Drivetrain (Cooper S) MINI Cooper S (R56) intakes, exhausts, pulleys, headers, throttle bodies, and any other modifications to the Cooper S drivetrain.

Drivetrain Defenders of Speed Vs DDMWorks

Search this Thread

Old 10-07-2009, 10:00 PM
dunphyj
4th Gear
Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts
Defenders of Speed Vs DDMWorks

Hokay! soooo... i've done this with Alta and Helix Intercoolers, and now i can do it with the DDMWorks Race intake and Defender's of Speed Intake. for those of you out there who want to know, DoF and DDM are the only companies out there right now that uses two ambient air spaces access their intakes. the DoF intake uses the stock inlet hose and the space behind the bulkhead between the battery and the wipers. and the DDMWorks Race intake uses the stock inlet hose and the bottom of the stock intake with an addition to the top and that connects to a ram air piece that mounts to the hood, making the stock intake functional. both are completely closed systems, both use K&N intakes, the DoS is a cone filter, and the DDM is an out of the box filter. (note also, K&N has a retrofit kit much like Forge's intake but i have not owned either so they are not in this comparison. obviously anyone who wants to can chime in if they want a word on that)

Now for those of you who haven't really seen... the actual gains from an intake on the R56 are pretty minimal... usually being around 8-10hp with no modifications, and typically can gain approx 17hp if you have an exhaust and IC. i still have yet to get a dyno to prove these numbers definitively for you guys. i have a consistent gain of 12whp with all my mods on my just recently sold DDMWorks Race Intake, and will test and dyno the DoS the next chance i get. Both of them are extremely well designed! but they have two VERY different characteristics when it comes to driving with them.

DDMWorks Race Intake you will feel the difference immediately. it's very eye candy nature when you open the hood will make you want to have EVERYONE come and look at your sweet intake! LOOK IT MAKES THE HOODSCOOP WORK!!!! a wonderful treat indeed considering as you all know, the intake is basically just for venting, not cooling an intercooler. but the intake will make you proud to have your hood scoop again you will feel the difference especially at full throttle compared to a stock intake. there is no heatsoak, event though part of the hood scoop air duct is near the turbo. when your hood is closed it's 100% closed system, so at speed it will keep all the air in the airbox pressurized and ready for your turbo to suck in all the glorious power making cold air you could ever want!

One thing to keep in mind as a side note, even though this is a ram air piece with it, ram air will not have any effect on a turbocharged car... this is because the turbo basically sucks what it needs and that's it... but having a pressurized system helps at speed because when the turbo is going full force, there is PLENTY of air for it to have access to, that is always a good thing for power.

Now, just today i put on my DoS Intake on... IMMEDIATELY feels slightly more powerful than the DDMWorks Race intake (this is butt dyno mind you, i have no actual dyno proof to back my butt claims) now epically different but seems to have much more pull. another thing you will notice on this one compared to DDMWorks, OMFG! THE SOUND! if you want a racy look, with sedate turbo sounds and the stealth feel, you want the DDMWorks Race Intake hands down, but if you want to HEAR EVERYTHING, if you love an open intake but don't want to deal with heat soak in traffic, you would be crazy not to get DoS! it Sucks, It Blows, IT is all the glory of an open intake with none of the drawbacks! the intake has a built in velocity stack to make its air smooth, and no throwing CEL like those who just throw a filter on the MAF. now there is cutting of the bulkhead involved, i knew what i was getting into immediately, so i came prepared and had the entire intake on, bulkhead cutting and all, in under an hour. obviously i can't give any details of how to do this... you'd have to order the intake for that. so yeah, DoS gets my vote for the best of both worlds! sound of an open filter with the no heat soak and efficiency of a closed system!

Sorry the pictures aren't extremely clear, i will get better pictures soon.

i have to give a shout out to Clint at DoS, you were amazingly helpful this entire time and were amazingly quick with the delivery of the intake! MAD PROPS to you!

Hope all this helps with some people deciding between intake A and intake B... i can also post some info about NM Engineering's Intake later. Hope this helps some Happy Motoring all!

Old 10-07-2009, 10:29 PM
ThumperMCS
6th Gear
Received 19 Likes on 14 Posts
This is the only intake that gets me excited. Thank you for the good review!

It's seriously the best concept any of the companies have done. Hope you continue to enjoy it more and more!

Old 10-07-2009, 10:34 PM
dunphyj
4th Gear
if my sudden drop in gas milage from constantly slamming the accelerator to the ground is any indication, i think i will

Last edited by dunphyj; 01-02-2010 at 10:08 PM.
Old 10-07-2009, 11:16 PM
ninjlao
Ninja Mini
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Gruppe M had this style intake about 2 years ago.

Old 10-07-2009, 11:23 PM
ThumperMCS
6th Gear
Originally Posted by ninjlao
Gruppe M had this style intake about 2 years ago.

Yea, so does M7 and a couple others. However, the Gruppe M one is insanely expensive from what I recall. I personally don't like that design though, the duct from the hood scoop sits too close over the turbo for my liking.

I was talking about his Defenders of Speed one. The one which utilizes the cowl vent near the windshield. Brilliant, and provides nothing but cool air...

Old 10-07-2009, 11:41 PM
dunphyj
4th Gear
Originally Posted by ThumperMCS
Yea, so does M7 and a couple others. However, the Gruppe M one is insanely expensive from what I recall. I personally don't like that design though, the duct from the hood scoop sits too close over the turbo for my liking.

I was talking about his Defenders of Speed one. The one which utilizes the cowl vent near the windshield. Brilliant, and provides nothing but cool air...
It's also interesting how gruppe m doesn't seem to have a MAF and doesn't use stock inlet hose... Carbon fiber could help with the heat soak.... I wonder how well it works...

Ninjlao Thank u for adding that to the thread...

Old 10-08-2009, 12:56 AM
etalj
6th Gear
Great review. I've made my decision

Could we possibly get some sound recordings of the DOS intake from inside and outside of the car. With some drive-bys too?

Old 10-08-2009, 01:32 PM
dunphyj
4th Gear
I will happily get some videos the second I get a camera that is actually good sound quality... I don't want to give u guys a terrible audio piece recorded off a phone or small handheld camera, I want to get a real video camera for it

Old 10-08-2009, 02:45 PM
ThumperMCS
6th Gear
Originally Posted by dunphyj
It's also interesting how gruppe m doesn't seem to have a MAF and doesn't use stock inlet hose...
It's probably just a Euro spec car, they don't have MAF's

Old 10-08-2009, 03:19 PM
dunphyj
4th Gear
Oh yeah... I tend to forget that :/

Old 10-08-2009, 03:59 PM
countryboyshane
6th Gear
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
WTF Mate

Could you have posted any bigger pictures?!

Old 10-08-2009, 04:38 PM
Stig One
Banned
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by countryboyshane
Could you have posted any bigger pictures?!
Right

Dunphy

Told you that Dos was the only true cold intake for our cars , my dyno run pull made 9 more hp over a k&n drop in filter

The intake noise is not too bad over 140 mph

(Riss wtf where are my goodies )

Thanks to DR OBNXS and FES for the beta test auto sport,dsc,dtc unit it works GREAT

Last edited by Stig One; 10-08-2009 at 05:55 PM.
Old 10-08-2009, 05:27 PM
etalj
6th Gear
I will happily get some videos the second I get a camera that is actually good sound quality... I don't want to give u guys a terrible audio piece recorded off a phone or small handheld camera, I want to get a real video camera for it
Thanks....appreciate it!

Hey stig, I'm getting one of those beta testers myself.

Old 10-08-2009, 05:41 PM
Stig One
Banned
when you do your pull use a huge fan,when i did my pull i could not use a fan because of rain (my dyno is great for rwd but for fwd the fan needs to be placed outside my shop) I had just a small blower on the intercooler.

Last edited by Stig One; 10-08-2009 at 06:00 PM.
Old 10-08-2009, 06:30 PM
dunphyj
4th Gear
Noted! I'll video tape the dyno run for those who r interested...

Stig, I gotta make a weekend thing and come visit you to just drive our cars side by side! All of ur projects sound kick ***

Old 10-08-2009, 07:13 PM
brightwhite
3rd Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
man, this is really making my decision hard. i like the idea of a nice sedate intake like the JCW that looks factory, but the DOS is well priced, gets great reviews but may be too loud for my tastes. and my wife would hate that. is it a constant loudness or really only there when you tromp it?

Old 10-08-2009, 07:17 PM
Stig One
Banned
drive normal and the dos is quiet,drive hard and it sounds RACE

Old 10-08-2009, 07:46 PM
brightwhite
3rd Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
well cool.

just placed my order for one, along with their noisemaker delete and forge BOV. hehe. can't wait!

Old 10-08-2009, 07:47 PM
Stig One
Banned
I would skip the forge bov because of cel issues and get a riss ,helix or hks bov.

Old 10-08-2009, 07:50 PM
Stig One
Banned
Noted! I'll video tape the dyno run for those who r interested...

Stig, I gotta make a weekend thing and come visit you to just drive our cars side by side! All of ur projects sound kick ***
are ralph or mark tuning the jcw yet? i need software

Old 10-08-2009, 08:55 PM
swisstexmini
2nd Gear
please do post about the nm-eng when you get a chance to xD

Old 10-09-2009, 09:54 AM
dunphyj
4th Gear
Originally Posted by Stig One
are ralph or mark tuning the jcw yet? i need software
i actually believe they do have a high boost map reflash for JCW (don't quote me tho... i could ask next time i'm there) i'm going with their GIAC high boost map soon, i just need brakes to handle the extreme increase in power... most likely JCW will be my route just cuz of wheel fitment and two-piece aftermarket replacement rotors are right up my alley

Old 10-09-2009, 09:57 AM
Stig One
Banned
go with ap racing or wilwood for brakes.

ask the helix boys if i send them a data log if the can do a remote tune , if helix can not i will go with a jan tune.

Old 10-12-2009, 08:57 PM
dunphyj
4th Gear
i don't think a remote tune will work... the GIAC only seems to be available for the 07 R56 because of the different ECU

Old 10-20-2009, 01:44 AM
etalj
6th Gear
ordered my DoS CAI. Very excited.

I'm going to do a Dynolicious run on my iPhone, see what the power difference is over a stock box.

Quick Reply: Drivetrain Defenders of Speed Vs DDMWorks