Drivetrain (Cooper S) MINI Cooper S (R56) intakes, exhausts, pulleys, headers, throttle bodies, and any other modifications to the Cooper S drivetrain.

Drivetrain The Official ALTA AccessPORT Thread

Search this Thread

Old 12-17-2012, 06:26 AM
IzzyG
6th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I am tempted to let my AP go but any aftermarket downpipe throws a CEL(even high flow catted ones) and AP is the only surefire way to clear that CEL(and passing emissions). So is $600-800 worth passing emissions? Very much so. :/

Old 12-17-2012, 06:35 AM
jrettew
2nd Gear
Wow. Haven't been here in a while so just caught this news. Sad indeed. Still, here is the question/s: Whenever I run a tune, and I have a few that Jeff has provided, within a couple weeks, I always end up with CELs P2D52 P2DCC P2DCB. I gather these have to do with "superknock" and the corresponding cylinder. When I run the stage 0 map I don't get it. So I was wondering 2 things; 1. Given that the superknock seems intermittent, how bad is it to run a tune with it? and 2. Is it possible to program the Sport button to run a stage 0 equivalent when not engaged and an aggressive tune only when it is engaged? Thanks for any help and insight.

Old 12-17-2012, 10:12 AM
juchong
3rd Gear
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by TerminalVelocity
Out of curiosity how do you know this is what's being done, ie. rpm being raised? I only ask because the fixed maps I've received haven't raised my idle rpm's but they did fix the idle flux issue.
Even after letting the car get to NOT and letting idle, I was still sitting at 1K RPM. It fixed the bouncy idle problem, but now the car is un-drivable in traffic!

Originally Posted by Carey P
Do you guys with idle issues all have automatics?
I'm an Auto.

Old 12-17-2012, 10:26 AM
IzzyG
6th Gear
Originally Posted by juchong
Even after letting the car get to NOT and letting idle, I was still sitting at 1K RPM. It fixed the bouncy idle problem, but now the car is un-drivable in traffic!

I'm an Auto.

Could you explain your first 2 sentences in detail? What do mean the car is undrivable in traffic?

Old 12-17-2012, 10:53 AM
ALTA_Chris
Former Vendor
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by TazMinianDevil
I want to confirm my worst case scenario Chris...
If I take my coupe in this August 2013 and Mini does service that flashes a new version of software on the ECU (released 8/13), I will be SOL on the AP since this will be a new rom version released after support for the AP was dropped, yes?
If that is the case, then we really have no way to predict how long the AP will be usable correct?
If you take your car into the dealer after July 2013 and update the ECU, the AP might not work. We will continue to update the map database to include new updates up till then though. Most likely it will include an update that MINI would do in August, since it will probably already be added, but we can't be sure. The best thing to do would be to tell the dealer to not update the ECU.

Originally Posted by Ch28Kid
I keep getting P2885 error on my tune. :'(
That code means there is some type of leak somewhere. Most likely it's from a leaking diverter valve, or hose connection after the turbo.

Originally Posted by TerminalVelocity
It would be nice if Alta would core dump every map they've written for the AP and host them on their site prior to them terminating help with the AP. that way folks could pick and choose what they might need if that need arises. That or mail downloads to custers who request it.

This ROM issue really is the biggest problem that I see. It was stated that Alta has seen minimal ROM updates ie. 2 in six months. For those with 2+ years left on their warranties that's actually pretty good odds that at some point your ECU will be updated at the dealer rendering your now unsupported AP useless.
When you do an update, you actually get a copy of all the known ROMs, so if you do an update in June, you will have all the current ROMs that we know of.

Again, it would be a good idea to tell the dealer to not update the ECU to make sure the AP still will work after July 2013.

Originally Posted by jrettew
Wow. Haven't been here in a while so just caught this news. Sad indeed. Still, here is the question/s: Whenever I run a tune, and I have a few that Jeff has provided, within a couple weeks, I always end up with CELs P2D52 P2DCC P2DCB. I gather these have to do with "superknock" and the corresponding cylinder. When I run the stage 0 map I don't get it. So I was wondering 2 things; 1. Given that the superknock seems intermittent, how bad is it to run a tune with it? and 2. Is it possible to program the Sport button to run a stage 0 equivalent when not engaged and an aggressive tune only when it is engaged? Thanks for any help and insight.

If you are getting knock only with our tune, most likely it's coming from spark plug gap, or carbon build up on the intake valves. It really should get fixed to make sure the car is running safely. The reason this can happen with an aftermarket tune is because the ECU is programmed to run more aggressive.

Old 12-17-2012, 11:11 AM
jrettew
2nd Gear
Thanks Chris. I don't know how to approach the dealer (it's still under warranty) about repair without revealing my special tuning :( Got any suggestions on that? Also, what about question 2, programming the sport button? I recall that being discussed here some time ago, but not the outcome.

Old 12-17-2012, 11:50 AM
TerminalVelocity
5th Gear

I'm an Auto.
Strange. I haven't heard other folks mention that as an issue. It may be something else that's causing that. I've had to maps sent by Jeff to fix an idle bounce issue. One for stage 1 92 oct and one for stage 1 FMIC 92 oct. Those updated maps have the idle sitting just right. This being the case I'm pretty sure ill need updated maps for every pre loaded map that came on my AP.

Old 12-17-2012, 12:03 PM
BlueToy
6th Gear
Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Another question for Alta/Chris...

Is the ending of AP support a legal/technical issue? If it is just business/money, I have no issue paying $100+ to update the ROM later in it's life. I understand providing free support for a discontinued product doesn't make business sense.

This is what I plan on doing for now in hopes of maintaining my Stage 1 efforts, but this isn't a good enough solution for me to proceed with putting more after market parts (i.e more money) in the car and going to a higher stage.
I'm wondering about this as well Chris. Is there any way Cobb would/could continue to support maps, updates for a fee? Could this be a viable solution?

-Steven

Old 12-17-2012, 02:34 PM
ALTA_Chris
Former Vendor
Originally Posted by jrettew
Thanks Chris. I don't know how to approach the dealer (it's still under warranty) about repair without revealing my special tuning :( Got any suggestions on that? Also, what about question 2, programming the sport button? I recall that being discussed here some time ago, but not the outcome.
If the dealer asks why, you can tell them you don't want to change it because you're happy with the tune right now, and don't want anything to change.

Originally Posted by BlueToy
I'm wondering about this as well Chris. Is there any way Cobb would/could continue to support maps, updates for a fee? Could this be a viable solution?

-Steven
COBB along with ALTA is unfortunately not going to keep supporting the AccessPORT past July 2013. Sorry! There's nothing that is going to change about this. But customer tuners, like OX Tuning will continue to make custom maps for the MINI AP. You can find a list of custom tuners for the MINI AP here: http://www.cobbtuning.com/Domestic-P...70754.htm#Mini

Old 12-17-2012, 04:08 PM
BlueToy
6th Gear
Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by ALTA_Chris
If the dealer asks why, you can tell them you don't want to change it because you're happy with the tune right now, and don't want anything to change.

COBB along with ALTA is unfortunately not going to keep supporting the AccessPORT past July 2013. Sorry! There's nothing that is going to change about this. But customer tuners, like OX Tuning will continue to make custom maps for the MINI AP. You can find a list of custom tuners for the MINI AP here: http://www.cobbtuning.com/Domestic-P...70754.htm#Mini
Thanks Chris, that at least is encouraging! When the time comes, do you suppose we will be emailing maps like Jeff has done with me? Thanks.

-Steven

Old 12-17-2012, 04:08 PM
TazMinianDevil
4th Gear
Originally Posted by ALTA_Chris
But customer tuners, like OX Tuning will continue to make custom maps for the MINI AP. You can find a list of custom tuners for the MINI AP here: http://www.cobbtuning.com/Domestic-P...70754.htm#Mini
Does that mean Ox Tuning could provide the ROM updates as Mini updates their ECU software?

Old 12-17-2012, 05:09 PM
ALTA_Chris
Former Vendor
Originally Posted by BlueToy
Thanks Chris, that at least is encouraging! When the time comes, do you suppose we will be emailing maps like Jeff has done with me? Thanks.

-Steven
Steven,

Other shops probably won't be tweaking our maps, but they could supply their own custom map, and tweak that if necessary. Their maps wouldn't be free though.

Does that mean Ox Tuning could provide the ROM updates as Mini updates their ECU software?
OX speed will not be able to add new ECUs, after July 2013, there will be no way to add new ECUs for the AP.

Old 12-17-2012, 07:16 PM
Wayne9125
1st Gear
A shop local to me does tuning for subarus with accessports...im guessing you need a different set up to tune the accessports for minis?

Old 12-17-2012, 07:47 PM
juchong
3rd Gear
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by IzzyG
Could you explain your first 2 sentences in detail? What do mean the car is undrivable in traffic?
Idling at 1K means that as soon as I let off of the brake, I move about 15 mph idling! I'm thinking that everyone that has had the bouncy idle issue has been using a Stage 1 tune, not a Stage 3. It makes sense that a more aggressive tune idling at higher RPM will be much less drivable.

Maybe it's just because of the aggressive tune, but I'd like to see a fix for the bouncy idle, but without raising the idle RPM.

Any chance we could get some info on the fix from Alta?

Old 12-17-2012, 09:29 PM
TerminalVelocity
5th Gear
Originally Posted by Wayne9125
A shop local to me does tuning for subarus with accessports...im guessing you need a different set up to tune the accessports for minis?
I believe so. It's called Access Tuner Pro and the software is in excess of $1,000. It may be double that as I can't recall for sure. I just remember it was expensive. I did a quick search for it and Cobb not only doesn't list it for sale anymore but they don't list anything MINI related. I'd guess finding the software might be next to impossible and finding a tuner willing to dish out the dough for what little return they'd get might be even more impossible.

As for asking dealers not to update ECU's on warrantied cars. I wonder if turning down an ECU update would in itself void a warranty? I have a great relationship with my dealer and plan on asking a few questions relating to all of this.

Minus the AP I'm already walking the razor's edge of having my warranty shredded at the whim of MINI. If they knew I was sporting a tune (and if something catastrophic were to happen I'm sure they'd find out) that'd be just about all they'd need to yank it. My main and only real concern is to make sure I have all the working maps I need for the mods I have planned and to not have any ECU updates done to my car after the July cutoff.

Old 12-18-2012, 08:43 AM
ALTA_Chris
Former Vendor
Idling at 1K means that as soon as I let off of the brake, I move about 15 mph idling! I'm thinking that everyone that has had the bouncy idle issue has been using a Stage 1 tune, not a Stage 3. It makes sense that a more aggressive tune idling at higher RPM will be much less drivable.

Maybe it's just because of the aggressive tune, but I'd like to see a fix for the bouncy idle, but without raising the idle RPM.

Any chance we could get some info on the fix from Alta?
Send Jeff an email on this, if you're having problems getting ahold of him, let me know, thanks!

Originally Posted by Wayne9125
The AccessPORT for the MINI requires different software, refer to the link I posted yesterday on shops that can make tunes for the MINI.

Old 12-20-2012, 12:01 PM
DelR56
1st Gear
I've seen a lot of going back and forth about this idle bounce and I'm a bit confused, maybe someone can clear it up. My 92 octane stage one map has done it a couple of times (only had it for a week). Is this bad for the car? Does it need to be addressed? I remember my car would do this sort of thing before I got the AP. It all still seems random. Any thoughts?

Old 12-20-2012, 12:22 PM
ALTA_Chris
Former Vendor
It won't hurt anything, it's just annoying.

Old 12-22-2012, 04:43 PM
MotorMouth
6th Gear
Originally Posted by ALTAPerformance
2) Sales of the MINI AccessPORT have not met a level to justify COBB Tuning making a MINI AccessPORT with the new hardware.
Perhaps if they had made it available for the last 2 years worth of new MINIs they would've sold more.

Old 12-23-2012, 09:20 AM
jtack
4th Gear
Anybody hear or know of problems with using the d1 spec throttle controller in conjunction with the AP? I am running the AP with the non linear map and the sport button on and I would still like the throttle to be more sensitive.

Old 12-28-2012, 06:17 PM
magoolll
1st Gear
Chris,
Would you please suggest which map I should use? I have a MCS 2008 with an NM catbach exhaust, NM high -flow induction kit and a Forge FMIC.
Thank you

Old 12-31-2012, 04:00 AM
Sacred Disorder
3rd Gear
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Chris,

Are maps locked to specific AP's? Since support will be ceasing soon it might be good for us to get a thread going to share maps that are already out there.

Old 12-31-2012, 10:28 AM
TerminalVelocity
5th Gear
Great idea! While all maps are supposed to be pre loaded on the AP's for specific vehicles (S, JCW, etc) sometimes those preloaded maps have issues. In my case, and others, its idle bounce. The preloaded maps won't fix that and I've needed updated maps from Jeff. It'd be nice to have a database of all the various maps available somewhere since there will come a time emailing Chris or Jeff won't be possible.

Edit: when I say preloaded for specific cars I don't mean individual cars but model/ECU type. I don't think maps are locked to specific vehicles.

Old 12-31-2012, 10:37 AM
ALTA_Chris
Former Vendor
Originally Posted by magoolll
Chris,
Would you please suggest which map I should use? I have a MCS 2008 with an NM catbach exhaust, NM high -flow induction kit and a Forge FMIC.
Thank you
Magoolll, you should run a stage 1 FMIC map with those modifications.

Originally Posted by Sacred Disorder
Chris,

Are maps locked to specific AP's? Since support will be ceasing soon it might be good for us to get a thread going to share maps that are already out there.
Maps are not made for specific APs, but they are made for specific ECU versions and transmissions. So for example, even if two 2009 MCS manuals have the AP, that doesn't mean they have the same ECU update. But exchanging custom maps won't be recommended, since they are made for specific cars only.

Old 12-31-2012, 10:45 AM
Ch28Kid
4th Gear
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
@ALTA_Chris

I have a AP right now. Lets say later down the road I decide to get a downpipe / turbo / Compressor Recirculating Valve and want a tune that can optimize for my new upgrades, will ALTA be available to tunes or after June 2013? ALTA will stop all support related to AP?

Quick Reply: Drivetrain The Official ALTA AccessPORT Thread