Drivetrain (Cooper S) MINI Cooper S (R56) intakes, exhausts, pulleys, headers, throttle bodies, and any other modifications to the Cooper S drivetrain.

Drivetrain Helix short shift kit

Search this Thread

Old 09-09-2009, 07:40 AM
CaMiniMe
2nd Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Helix short shift kit

i installed the helix SSK a few weeks ago and everything went fine, easy install, shifted fine but now im experiencing some problems. i've read by some people that it takes a little more force to shift. right after i installed it, it felt great but as time goes on it gets more and mroe difficult to shift in and out of 2nd and 4th gear. its to the point now where i really have to muscle it into those gears. taking it out of 4th takes so much force that it goes right past nuetral and into 3rd gear. so my question is, does anyone know what might be causing this and how i might fix it?

thank you

Old 09-12-2009, 11:04 PM
dunphyj
4th Gear
Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts
the only thing that this could be would be the piece is loose... there shouldn't be anything in the shifter or the piece that could make shifting harder...i mean it's known that aftermarket short shift kits will have a heavier shifter head to make shifting easier... but i highly doubt anything would make shifting harder in only two gears...

Old 09-13-2009, 12:12 PM
CaMiniMe
2nd Gear
i checked the piece and its solid. i used loctite on the set screw so it shouldnt come lose. however i did notice something that made shifting easier. i decided to drive i hard and really shift fast and hard and after that the shifting became much easier. i did install the polyeurathane mounts not long before i did the SSK. could it be that shifting hard shifted the motor slightly and thats affecting my shifting? after a few days of driving the shifter started getting harder again....i drove it hard and instatly shifting became easier. anyone else with the poly mounts experience anything similar?

Old 09-13-2009, 07:40 PM
etalj
6th Gear
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I would message helix and ask them what could be wrong. They are a great company, and this problem doesn't sound normal....

Old 09-13-2009, 07:56 PM
Stig One
Banned
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by dunphyj
the only thing that this could be would be the piece is loose... there shouldn't be anything in the shifter or the piece that could make shifting harder...i mean it's known that aftermarket short shift kits will have a heavier shifter head to make shifting easier... but i highly doubt anything would make shifting harder in only two gears...
If it is not the shifter get ready to open your wallet

There is a reason it is called a moneyshift

Old 09-23-2009, 08:22 AM
ColinMc
4th Gear
This happened to my car...without the short shift. The clutch was replaced under warrantee...throwout bearing was causing the problem. Apparently they also replaced my shift linkage as well...don't think they would have done so if I'd installed the short shift kit...might want to try putting it back to stock and see if the problem persists.

Old 09-24-2009, 07:44 AM
CaMiniMe
2nd Gear
thanks for that info. was your problem by any chance intermittent? im noticing the difficulty shifting is harder some days and smooth as silk other days

Old 09-24-2009, 07:56 AM
ColinMc
4th Gear
Nah it was all the time...so possibly something different than your problem. But just to eliminate what you changed putting it back to stock would be a good first step in figuring out the problem.