Drivetrain (Cooper S) MINI Cooper S (R56) intakes, exhausts, pulleys, headers, throttle bodies, and any other modifications to the Cooper S drivetrain.

Drivetrain The Official ALTA AccessPORT Thread

Search this Thread

Old 09-24-2011, 01:48 PM
Porthos
OVERDRIVE
Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts
Still waiting on a fix to the problem. Sent a data log about a week ago haven't heard anything about it yet.

Old 09-25-2011, 08:16 AM
rlw
3rd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
FMIC = Front Mounted InterCooler
TPS = Throttle Position Sensor

Good Luck, laddie!

Old 09-25-2011, 10:16 AM
DneprDave
6th Gear
Received 85 Likes on 77 Posts
The stock intercooler is front mounted. Why do they call the oversized aftermarket intercooler an FMIC and not an oversized intercooler?

Dave

Old 09-25-2011, 01:03 PM
Porthos
OVERDRIVE
Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts
FMIC= Front mount inter cooler

Old 09-26-2011, 08:28 AM
ALTA_Chris
Former Vendor
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
It looks like you purchased your AccessPORT used. Even when an AccessPORT is uninstalled from a car, it will show the maps that applied to their car when you plug the AccessPORT into your car using the AccessPORT Manager. The TPS maps are only available if your car is a manual.

When an AccessPORT is brand new, it won't show any maps when it's plugged into a computer. If your car is stage 1 and run 91 octane, then run a normal stage 1 map for 91 octane.

Porthos, could you resend your info and description of your problem? Sorry for not getting back to you.

Originally Posted by Flyinace2000
I just got an AP and it has the following maps loaded. How do i know what each does?

I haven't hooked it up to my car yet, just updated the firmware.

Old 09-30-2011, 05:25 PM
mamut
3rd Gear
Is this normal: hitting 15psi and it creeps up to 16-17psi?
Im not hitting overboost either.

Like a month or 2 ago I hit overboost and it spiked @ 18-19 and slowly steadied @ 16-17.

The only change i did is cut out the 2nd cat and resonator.

Old 10-01-2011, 07:13 AM
Maugre
5th Gear
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Your wastegate actuator might be sticking a little causing a bit of creep, but as long as it's not uncotrolled you're OK.
Who knows, your car might like 16-17 PSI. Good luck.

Old 10-01-2011, 05:47 PM
Octane
3rd Gear
I think my wastegate actuator might be sticking some of the time. Does anyone know where to get a new wastegate actuator OEM or aftermarket?

Old 10-02-2011, 07:47 PM
MotorMouth
6th Gear
New month.. time to ask -

Status on AP for 2011+ ??

Old 10-03-2011, 08:40 AM
ALTA_Chris
Former Vendor
Originally Posted by mamut
Is this normal: hitting 15psi and it creeps up to 16-17psi?
Im not hitting overboost either.

Like a month or 2 ago I hit overboost and it spiked @ 18-19 and slowly steadied @ 16-17.

The only change i did is cut out the 2nd cat and resonator.
Normally the boost level on the Minis go up, then steadly go down closer to redline. Are you still running the stage 1 FMIC map? To tell the max boost, it's best to do a datalog flooring it from 2,000 RPMs to redline in 3rd gear.

Originally Posted by MotorMouth
New month.. time to ask -

Status on AP for 2011+ ??
No new news, don't expect any new news at the earliest the beginning of 2012.

Old 10-04-2011, 05:41 AM
Bravo Zulu
2nd Gear
No new news, don't expect any new news at the earliest the beginning of 2012.[/QUOTE]

Is this typical of previous APs, or is the N18 ECU just that much more difficult to break?

Old 10-04-2011, 06:04 AM
quality_sound
5th Gear
From what I learned, BMW is making new ECUs (2012 and newer) FAR more difficult to crack and modify.

Old 10-04-2011, 09:05 AM
ALTA_Chris
Former Vendor
It takes time to do everything, open up the ECU, break it down, make maps, etc. It is coming for sure.

Old 10-04-2011, 03:01 PM
fast2ghl
2nd Gear
Has anybody noticed any issues with oil consumption while tuned?

I'm only asking because It seems right around the time I installed the AP, I started noticing my oil levels magically dropping and pretty quickly... I don't drive the heck out of my car, but I like to enjoy it from time to time...

I have since uninstalled the tune last week and noticed my oil levels are totally fine again, not dropping....

Now I'm not wanting to be quick to blame the tune for anything because I have had some work done around the valve gaskets earlier in the year by BMW, as well as the Chain Tensioner fix, all three variations... I've read that oil consumption can be affected by that fix, however I never really noticed anything until I installed the AP.

An area of concern;

Car now has 103,500 km's on it. (63,311 miles)

Just last week before I uninstalled the AP my buddy was driving behind me and noticed a small puff of blue out of the exhaust as I accelerated away from a stop (very mild acceleration as well, not hard or fast at all). We eventually popped the hood and I pointed out to him that over the last month or so I had started to notice that the head gasket, and all the bolts were oily looking... all the way around the top... By this time as well I was having to put about 1L of oil in the car I'd say every week to week and a half or less.... I don't know about you guys, but that kinda scares me... that's ridiculous oil consumption... Maybe its normal for these engines?

Anyway I have not noticed any blue smoke or any oil smell before or since my buddy spotted the puff last week, and there are also no leaks, never any oil spots when it sits, nothing to indicate any issue accept for the magically disappearing oil levels and the oily looking head gasket.

Now like I mentioned, some work was done around the head area by BMW back in march, and maybe it has to do with them, but I have a sneaking suspicion, and trust me I don't want to believe this, that the boost levels I was seeing (17-19psi) with the tune, were wreaking havoc with the head gasket, and potentially the rest of the engine... somehow, somewhere, a bit of oil got burned, so either by the valves, the turbo seal, somehow it found its way into the combustion side of things... we have also noticed "blow-by" when we removed the turbo inlet tube... I'm no mechanic so I'm just trying to describe what I've noticed...

I'm just info digging, has anybody noticed oil levels differing with the AP installed? And I was Stage 1 tune, custom intake, res and 2nd cat removed... thats it.... mild at best....

Old 10-04-2011, 04:40 PM
DneprDave
6th Gear
Received 85 Likes on 77 Posts
Do you have an oil catch can on the hose from the head cover to the turbocharger?

If not, that is probably where the oil you found in the turbocharger intake came from. When the engine is under boost, that line is your PCV hose.

Dave

Old 10-04-2011, 06:34 PM
yanks4285
2nd Gear
Question, I have a 2011 MCS, can I purchase an AccessPort now and when the maps for the 2011 are ready be uploaded to the current AccessPort? or will the 2011's have a new handheld?

Old 10-04-2011, 07:05 PM
ThumperMCS
6th Gear
Received 19 Likes on 14 Posts
Originally Posted by fast2ghl

I'm only asking because It seems right around the time I installed the AP, I started noticing my oil levels magically dropping and pretty quickly... I don't drive the heck out of my car, but I like to enjoy it from time to time...

I have since uninstalled the tune last week and noticed my oil levels are totally fine again, not dropping....

Now I'm not wanting to be quick to blame the tune for anything because I have had some work done around the valve gaskets earlier in the year by BMW, as well as the Chain Tensioner fix, all three variations... I've read that oil consumption can be affected by that fix, however I never really noticed anything until I installed the AP.

An area of concern;

Car now has 103,500 km's on it. (63,311 miles)

Just last week before I uninstalled the AP my buddy was driving behind me and noticed a small puff of blue out of the exhaust as I accelerated away from a stop (very mild acceleration as well, not hard or fast at all). We eventually popped the hood and I pointed out to him that over the last month or so I had started to notice that the head gasket, and all the bolts were oily looking... all the way around the top... By this time as well I was having to put about 1L of oil in the car I'd say every week to week and a half or less.... I don't know about you guys, but that kinda scares me... that's ridiculous oil consumption... Maybe its normal for these engines?

Anyway I have not noticed any blue smoke or any oil smell before or since my buddy spotted the puff last week, and there are also no leaks, never any oil spots when it sits, nothing to indicate any issue accept for the magically disappearing oil levels and the oily looking head gasket.

Now like I mentioned, some work was done around the head area by BMW back in march, and maybe it has to do with them, but I have a sneaking suspicion, and trust me I don't want to believe this, that the boost levels I was seeing (17-19psi) with the tune, were wreaking havoc with the head gasket, and potentially the rest of the engine... somehow, somewhere, a bit of oil got burned, so either by the valves, the turbo seal, somehow it found its way into the combustion side of things... we have also noticed "blow-by" when we removed the turbo inlet tube... I'm no mechanic so I'm just trying to describe what I've noticed...

I'm just info digging, has anybody noticed oil levels differing with the AP installed? And I was Stage 1 tune, custom intake, res and 2nd cat removed... thats it.... mild at best....
First things first....

Do a compression test and leakdown test...it will tell you more than trying to sit here and guess what the problem is.

The blowby is normal...but blue smoke out the back is not, nor is oil around the headgasket. The AP is not the cause of the oil loss, the increased boost is probably amplifying an underlying problem.

Old 10-04-2011, 10:13 PM
djdraddy
Banned
Originally posted by fast2ghl

Wow. Sorry, but I find this entire line of thought absurd...

Move on please, nothing to see here.

Old 10-04-2011, 11:57 PM
Achilles honor
6th Gear
Originally Posted by djdraddy

wow really?

Old 10-05-2011, 08:26 AM
ThumperMCS
6th Gear

Chill out....he had a completely valid and well written question.

Old 10-05-2011, 01:10 PM
fast2ghl
2nd Gear

You know what, I find it absurd myself.... but it is what it is.... I can't explain it... The level isn't dropping now with the stock tune.

I just replaced my spark plugs yesterday, pulled the old ones out and they were toasted... there was a very small amount of burned oil residue (crusted brown) on the tips of the plugs to indicate that smoke my buddy saw was probably blue... but like I mentioned originally I haven't seen any more before or since then... Car seems totally fine... Its extremely odd...

Bottom line, my original question was just if anybody had noticed anything strange with oil levels and consumption since being tuned?

Honestly I wouldn't put anything odd like this past these cars, I've had two of them now, and although they are fun as heck to drive, they are beyond quirky and just plain weird sometimes...

Anyway, keep the thoughts coming if you guys have any? I appreciate it.

Old 10-05-2011, 01:33 PM
ALTA_Chris
Former Vendor
Originally Posted by yanks4285
Question, I have a 2011 MCS, can I purchase an AccessPort now and when the maps for the 2011 are ready be uploaded to the current AccessPort? or will the 2011's have a new handheld?
The AccessPORT for the 2011 car will use the same AccessPORT with updated software, so you will be good!

Old 10-05-2011, 02:59 PM
ThumperMCS
6th Gear
Originally Posted by fast2ghl
You know what, I find it absurd myself.... but it is what it is.... I can't explain it... The level isn't dropping now with the stock tune.

I just replaced my spark plugs yesterday, pulled the old ones out and they were toasted... there was a very small amount of burned oil residue (crusted brown) on the tips of the plugs to indicate that smoke my buddy saw was probably blue... but like I mentioned originally I haven't seen any more before or since then... Car seems totally fine... Its extremely odd...

Bottom line, my original question was just if anybody had noticed anything strange with oil levels and consumption since being tuned?

Honestly I wouldn't put anything odd like this past these cars, I've had two of them now, and although they are fun as heck to drive, they are beyond quirky and just plain weird sometimes...

Anyway, keep the thoughts coming if you guys have any? I appreciate it.
If you have oil residue on your spark plugs that is indicative of blow-by past the rings....not good.

Compression test and leakdown test like I said!

Old 10-06-2011, 03:40 PM
Joey Mojo
3rd Gear
I have a 2010 R55 turbo with an AP running stage 1 w/ FMIC. I have been considering getting the JCW package as well lately. I am curious if the AP maps would work on the regular S with the JCW tune? I know the factory JCW model uses a larger turbo, and I've been told by the dealership that the JCW upgrade does not include the turbo. Would there be any fuel delivery problems or timing issues when combining the AP with the JCW upgrade?

Old 10-06-2011, 04:36 PM
ThumperMCS
6th Gear
Originally Posted by Joey Mojo
I have a 2010 R55 turbo with an AP running stage 1 w/ FMIC. I have been considering getting the JCW package as well lately. I am curious if the AP maps would work on the regular S with the JCW tune? I know the factory JCW model uses a larger turbo, and I've been told by the dealership that the JCW upgrade does not include the turbo. Would there be any fuel delivery problems or timing issues when combining the AP with the JCW upgrade?

You'd be taking a step backwards...

It would make 0 sense to get the JCW kit when you are already running an AP+FMIC+JCW CAI. What is it that you think you're going to get with it?

Quick Reply: Drivetrain The Official ALTA AccessPORT Thread