Drivetrain (Cooper S) MINI Cooper S (R56) intakes, exhausts, pulleys, headers, throttle bodies, and any other modifications to the Cooper S drivetrain.

Drivetrain The Official ALTA AccessPORT Thread

Search this Thread

Old 12-05-2011, 02:14 PM
SMOG
5th Gear
Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
Originally Posted by ALTA_Chris
SMOG,

Sorry for the confusion on the compatibility of the AccessPORT for the 2011 MCS. I have already corresponded with you through email, but I wanted everyone else to be aware that we are willing to take the AccessPORT back as long as the AccessPORT is in brand new condition and not used.

We are still working on compatibility on the 2011 MCS, but we don't have a ETA at this point.
Thanks Chris!

Stephen

Old 12-05-2011, 04:47 PM
djdraddy
Banned
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I have a question for the people at ALTA...

What is your product support policy to buyers/owners of AccessPort units originally purchased by a prior owner, or "second hand" owners?

Old 12-05-2011, 04:55 PM
ALTA_Chris
Former Vendor
Hello,

We offer customer support to customers that purchase the AccessPORT second hand, all maps are available for free. If a customer is looking for a custom map though, we may charge for it depending on the complexity of the map.

Old 12-06-2011, 06:28 PM
Cotnballs2000
2nd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Will the 2011-12 Cooper S / Clubman S AccessPORT currently in devolopment be compatable with the Countryman S ALL4?

Old 12-07-2011, 08:00 AM
ALTA_Chris
Former Vendor
Once the AP is ready for the 2011 + MCS, it should work on the Countryman also. But we'll have to wait and see if it'll work.

Old 12-07-2011, 08:04 AM
minimike21
5th Gear
Once the AP is ready for the 2011 + MCS, it should work on the Countryman also. But we'll have to wait and see if it'll work.
this may be a dumb question and may have got answered... hard to remember everything that has been written in this forum, but what goes into making the AP work for the 2011? is it just breaking the new codes?

Old 12-07-2011, 09:28 AM
mbwicz
6th Gear
Received 50 Likes on 43 Posts
Will the 'holiday sale' price on the AccessPORT last through the end of the year? Money is pretty tight right now, but I am hoping for a bonus at the end of the year, and this would be a great thing to spend that on.

Thanks,
Mike

Old 12-07-2011, 10:44 AM
ALTA_Chris
Former Vendor
Originally Posted by minimike21
this may be a dumb question and may have got answered... hard to remember everything that has been written in this forum, but what goes into making the AP work for the 2011? is it just breaking the new codes?
There's a lot of things that were changed in the engine for the 2011 MCS cars, which means there will be a lot of changes done to the tuning. Unfortunately, this isn't a quick process to break down. Once we get the tuning ready, then we will need to make new maps on a 2011 car.

Originally Posted by mbwicz
Will the 'holiday sale' price on the AccessPORT last through the end of the year? Money is pretty tight right now, but I am hoping for a bonus at the end of the year, and this would be a great thing to spend that on.

Thanks,
Mike
The sale on the AP is going on until the end of the year. You'll be cutting it close!

Old 12-09-2011, 06:39 PM
GP0256
5th Gear
Does anyone on this forum have the newest map for an Alta Intake, 93 octane gas, 2008 MCS Manual? I e-mailed Jeff @ Alta, but if someone can email them to me quicker, I would appreciate it. I don't expect those guys to work on the weekends!

Old 12-10-2011, 07:43 AM
rlw
3rd Gear
I'm pretty sure the Stage 1 Map for 92 octane is what you want. Did they post a new map for the Alta intake and 93 octane?

-RW-

Old 12-11-2011, 01:50 PM
fastrack1
2nd Gear
Alta,

What will your Accessport do for my 2008 JCW? I've attempted to read through all 89 pages but fell asleep Did I read somewhere that there was no point in a tune on the JCW? Doesn't sound right to me. Seems you would still produce some HP gains.

Old 12-11-2011, 06:17 PM
fastrack1
2nd Gear
Originally Posted by fastrack1
Alta,

What will your Accessport do for my 2008 JCW? I've attempted to read through all 89 pages but fell asleep Did I read somewhere that there was no point in a tune on the JCW? Doesn't sound right to me. Seems you would still produce some HP gains.
I just went to Alta site and my car isn't listed as one that is compatible Does this mean I can only do a custom tune?

Old 12-11-2011, 06:26 PM
MotorMouth
6th Gear
I just went to Alta site and my car isn't listed as one that is compatible Does this mean I can only do a custom tune?

Considering there were no 2008 JCWs in the US you may need to provide a bit more explanation before that question can be answered.

Old 12-12-2011, 03:39 AM
fastrack1
2nd Gear
Originally Posted by MotorMouth
Considering there were no 2008 JCWs in the US you may need to provide a bit more explanation before that question can be answered.
I guess it is an 08 with dealer installed engine kit, aero kit, exhaust and suspension then. Does that make any difference?

Old 12-12-2011, 04:03 AM
etalj
6th Gear
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
There is a point in doing it, but people find it hard to cough up ~900 for a tune when their car is already "tuned". Power difference will be significant

Old 12-12-2011, 06:11 AM
fastrack1
2nd Gear
Originally Posted by etalj
There is a point in doing it, but people find it hard to cough up ~900 for a tune when their car is already "tuned". Power difference will be significant
I thought the point of the Accessport is that is probably the most bang for your buck in hp gain? Does is matter that the car is a JCW if you still want additional power? I guess the question still remains. Can I use an AP on this 2008 JCW? Which one do I buy? The one for the 2008 MCS?

Alta, what type of hp gains would I expect on that car?

Old 12-12-2011, 10:03 AM
ALTA_Chris
Former Vendor
Originally Posted by JDUR56
Does anyone on this forum have the newest map for an Alta Intake, 93 octane gas, 2008 MCS Manual? I e-mailed Jeff @ Alta, but if someone can email them to me quicker, I would appreciate it. I don't expect those guys to work on the weekends!
To get the newest maps, uninstall the AccessPORT from your car, do an update on the AccessPORT using the AccessPORT Manager, then reinstall the appropriate ALTA map. We haven't changed the maps in quite some time now, so most likely you have the current map already.

Alta,

I thought the point of the Accessport is that is probably the most bang for your buck in hp gain? Does is matter that the car is a JCW if you still want additional power? I guess the question still remains. Can I use an AP on this 2008 JCW? Which one do I buy? The one for the 2008 MCS?

It seems like you have a MCS with the JCW tune. You will 25 WHP and 40 FT LBS to the wheels more than a factory MCS. We haven't dyno tested our maps vs the OEM MCS JCW maps yet.

It doesn't matter if you have a MCS or JCW, our tunes will make more power than the stock tunes.

There is only one AccessPORT for the Mini, so you can't get it wrong there. Thanks!

Old 12-13-2011, 04:56 PM
cstock
Neutral
Alta, what's the latest on the map with some pop and burble?? every time I hear a JCW I get soo jealous.

any info is helpful!!

thanks

Old 12-14-2011, 03:36 AM
GP0256
5th Gear
+1, when I hear my wifes R53 with a Borla Race exhaust go: WHAP WHAP WHAPP WHAPP WHAP when down shifting, I am thoroughly jealous. Can I add that pop to my R56 with the AP? I know there is a tuner who has done this, just didn't know if Alta had the map.

Old 12-14-2011, 07:34 AM
Jamesta2
1st Gear
Stage 1 and Reliability (Commuter Car)

I've been thinking about getting the accessport for some time now, but figured I'd wait and see how it wears overtime. My clubman is my daily driver and while i do enjoy mountain runs and aspire to track it some day, I also need it to be reliable and would like to drive it for atleast another 30-40k (37k on odo now).

So that being said, how is it working out for folks that deal with stop and go on a regular basis and average 12-15k a year? Not just mileage wise, but have you noticed any more wear and tear? I have mild upgrades, and would stick with Stage 1.

Thanks in advance for the responses.

Oh and btw. I am still considering swapping out to a 328i, but figured I might as well have some fun while I have the Mini whether it be 2 months or 2 more years.

-James

Old 12-14-2011, 08:01 AM
djdraddy
Banned
Originally Posted by Jamesta2
I've been thinking about getting the accessport for some time now, but figured I'd wait and see how it wears overtime. My clubman is my daily driver and while i do enjoy mountain runs and aspire to track it some day, I also need it to be reliable and would like to drive it for atleast another 30-40k (37k on odo now).

So that being said, how is it working out for folks that deal with stop and go on a regular basis and average 12-15k a year? Not just mileage wise, but have you noticed any more wear and tear? I have mild upgrades, and would stick with Stage 1.

Oh and btw. I am still considering swapping out to a 328i, but figured I might as well have some fun while I have the Mini whether it be 2 months or 2 more years.

-James
I'll bet you can count on a lot more tire wear!

Old 12-15-2011, 06:33 AM
///Mflossin
4th Gear
I have been daily driving stage I for 11K miles with no issues.

Old 12-15-2011, 09:47 AM
ALTA_Chris
Former Vendor
Originally Posted by cstock
Alta, what's the latest on the map with some pop and burble?? every time I hear a JCW I get soo jealous.

any info is helpful!!

thanks
No new info right now, sorry! It's still not something that we are 100% is going to be released.

Originally Posted by Jamesta2

-James
The car will be just as reliable as before, when we made our maps, we made a good tune that will make more power than stock, but has all the stock safety programming to keep the car safe. Also keep in mind our maps only really come in to play at higher load, so 90% of the time, you are running the stock parameters.

Old 12-15-2011, 05:57 PM
MotorMouth
6th Gear

While I can't give you numbers, it will be a definite noticeable difference.

Old 12-15-2011, 08:15 PM
MiniBOL
4th Gear
Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts
It seems like you have a MCS with the JCW tune. You will 25 WHP and 40 FT LBS to the wheels more than a factory MCS. We haven't dyno tested our maps vs the OEM MCS JCW maps yet....
Correct me if I'm wrong but I thought if one has the JCW tune on an MCS and decides to go with the AP, the AP tune being used will overwrite the JCW tune?!

On a side note, I hope ALTA decides to add that burble & pop on the AP as well as extra power option when you hit the sport button! TAKE NOTE of this REQUEST PLEASE. LOL

Quick Reply: Drivetrain The Official ALTA AccessPORT Thread