be made to help understand this.

The mandrel bends are done by programing specs into the bender and having a single piece of stainless pipe bent. This process is more costly then crush bent or even cutting up universal mandrel bends and welding them together. This may not seem like a big deal, but there are many advantages to have an exhaust built this way. Obviously crush bent exhaust are junk and any one who has done their research knows this. The choice to not just use universal mandrel stock is, for a lot of people, not always so obvious. Although cheaper, this construction method doesn't make for the best exhaust. Lots of cutting and welding is required. Unless the exhaust is back purged, welding typically leaves build up inside the pipe. The more welds, the more build up. By using a mandrel machine to make programed bends we get sections of pipe with all the required bends and the bare minimum of welding is required. Also exhaust tend to crack or fail at their welds. With as little welds as possible the amount of stress points in the system are reduced.

A big complaint we have run into over the years is the problems that people have with the slip fit joints found on so many exhaust. Thumper you have first hand experience with this as do many others running the Invidia. Same with Borla, Magnaflow, JCW tuning exhaust, and what have you. No one enjoys a leaky rattly exhaust. Welding the joints together has been a really common fix, but this is added time and cost for a part that was supposed to be bolt on.

We made sure this would not happen by using V-bands. Installed correctly they will pretty much never leak or loosen. The v-band we use is hands down the best one made. Rolled edge flanges prevent the warping issues found from cheaper machined v-band flanges. This further prevents leaks. The clamp it self is made for quicker disconnects and easier installation. Cheaper versions require that you looses the clamp completely to remove them.

Ease of install is a given, but one might wonder why ease of removal is important too. Having mid or tale pipes that can be swapped out easy alows for the use of an optional turn down at the track. One can drive to the track, swap it out and race. When done swap it back and don't get hassled by the cops. It's good to keep in mind too that a good number of R56's are still under warranty. A trip to the dealer is much less a head ache when the parts you want to take off are easier.

The muffler and resonators are for high flow and much like other brands they are mostly straight through designs. One thing we noticed was that many of the R56 exhaust on the market have center inlet mufflers. This done for performance reason naturally. How ever this also made them more prone to drone and increased noise levels. By moving our inlet offset, the muffler could benefit from it's straight through design while acting like a baffled muffler as well. This slight change was a big difference for sound quality while doing virtually nothing to harm performance. The packing is also denser and of better material then that of many others. Aside from not only creating a better exhaust note, the insides last longer, maintaining it's sound quality longer. Although still louder then stock and with some drone we have selected a muffler and resonator that can bring the exhaust note of a catless system with in reasonable levels,with almost no effect on performance.

All the for mentioned parts are made in the USA and selected form companies that provide parts for exhaust being run in ALMS, Nascar, Champ, and Indy. The construction takes place here in the USA as well. It is completely tig welded by hand by a master welder with over 25+ years of experience. The exhaust is then hand polished. Although polishing may not appeal to most, this option was chosen over heat resistant coating as cost is close to the same and the polish finish will not chip away.

Over all we looked at what is on the market and what wasn't. Most turbo back exhaust fall into a range that is priced lower, but built cheaper to be profitable. Since this portion of the market was already saturated and not really focused on our same ideals, we produced a product for the crowd that is.

Since this is new product and demand for an item focusing on a smaller then average crowd is not always high, we really have no expectations to produce more then 2-3 a month. Hence we set an MSRP that matched the product and its production level. However if demand and interest is shown that warrants a higher volume in production then pricing will drop to what many may consider a more reasonable level through a group buy.

Originally Posted by MotorMouth
If you aren't rocking an accessport or dimsport tune you shouldn't be thinking of spending $900 on any other mod.

Same goes for the posts talking about it being a 2500 exhaust.

Don't even think about paying for an exhaust if you haven't gotten a tuner yet.

$1500 is too much for a catless exhaust. you don't need to try to exaggerate it.
I agree with you on this. The AP is the best mod for the R56 and should be bought before or with any mods going on the car.

Last edited by Mike@Tech Division; 03-21-2011 at 08:17 PM. Reason: typo
Old 03-21-2011, 08:48 PM
ThumperMCS
6th Gear
Originally Posted by Mike@Tech Division
A cheap exhaust is nothing new. We could have just as easily made one too. However we take pride in what we sell and wanted to produce an exhaust that made power first and for most, but that also sounds good and made from high quality materials. The MSRP has many wondering why? We believe a further look into this exhaust needs to be made to help understand this.

The mandrel bends are done by programing specs into the bender and having a single piece of stainless pipe bent. This process is more costly then crush bent or even cutting up universal mandrel bends and welding them together. This may not seem like a big deal, but there are many advantages to have an exhaust built this way. Obviously crush bent exhaust are junk and any one who has done their research knows this. The choice to not just use universal mandrel stock is, for a lot of people, not always so obvious. Although cheaper, this construction method doesn't make for the best exhaust. Lots of cutting and welding is required. Unless the exhaust is back purged, welding typically leaves build up inside the pipe. The more welds, the more build up. By using a mandrel machine to make programed bends we get sections of pipe with all the required bends and the bare minimum of welding is required. Also exhaust tend to crack or fail at their welds. With as little welds as possible the amount of stress points in the system are reduced.

A big complaint we have run into over the years is the problems that people have with the slip fit joints found on so many exhaust. Thumper you have first hand experience with this as do many others running the Invidia. Same with Borla, Magnaflow, JCW tuning exhaust, and what have you. No one enjoys a leaky rattly exhaust. Welding the joints together has been a really common fix, but this is added time and cost for a part that was supposed to be bolt on.

We made sure this would not happen by using V-bands. Installed correctly they will pretty much never leak or loosen. The v-band we use is hands down the best one made. Rolled edge flanges prevent the warping issues found from cheaper machined v-band flanges. This further prevents leaks. The clamp it self is made for quicker disconnects and easier installation. Cheaper versions require that you looses the clamp completely to remove them.

Ease of install is a given, but one might wonder why ease of removal is important too. Having mid or tale pipes that can be swapped out easy alows for the use of an optional turn down at the track. One can drive to the track, swap it out and race. When done swap it back and don't get hassled by the cops. It's good to keep in mind too that a good number of R56's are still under warranty. A trip to the dealer is much less a head ache when the parts you want to take off are easier.

The muffler and resonators are for high flow and much like other brands they are mostly straight through designs. One thing we noticed was that many of the R56 exhaust on the market have center inlet mufflers. This done for performance reason naturally. How ever this also made them more prone to drone and increased noise levels. By moving our inlet offset, the muffler could benefit from it's straight through design while acting like a baffled muffler as well. This slight change was a big difference for sound quality while doing virtually nothing to harm performance. The packing is also denser and of better material then that of many others. Aside from not only creating a better exhaust note, the insides last longer, maintaining it's sound quality longer. Although still louder then stock and with some drone we have selected a muffler and resonator that can bring the exhaust note of a catless system with in reasonable levels,with almost no effect on performance.

All the for mentioned parts are made in the USA and selected form companies that provide parts for exhaust being run in ALMS, Nascar, Champ, and Indy. The construction takes place here in the USA as well. It is completely tig welded by hand by a master welder with over 25+ years of experience. The exhaust is then hand polished. Although polishing may not appeal to most, this option was chosen over heat resistant coating as cost is close to the same and the polish finish will not chip away.

Over all we looked at what is on the market and what wasn't. Most turbo back exhaust fall into a range that is priced lower, but built cheaper to be profitable. Since this portion of the market was already saturated and not really focused on our same ideals, we produced a product for the crowd that is.

Since this is new product and demand for an item focusing on a smaller then average crowd is not always high, we really have no expectations to produce more then 2-3 a month. Hence we set an MSRP that matched the product and its production level. However if demand and interest is shown that warrants a higher volume in production then pricing will drop to what many may consider a more reasonable level through a group buy.
Well I will give you this....thank you for an articulate, thought-out response. Most people here can't seem to do that.

You guys are clear in your intentions and if that's what you want then awesome! I don't think its a bad product, it looks fantastic. I just think it's priced out of the market, which you have addressed in your response. You are aiming for that so good for you.

And everything you said is true, mandrel vs crush...v-band vs slip. As anyone here knows, I lovvvvve my Invidia and the one thing I do wish it had was V-bands....but it doesn't. I've only had an issue with it loosening once. Had it for two years now, and never had a problem since. I've heard nearly every exhaust for the R56 from a variety of custom, to every name brand...and to this day I still think the Invidia sounds the best, and has the most unique deep tone that none of the others can seem to accomplish. Have not heard your's however....but I'm sure at this point my views won't change. It's just important for people here that aren't as familiar with mods to understand that $1500 doesn't equate to high quality & sound. And on the opposite end....$500 doesn't mean poor quality. Invidia is straight through, mandrel bent, SUS-304 polished stainless, and TIG welded.

The only thing that will have my interest in the $1200+ exhaust market is if its made out of Ti. Or if Eisenmann decided to make one out of Inconel like they did for the E92 M3. (Plain silly....but if you're running an exhaust made of inconel......helloooooo bragging rights )

Old 03-21-2011, 08:54 PM
AWD_Rally

The only thing that will have my interest in the $1200+ exhaust market is if its made out of Ti. Or if Eisenmann decided to make one out of Inconel like they did for the E92 M3. (Plain silly....but if you're running an exhaust made of inconel......helloooooo bragging rights )
I'd pay the bucks for a FULL exhaust system, including down-pipe, made out of inconel :D And headers too...

Old 03-21-2011, 09:03 PM
ThumperMCS
6th Gear
Originally Posted by AWD_Rally
I'd pay the bucks for a FULL exhaust system, including down-pipe, made out of inconel :D And headers too...
Have you seen it/heard it? Sex....

It's only $7,400

Beauty of it is....you pull up next to some tool that thinks he's baller cuz he has a full Ti exhaust. You tell him your's is Inconel...and he says "umm what's that?"

Old 03-21-2011, 09:08 PM
AWD_Rally

Have you seen it/heard it? Sex....

It's only $7,400

Beauty of it is....you pull up next to some tool that thinks he's baller cuz he has a full Ti exhaust. You tell him your's is Inconel...and he says "umm what's that?"
That's it? I'll get one for winter and summer

I don't imagine a lot of people knowing what inconel is, lol. But damn... it would be sweet.

Old 03-21-2011, 09:14 PM
ThumperMCS
6th Gear
Originally Posted by AWD_Rally
That's it? I'll get one for winter and summer

I don't imagine a lot of people knowing what inconel is, lol. But damn... it would be sweet.
It really isn't that expensive comparatively...a full Ti Akrapovic for an E92 for like $5800. Many Porsche exhausts are $7k+....not even titanium!

Kinda crazy though to think we could prob build a full race motor for the same price

Old 03-21-2011, 09:16 PM
AWD_Rally

It really isn't that expensive comparatively...a full Ti Akrapovic for an E92 for like $5800. Kinda crazy though to think we could prob build a full race motor for the same price
Yeah, that's a bit up there in price... maybe next year

Old 03-21-2011, 09:42 PM
BlckJCWGhst
3rd Gear
I Wonder If They Make An Exhaust For Mini's ? That Would Be Sweet To Have A Eisenmann Exhaust ! I'd Pay Good Money For One Of Those

Old 03-21-2011, 09:45 PM
ThumperMCS
6th Gear
I Wonder If They Make An Exhaust For Mini's ? That Would Be Sweet To Have A Eisenmann Exhaust ! I'd Pay Good Money For One Of Those
They were going to a while ago...have seen nothing about it since. They make an R53 exhaust though.

I had an Eisenmann on my Audi....sounded amazing

Old 03-21-2011, 10:01 PM
clnconcpts
4th Gear
Does this bring the Akrapovic Exhaust back into the ball park?

Old 03-21-2011, 10:46 PM
MotorMouth
6th Gear
Here we are trying to convince the guy that $1500 is too much and y'all start talking about $7000+ exhausts..

Old 03-21-2011, 11:34 PM
BlckJCWGhst
3rd Gear
Lol But See ... That Exhaust Is Known Worldwide To Just Be Bad ***, This Is Some Fruit Of The Loom Exhaust That Came To The Market All Shinny With A Price That Is Just Ridonculous Lol Thats Right RIDONCULOUS !!!!

Quick Reply: Drivetrain ABF Tech Division R56 turbo back exhaust system