North American Motoring

North American Motoring (https://www.northamericanmotoring.com/forums/)
-   Drivetrain (Cooper S) (https://www.northamericanmotoring.com/forums/drivetrain-cooper-s-191/)
-   -   Drivetrain ABF Tech Division R56 turbo back exhaust system (https://www.northamericanmotoring.com/forums/drivetrain-cooper-s/206509-abf-tech-division-r56-turbo-back-exhaust-system.html)

Mike@Tech Division 03-24-2011 09:31 AM

Originally Posted by ThumperMCS (Post 3243847)
Again though, it has nothing to do with their turboback, and it's gains.

That's correct. That was just base line runs with the car back to stock and one with the AP w/ tune. The Turbo Back is back on and will hopefully make it on the dyno tonight. Last night it started raining and weather didn't match so we waited. That graph speaks a lot for the AP though.

JIMINNI 03-24-2011 06:17 PM

Wow interesting thread :lol: So a read thru and it sounds like people here are saying its way expensive....really? Hmm.....just looked at Altas turbo back and its a whole $120. cheaper, wow that's a lot of money...not :lol: Looking at the two systems and having personally seen many Alta cat backs from the R53 and the R56....umm...quality control was not there :no: And I own one, so I have nothing to hide. Looked at Borlas system....hmm....$920. for just the cat back...add a DP and I believe your close? Then all this about dynos......:lol: wow the R53 engine wars again :razz: I do believe that most all systems will be close to one another, power wise, so most often not it comes down to what you feel best about. This systems looks to be very well made, and should last a long time, like the old saying goes, "you get what you pay for" :thumbsup: Oh and some of you newbies here, you do know who ABF is right? Hmm...the maker of the FASTEST MOST POWERFUL MINI EVER MADE, hands down no contest! :thumbsup::thumbsup:

dsc201knoc 03-24-2011 06:42 PM

Originally Posted by JIMINNI (Post 3244266)
Wow interesting thread :lol: So a read thru and it sounds like people here are saying its way expensive....really? Hmm.....just looked at Altas turbo back and its a whole $120. cheaper, wow that's a lot of money...not :lol: Looking at the two systems and having personally seen many Alta cat backs from the R53 and the R56....umm...quality control was not there :no: And I own one, so I have nothing to hide. Looked at Borlas system....hmm....$920. for just the cat back...add a DP and I believe your close? Then all this about dynos......:lol: wow the R53 engine wars again :razz: I do believe that most all systems will be close to one another, power wise, so most often not it comes down to what you feel best about. This systems looks to be very well made, and should last a long time, like the old saying goes, "you get what you pay for" :thumbsup: Oh and some of you newbies here, you do know who ABF is right? Hmm...the maker of the FASTEST MOST POWERFUL MINI EVER MADE, hands down no contest! :thumbsup::thumbsup:

:thumbsup: Forgot to mention they hold multiple track record in Nevada and California in their coopers also.. :wink:

I'll support and back Dez any day of the week. The exhaust sounds good, my MCS runs good with it, and I'm happy with what I paid for.. I guess it is what it is.

dsc201knoc 03-24-2011 07:31 PM

Ohh and I dont know if anyone has seen this information :grin:

::ABF Tech Division::

This is Dez Ballard's race MINI that he drives in the RedLine Time Attack Series. This custom built 1.6L engine puts out about 800hp at the crank, about 650 to the wheel on the stock MINI Cooper R53 engine...kinda.
Here are the current list of modifications on this MINI:
Engine
  • 1k Injectors
  • 10:1 Compression
  • GT2871
  • GT35R 10's
  • Wiggins Clamps
  • Garrett Intercooler
  • PWR Radiatior
  • Electric Water Cooling
  • Fuel System
  • Motec M4 ECU
Suspension
  • Eibach Springs
  • Eibach Sway Bars
  • Sachs 4-way
  • Camber Plates
Drivetrain
  • Stock Transmission
  • OS Giken Racing Clutch
  • OS Giken Differential
Safety
  • Halon Fire Suppression
  • Full Roll Cage
  • Nascar Bars
  • Mini Challenge Brakes
  • Carbon Fiber Body
  • Lexan Windows
Tires
  • 225/17
Track Records
  • Autoclub Speedway, Fontana, CA 1:51
  • WIllow Springs Raceway (Big Willow), Rosamond, CA 1:27.7
  • WIllow Springs Raceway (Streets of Willow), Rosamond, CA 1:24.103
  • Las Vegas Motor Speedway, Las Vegas, CA 1:52
  • Infenion Raceway: Track record coming soon!

ThumperMCS 03-24-2011 07:34 PM

like the old saying goes, "you get what you pay for" :thumbsup:

Yep, a $600 exhaust for $1500 :thumbsup:

Oh and some of you newbies here, you do know who ABF is right? Hmm...the maker of the FASTEST MOST POWERFUL MINI EVER MADE, hands down no contest! :thumbsup::thumbsup:

Hmmm, fastest in terms of what....? What's their time around Buttonwillow again? Didn't it just get shatter'd by a street MINI??

But I wonder if they know who the "B" is in the original ABF...?

Originally Posted by dsc201knoc (Post 3244289)
I'll support and back Dez any day of the week.

Make sure you support him in his other profession too :nod: :thumbsup:

dsc201knoc 03-24-2011 07:45 PM

:grin::grin::grin:

MotorMouth 03-24-2011 07:50 PM

Originally Posted by ThumperMCS (Post 3244337)

But I wonder if they know who the "B" is in the original ABF...?

I didn't realize those were initials but now that I do, I know who the B & F were. Who was the A?

Mike@Tech Division 03-24-2011 09:03 PM

As much as I would love to talk about this, and it is very tempting, lets remember what this thread is about and try not to go of topic too much please.

JIMINNI 03-24-2011 09:05 PM

Originally Posted by ThumperMCS (Post 3244337)

Hmmm, fastest in terms of what....?

Fastest in terms of "THE FASTEST" :lol: AND THE MOST POWERFUL :)

JIMINNI 03-24-2011 09:08 PM

Originally Posted by Mike@Tech Division (Post 3244439)
As much as I would love to talk about this, and it is very tempting, lets remember what this thread is about and try not to go of topic too much please.

Sorry man :thumbsup:

///Mflossin 03-25-2011 07:41 AM

Gotta fund the race team/race car somehow! How better than with shiny metal! Surely such a successful racer would have tested this exhuast extensively on a dyno and have the results? A sound clip would be great as well.

etalj 03-25-2011 06:34 PM

Originally Posted by ///Mflossin (Post 3244686)
Gotta fund the race team/race car somehow! How better than with shiny metal! Surely such a successful racer would have tested this exhuast extensively on a dyno and have the results? A sound clip would be great as well.

I like you Mflossin :lol:

slinger688 03-27-2011 12:29 PM

The question I have is simple:

Do you want to buy an exhaust (or parts) from

a> someone who never raced/tracked and did all their testing on the street and dyno
b> someone who lives at the track, tests there and does not have a dyno

JIMINNI 03-27-2011 12:35 PM

Originally Posted by slinger688 (Post 3246410)
The question I have is simple:

Do you want to buy an exhaust (or parts) from

a> someone who never raced/tracked and did all their testing on the street and dyno
b> someone who lives at the track, tests there and does not have a dyno

Both

JIMINNI 03-27-2011 12:39 PM

Originally Posted by ///Mflossin (Post 3244686)

So you have a problem with how a business decides to spend their own money? And I guess they could have made it out of regular steel that way you get that nice red color after awhile :roll:

AWD_Rally 03-27-2011 01:02 PM

Originally Posted by JIMINNI (Post 3246419)
So you have a problem with how a business decides to spend their own money? And I guess they could have made it out of regular steel that way you get that nice red color after awhile :roll:

Good thing I crawl underneath my car all the time to look at my exhaust...

JIMINNI 03-27-2011 01:13 PM

Originally Posted by AWD_Rally (Post 3246436)
Good thing I crawl underneath my car all the time to look at my exhaust...

Yea this is what I want to buy...not!

http://www.theexitwound.com/cutenews...s/muffler1.jpg

AWD_Rally 03-27-2011 01:19 PM

Originally Posted by JIMINNI (Post 3246443)

I don't know what kind of cheap material you all are used too.. but I've never had that issue on my car. Besides, I get mine custom made; purpose built... not a show car.

BMC_Kid 03-27-2011 02:39 PM

Dude, you need to get a better exhaust. There are plenty others out there if you can't afford the ABF. Do something soon. That is a death trap not to mention embarrasing to the MINI community!

Originally Posted by JIMINNI (Post 3246443)

http://www.theexitwound.com/cutenews...s/muffler1.jpg

JIMINNI 03-27-2011 03:19 PM

Originally Posted by BMC_Kid (Post 3246498)
Dude, you need to get a better exhaust. There are plenty others out there if you can't afford the ABF. Do something soon. That is a death trap not to mention embarrasing to the MINI community!

:lol: Do you think that's my car :eek: That's not a Mini.

JIMINNI 03-27-2011 03:27 PM

Originally Posted by AWD_Rally (Post 3246446)
I don't know what kind of cheap material you all are used too.. but I've never had that issue on my car. Besides, I get mine custom made; purpose built... not a show car.

"you all" Do you mean the 95,000 members here on NAM? "but I've never had that issue on my car" So do you have some kind of non rusting steel that we all don't know about?, or do you use SS too? Most people don't have the time or the resources to have a complete "custom made" parts, plus most Mini parts are somewhat custom made as the market is so small it warrants it.

AWD_Rally 03-27-2011 03:46 PM

Originally Posted by JIMINNI (Post 3246530)
"you all" Do you mean the 95,000 members here on NAM? "but I've never had that issue on my car" So do you have some kind of non rusting steel that we all don't know about?, or do you use SS too? Most people don't have the time or the resources to have a complete "custom made" parts, plus most Mini parts are somewhat custom made as the market is so small it warrants it.

"You all" applies to whoever, well, it applies too. I paint mine to protect it, I don't need flashy shinny stuff to produce power. And I have a second exhaust as a back-up, made of Ti :wink: so that one is non rusting and not steel.

Bigprfed22 03-28-2011 06:52 AM

Pics? Id love to see your custom TI exhaust:thumbsup:

AWD_Rally 03-28-2011 07:07 AM

Originally Posted by Bigprfed22 (Post 3247021)
Pics? Id love to see your custom TI exhaust:thumbsup:

The Ti isn't custom, I wish. But I'll take pics once I pull it out of the box. It's currently still in the box and in storage.

This is what it looks like and who it's made by.

http://www.lite-spec.com/images/sti/stitione-3.jpg

Bigprfed22 03-28-2011 07:52 AM

For a Mini? Why is it your back up and not your main exhaust:sly: ?

Originally Posted by AWD_Rally (Post 3247033)
The Ti isn't custom, I wish. But I'll take pics once I pull it out of the box. It's currently still in the box and in storage.

This is what it looks like and who it's made by.

http://www.lite-spec.com/images/sti/stitione-3.jpg