Drivetrain (Cooper S) MINI Cooper S (R56) intakes, exhausts, pulleys, headers, throttle bodies, and any other modifications to the Cooper S drivetrain.

Drivetrain The Official ALTA AccessPORT Thread

Old 04-25-2012, 09:58 AM
igotboost
1st Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
i'm eagerly awaiting the tune as well. apparently we're spoiled because the previous gen didn't get theirs for a few years. i want the powa now!

Old 04-25-2012, 12:26 PM
cgaubuchon
4th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by igotboost
i'm eagerly awaiting the tune as well. apparently we're spoiled because the previous gen didn't get theirs for a few years. i want the powa now!
Spoiled may be a bit of a stretch though. We are going on 2 years since the refresh and still no real progress from anyone on the 2011+ OBD tune. Hopefully, when it does happen, the same tunes being tweaked and refined currently will transfer over to the newer engines and we will have the benefit of not having to refine tunes specifically for our engines.

Still does not help having to wait though. I eagerly await to log on to NAM and see something about "AP now available for 2011" in the news section from Alta

Old 04-25-2012, 01:48 PM
X'sR55
1st Gear
Originally Posted by cgaubuchon
I would assume that they are being as transparent as possible with us about tunes on the 2011s, why wouldn't they be. We need an inside person at MINI/BMW to help crack the code to speed up the process. Soooooooo antsy waiting for a OBD tune to be available. Or, until my warranty expires, which will come first
This has nothing to do with the ability or inability to crack the encryption on the ECU which I believe is only 128bit(might be wrong on this). Having just left the VW scene specifically a 11 GTI which had the updated ECU from VW which was 256bit with a firewall on the OBD port (which required me to wiat all of three months for APR to release the new SW and HW for my car) It's fairly easy to get around the security protocols as evidenced by NM and others who do bench flashes. The BS about bench flashing these cars is just that BS it took 30min for my APR dealer to bench flash my GTI and after its flashed once the car can them be re flashed thru the OBD as stages are changed. Its the lack of knowledgeable or big(MONEY) tuning companies who have the capitol to really R&D these cars and also a platform that hasn't really grown past a niche market(No company is going to sink money and time into something they cant profit off of). That is why its taking YEARS to get tunes its not a HW issue HW is easily cracked, hacked, or circumvented.

Not trying to Shat on ALTA just want to tell people its not a security HW thing its really a money and lack of interest to bring the product to market faster thing.

Old 04-25-2012, 02:02 PM
sspreso11
2nd Gear
Originally Posted by X'sR55
This has nothing to do with the ability or inability to crack the encryption on the ECU which I believe is only 128bit(might be wrong on this). Having just left the VW scene specifically a 11 GTI which had the updated ECU from VW which was 256bit with a firewall on the OBD port (which required me to wiat all of three months for APR to release the new SW and HW for my car) It's fairly easy to get around the security protocols as evidenced by NM and others who do bench flashes. The BS about bench flashing these cars is just that BS it took 30min for my APR dealer to bench flash my GTI and after its flashed once the car can them be re flashed thru the OBD as stages are changed. Its the lack of knowledgeable or big(MONEY) tuning companies who have the capitol to really R&D these cars and also a platform that hasn't really grown past a niche market(No company is going to sink money and time into something they cant profit off of). That is why its taking YEARS to get tunes its not a HW issue HW is easily cracked, hacked, or circumvented.

Not trying to Shat on ALTA just want to tell people its not a security HW thing its really a money and lack of interest to bring the product to market faster thing.
Another example of this is the Caliber SRT-4 vs the Neon SRT-4. Some Caliber guys have been waiting for 6 years for a hand held tune option. If you can't produce a product that will give a decent ROI why bother. Many people howl at the $900 price tag of the AP, but what if it was $1800, $2400?

On a more cheerful note, just wait until the government starts mandating black boxes, brake/accelerator overrides, etc. Modifying the ECU will probably become a federal crime at that point.

Old 04-25-2012, 02:20 PM
cgaubuchon
4th Gear
Originally Posted by X'sR55

Sorry for the lack of understanding on this then, tried to find where I saw something about encryption being an issue but could not find the reference. That being said, and seeing your points to about 90%, I don't understand your reasoning behind tuners not seeing it as a profitable service. I for one see the current cost or more for the cobb/alta device as being justified since it can be qualified as an extension and by no means a requirement to a MINI.

It seems like the profit margins after something has been developed, considering the tool is probably low cost to produce/ship, and after selling over 100 units would make up for the costs to develop the hardware/software. All of this based off my general guestimations and by no means backed by science/economics so I apologize for and ignorance here.

So aside fromt the lack of backing for the bigger tuners, why are we now starting to see ECU tuning for 2011s (done by removing the ECU and voiding any warranty) but not any OBD tunes? This may be something that Alta has a better insight on as there are mre than a few shops able to ECU tune the "hard" way.

Sorry for a bit of hijacking and maybe this topic of why and how the tunes can help be developed for the newer ECU/engines should branch off into a thread where multiple tuners can chime in on the matter. At this point I just dont really see the hold up for a flash tune or why there is a lack of funding towards creating a tune.

As for legality of it in the future I see it the same as areas/counties restricting the ability to work on cars yourself. Sure, there will be restrictions but I think there will always be people "breaking" these rules.

Just my 2¢ on the matter. No offense meant to be given to any parties involved, posters or companies. Just hope it gets figured out in a manner that works for both sides of the fence.

Old 04-25-2012, 02:25 PM
X'sR55
1st Gear
Originally Posted by sspreso11
Another example of this is the Caliber SRT-4 vs the Neon SRT-4. Some Caliber guys have been waiting for 6 years for a hand held tune option. If you can't produce a product that will give a decent ROI why bother. Many people howl at the $900 price tag of the AP, but what if it was $1800, $2400?

On a more cheerful note, just wait until the government starts mandating black boxes, brake/accelerator overrides, etc. Modifying the ECU will probably become a federal crime at that point.
Yea bc $900 my sound like a lot but its not in comparison the APR flash is $1249 when not on sale ($549 when on sale) and that doesn't include labor to pull your ECU which is gen $75-$150 shop dependent. Plus you add in the $300 bucks for a VAGCOM cable(lets you change stuff in the ECU) that is included in the AP and you're over $1500.

Old 04-25-2012, 02:28 PM
sspreso11
2nd Gear
So aside fromt the lack of backing for the bigger tuners, why are we now starting to see ECU tuning for 2011s (done by removing the ECU and voiding any warranty) but not any OBD tunes? This may be something that Alta has a better insight on as there are mre than a few shops able to ECU tune the "hard" way.
It was explained to me that there are places with access to the Boshe/BMW software ($30-50k?) can rewrite the ECUs. The tuner was talking in general terms. Don't know the specifics. Seen similar comments last fall when a company in England started advertising that they had a 2011 tune.

Old 04-25-2012, 02:38 PM
X'sR55
1st Gear
Sorry for the lack of understanding on this then, tried to find where I saw something about encryption being an issue but could not find the reference. That being said, and seeing your points to about 90%, I don't understand your reasoning behind tuners not seeing it as a profitable service. I for one see the current cost or more for the cobb/alta device as being justified since it can be qualified as an extension and by no means a requirement to a MINI.

It seems like the profit margins after something has been developed, considering the tool is probably low cost to produce/ship, and after selling over 100 units would make up for the costs to develop the hardware/software. All of this based off my general guestimations and by no means backed by science/economics so I apologize for and ignorance here.

Sorry for a bit of hijacking and maybe this topic of why and how the tunes can help be developed for the newer ECU/engines should branch off into a thread where multiple tuners can chime in on the matter. At this point I just dont really see the hold up for a flash tune or why there is a lack of funding towards creating a tune.

As for legality of it in the future I see it the same as areas/counties restricting the ability to work on cars yourself. Sure, there will be restrictions but I think there will always be people "breaking" these rules.

Just my 2¢ on the matter. No offense meant to be given to any parties involved, posters or companies. Just hope it gets figured out in a manner that works for both sides of the fence.
No need to apologize I don't want to come off as snotty just many ppl on here always bring up the Security issue as the main culprit when its not. The biggest thing is a ROI the N18 is new and how long it will be here is to be seen. So why would a company sink money into a tuning device be it $100 or $10000 for a drive train that might only be here for 1-2myrs?? Lost profit and capitol is just that lost.

As for the number of Tuners qualed to tune the MINI as a whole there aren't many(as in like 2) where as other makes you have multiple vendors on the same platform which drives competition and profits so you already have a built in business case to be competitive and come to market with a new product here not so much.

I don't want to keep thread jacking ALTA's thread about Business cases and ROI's so lets make a new thread to speak openly about the future of the N18 tunes. MODs if you're reading this please move these replies to a better/new thread thanks.

Old 04-25-2012, 03:51 PM
cgaubuchon
4th Gear
Created a new thread to move this and hopefully future conversations to at:

https://www.northamericanmotoring.co...n18-minis.html

Hopefully this will keeps everyone up to speed and prevent hijacking on Alta's thread. Mods feel free to move any/all relevant posts to the other thread. Thanks

Old 04-25-2012, 10:01 PM
turtle343
4th Gear
try having a Euro spec 2007 S since new and still no AP!

Old 04-26-2012, 06:56 AM
Porthos
OVERDRIVE
Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts
We got a guy here in Jacksonville, Florida that is apparently tuning 2011+ MINIs. Tuned one of my buddies 2012. 205 at the wheels. I will see if he has the dyno sheet and I will post it up.

Old 04-26-2012, 07:51 AM
cgaubuchon
4th Gear
Originally Posted by Porthos
We got a guy here in Jacksonville, Florida that is apparently tuning 2011+ MINIs. Tuned one of my buddies 2012. 205 at the wheels. I will see if he has the dyno sheet and I will post it up.
Great news. I have created a 2011+ thread to keep everything in one place. If you get a dyno sheet or more details on who is doing it post it up there. Trying to keep this thread on topic with only AP posts.

Thanks

Old 04-26-2012, 12:20 PM
cmcveay
3rd Gear
Originally Posted by Porthos
205 after the tune?

Old 04-26-2012, 03:26 PM
Porthos
OVERDRIVE
205hp after the tune

Old 04-26-2012, 03:39 PM
automan21
5th Gear
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Shouldn't it be a bit more than 205? On full boost doesn't the S hit around 200hp? I could be wrong and correct me if I'm wrong.

Old 04-26-2012, 03:40 PM
Porthos
OVERDRIVE
*****I am moving this to the new N18 thread follow it there*****

Old 04-26-2012, 05:51 PM
CKeffer
3rd Gear
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by automan21
Shouldn't it be a bit more than 205? On full boost doesn't the S hit around 200hp? I could be wrong and correct me if I'm wrong.
Wheel and crank horsepower are different. A stock current S puts out 180 at the crank, so let's assume that after drive line losses they put down 165 at the wheels a tune that raises that figure to 205 at the wheels is a pretty sizeable increase and is damn impressive. After all, a 45hp bump is nothing to sneeze at.

Old 04-28-2012, 01:07 PM
MotorMouth
6th Gear
Originally Posted by lukwen
I don't know. This alta access port sounds like smoke of a different color. Im sorry dude. it obd2 does'nt everything that dude is diffenently not a good selling point for something that is eclipsing the thousand doller mark. Number 2 talkin about professionals doing the alta access tune for you on a dyno. What people need to get there stuff in order before going to dyno. For the regular guy it one thousand dollers to dyno. combinations of performance parts mini ain't like honda man with thousand of different performance options. Mabey interior exterior options but not performance wise. This is a 1000 doller unit the makers should have maps for a good 80percent of the combos. No unless I was to get the alta turbo I would not just run out and buy the. The unichip is good at least and gets to the point of making more power but in the end the regular ecu has tons of overhead for performance. People just want to do the work of puttin stuff like schrick cams in.
LoL.. I have a strong feeling you don't know what you are talking about.

Originally Posted by lukwen
Because of you I am finished with this website. And I blame you for not have the respect for other people on here.
You come on here spouting nonsense and someone is going to correct you. If you leave it's your loss.

Old 04-28-2012, 04:09 PM
Spice Orange JCW
4th Gear
I love how people do not want to believe what this unit can do. If you don't believe it find someone who has it and go for a ride with them. I am an owner of the Accessport and I can tell you it is an experience worth trying. Mine is set up to come on with the sport button. The button is now like having nitrous. When I push that button the car takes off. It will spin the tires in the first three gears. Second gear roll ons with spin the tires to no end. Just believe and get it.

Old 04-28-2012, 04:32 PM
Porthos
OVERDRIVE
Originally Posted by MotorMouth
LoL.. I have a strong feeling you don't know what you are talking about.

You come on here spouting nonsense and someone is going to correct you. If you leave it's your loss.
Name:  normal_Internet-SeriousBusiness.jpg
Views: 108
Size:  24.7 KB

Old 04-28-2012, 08:43 PM
automan21
5th Gear
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
I'd get it once they have it for a 2011 MCS. Money is in hand.

Old 04-28-2012, 09:55 PM
Minicircuit
1st Gear
Get the access port you will love it. My 2007 MCS is like a unleashed animal. Just finishing up on day 4 after the install of stage 1 map. All I have to say is make sure you hold onto the steering wheel. It was a significant improvement in so many ways. Better throttle response, more torque, seems like a lot more boost across a wider RPM range. Best performance upgrade I have ever made.

Old 04-29-2012, 12:37 AM
dboard7
4th Gear
I will be doing the update tomorrow and I would like to know what people have had success with on the track? I have had a couple times when the car falls flat on its face when I smash the gass but for the most part it runs good. I was looking to see what had worked best out on the track, tpms vs. Non ect. I will be out on the track Saturday so I wanted to be ready

Old 05-11-2012, 02:33 PM
ALTA_Chris
Former Vendor
This is a friendly reminder to remember to uninstall your AccessPORT before you take it into the dealer! If you don't, the dealer will update your ECU and the AccessPORT won't recognize your car.

Old 05-14-2012, 08:22 AM
mcmmotorsports
3rd Gear
Few questions, I have a stock '09 JCW that I will be making some upgrades to in the near future. Can I run the stage 2 tune with the stock JCW exhaust, CAI and FMIC? Would it be safe? If I should only do stage 1, how much to get the stage 2 after the initial purchase of the accessport?

Thanks

Last edited by mcmmotorsports; 05-14-2012 at 08:32 AM.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Drivetrain The Official ALTA AccessPORT Thread