Drivetrain (Cooper S) MINI Cooper S (R56) intakes, exhausts, pulleys, headers, throttle bodies, and any other modifications to the Cooper S drivetrain.

Drivetrain The Official ALTA AccessPORT Thread

Search this Thread

Old 04-11-2012, 04:02 PM
ALTA_Chris
Former Vendor
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by jaycoop2586
[SIZE=3][FONT=Calibri]Accessport newbie here. I got my AP about a month ago. Love the power gains. However, every time I run the car after its been sitting for a while (engine temp cooled down) for the first few minutes there is AAAA LOT of hesitation from the motor. I never try and throttle past it because I’m very nervous about detonation or hurting the car. I’m running the stage 3 “tsp” map. And yes I do have all the aftermarket parts and 92+ octane gas required for this tune. I also did a beta update first thing before installing the tune into the car. Aaannnndd my CEL is on. So I try and read the codes with the AP and it say either “no fault code found” or no codes found followed by “the AP cannot communicate with the car” error. [/FONT][/SIZE]
[FONT=Calibri][SIZE=3] [/SIZE][/FONT]
[SIZE=3][FONT=Calibri]Any assistance will be greatly appreciated. [/FONT][/SIZE]

If you haven't done an update in the last few weeks, do a new update with the beta update. There was a problem with one version a month or so ago that didnt allow people to read CELs, but it has been since fixed. So do a new beta update on the AP, uninstall the AP, then reinstall it again and it should be able to read CELs again.

It's normal for the car to feel sluggish when the car is totally cold. When the car warms up, it will go back to normal. Is this happening when the car is sitting overnight, or is it happening when it only sits for a few hours?

Old 04-11-2012, 05:40 PM
dboard7
4th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
So I just installed my FMIC and I’m debating between the Stage 1 FMIC maps and the Stage 3 maps. The stage 1 feels like the car is stock and less than the normal stage 1, and the stage 3 feels really choppy and not smooth. I’m not sure if it’s just me or is this true? I was previously on the stage 2 tune for almost a year and loved it! I'm located in the Chicago suburbs and do all of my track days in the Midwest; Blackhawk farms mostly. I'm not sure if the elevation has anything to do with it but I’ve read a few places that you should get a map biased on elevation. Can I still run the stage 2 with my current mods listed below?

Old 04-11-2012, 05:56 PM
Ginvent
2nd Gear
So sad.... No tune for me and my 2011 S :( I need more power any other suggestions
Or better yet updates?

Old 04-11-2012, 06:13 PM
Porthos
OVERDRIVE
Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts
I know someone here in Jacksonville, FL that is tuning 11+ MINIs

Old 04-11-2012, 06:28 PM
Bakerbrdz
Banned
Countryman countryman countrymannnnn!!!!!!!!!!

I want da powwa!!!

Old 04-11-2012, 08:21 PM
Porthos
OVERDRIVE
Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts
Old 04-12-2012, 05:33 AM
igotboost
1st Gear
Originally Posted by Ginvent
So sad.... No tune for me and my 2011 S :( I need more power any other suggestions
Or better yet updates?

Dude...I'm in the same boat. I've got the Helix FMIC installed and am planning on the exhuast setup for either the AP tune or the RMW. Still unsure of what route to take there due to warranty and CELs. I'd like to just swap out the stock with a sick 3" catless turbo back exhaust and swap the stock back on whenever I'd need inspection/warranty stuff.

Jacksonville is really far away from me, but it's nice to hear that there are tunes out there already.

Old 04-12-2012, 08:28 AM
jaycoop2586
3rd Gear
Originally Posted by ALTA_Chris
If you haven't done an update in the last few weeks, do a new update with the beta update. There was a problem with one version a month or so ago that didnt allow people to read CELs, but it has been since fixed. So do a new beta update on the AP, uninstall the AP, then reinstall it again and it should be able to read CELs again.

It's normal for the car to feel sluggish when the car is totally cold. When the car warms up, it will go back to normal. Is this happening when the car is sitting overnight, or is it happening when it only sits for a few hours?
Chris, thank you for responding to my post. I will do the beta update tonight. to be honest i get confused with the update stuff so i may call in. i've mostly noticed the hesitation after the car sits over night, but i have noticed it after an hour to 2 hour sit. I have a hard time believeing its anything but the car wanting to run at optimal operating temp because alllll symptoms disappear (accept the CEL) after the car runs for a few mins. Any ideas?

Old 04-12-2012, 08:31 AM
ALTA_Chris
Former Vendor
Originally Posted by dboard7
So I just installed my FMIC and I’m debating between the Stage 1 FMIC maps and the Stage 3 maps. The stage 1 feels like the car is stock and less than the normal stage 1, and the stage 3 feels really choppy and not smooth. I’m not sure if it’s just me or is this true? I was previously on the stage 2 tune for almost a year and loved it! I'm located in the Chicago suburbs and do all of my track days in the Midwest; Blackhawk farms mostly. I'm not sure if the elevation has anything to do with it but I’ve read a few places that you should get a map biased on elevation. Can I still run the stage 2 with my current mods listed below?

I think the Invidia replaces the second cat, so the stage 3 map should be good. The power should feel smooth. If you could email me with a datalog showing this, that will help to figure out what's going on. email me at maps@altaperformance.com with that if you can, or if you have any more questions.

Old 04-12-2012, 08:36 AM
ALTA_Chris
Former Vendor
Originally Posted by jaycoop2586
Chris, thank you for responding to my post. I will do the beta update tonight. to be honest i get confused with the update stuff so i may call in. i've mostly noticed the hesitation after the car sits over night, but i have noticed it after an hour to 2 hour sit. I have a hard time believing its anything but the car wanting to run at optimal operating temp because alllll symptoms disappear (accept the CEL) after the car runs for a few mins. Any ideas?

I still think try reflashing it with the beta update may make a difference. Try that first, if you have any questions, you can give us a call. It is normal for the car to feel sluggish when the car is first started in the morning, but it shouldn't be super noticeable unless you are really getting on it hard when the car is still cold.

Old 04-12-2012, 08:43 AM
jaycoop2586
3rd Gear
I still think try reflashing it with the beta update may make a difference. Try that first, if you have any questions, you can give us a call. It is normal for the car to feel sluggish when the car is first started in the morning, but it shouldn't be super noticeable unless you are really getting on it hard when the car is still cold.
i will def do the update and reflash first thing when i get home. I never get on it until the car has been running for at least 10 mins AT LEAST!. and i have to say i feel more than "sluggish" feedback from the car. Its some serious hesitation, to the point of having to accelorate like a granny. And thats ok, i am more than willing to deal with that as long as this "hesitation" isnt harmful to the little 1.6L .
Thanks again Chris.

Old 04-12-2012, 09:02 AM
ALTA_Chris
Former Vendor
OK, try doing that update, and datalog the hesitations tomorrow morning if you can. We'd for sure like to see that in a datalog. If you have any questions on how to do that, give me a call, thanks!

Old 04-13-2012, 04:51 AM
igotboost
1st Gear
what exhaust is required for the stage 4?

Old 04-13-2012, 06:28 AM
JPMM
6th Gear
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Anyone seen 24lbs of boost?

Has anyone seen 24 psi. Of boost?

Old 04-13-2012, 07:22 AM
dboard7
4th Gear
I think the Invidia replaces the second cat, so the stage 3 map should be good. The power should feel smooth. If you could email me with a datalog showing this, that will help to figure out what's going on. email me at maps@altaperformance.com with that if you can, or if you have any more questions.
Thanks i will to the new update and data log this weekend, maby im just not used to all the power lol

Old 04-13-2012, 08:28 AM
ALTA_Chris
Former Vendor
Originally Posted by igotboost
what exhaust is required for the stage 4?
Actually there is no premade stage 4 map, but generally anything over stage 1 FMIC is going to require a 2.5" catless turbo back, or 3" turbo back with high flow cats. Thanks!

Old 04-13-2012, 02:40 PM
SimpsonGI
Coordinator :: Emerald MINI Car Club
Originally Posted by igotboost
Dude...I'm in the same boat. I've got the Helix FMIC installed and am planning on the exhuast setup for either the AP tune or the RMW. Still unsure of what route to take there due to warranty and CELs. I'd like to just swap out the stock with a sick 3" catless turbo back exhaust and swap the stock back on whenever I'd need inspection/warranty stuff.

Jacksonville is really far away from me, but it's nice to hear that there are tunes out there already.
You'll get better customer service with ALTA.

Old 04-13-2012, 04:22 PM
magoolll
1st Gear
Accessport Newbie

Could you recommend an appropriate map for 2008 MCS with NM CIA and
NM Catback Exhaust.

Thanks

Old 04-13-2012, 04:27 PM
ALTA_Chris
Former Vendor
Magoolll, You should run a stage 1 map for your car and mods. There will be a map for 91 octane and one for 92. Make sure to run the appropriate map for the octane of fuel that is available in your area.

Old 04-13-2012, 04:27 PM
magoolll
1st Gear
Accessport Newbie

My error,

2008 MCS with NM Catback Exhaust and NM CAI

Old 04-13-2012, 04:30 PM
magoolll
1st Gear
Accessport newbie

Chris,
Thanks much.

Old 04-14-2012, 04:48 PM
magoolll
1st Gear
ALTA_Chris,

Would you explain the consequences of running a STAGE 2 map when the modifications suggest a STAGE 1. 2008 MCS with NM Catback Exhaust and NM CAI.

Thank you

Old 04-14-2012, 05:46 PM
JPMM
6th Gear
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
nobody?

has anyone seen 24psi?

Originally Posted by JPMM
Has anyone seen 24 psi. Of boost?

Old 04-14-2012, 06:23 PM
MotorMouth
6th Gear
Originally Posted by JPMM
anyone see 24 lbs on your 2009+ JCW?
I peaked 23lbs on my 09 JCW once or twice. A friends 2011 has seen as high as 25. Can't verify the accuracy of the gauges.

Originally Posted by Porthos
I know someone here in Jacksonville, FL that is tuning 11+ MINIs
Does he have to open the ecu to do it?

Old 04-15-2012, 03:18 PM
Hyland33
2nd Gear
Originally Posted by Ginvent
Or better yet updates?
There's a guy up here in MA tuning 2011+ coopers. Just needs to pull the ECU out

Quick Reply: Drivetrain The Official ALTA AccessPORT Thread