Drivetrain (Cooper S) MINI Cooper S (R53) intakes, exhausts, pulleys, headers, throttle bodies, and any other modifications to the Cooper S drivetrain.

Drivetrain Mynes Headers Throwing Codes, Say It Ain't So

Search this Thread

Old 05-02-2009, 07:58 AM
big howe
5th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Mynes Headers Throwing Codes, Say It Ain't So

https://www.northamericanmotoring.co...07-post70.html

Quote:
Originally Posted by oxtox
greetings from the dragon! my car is pullin like mad

if you know someone at the dragon ask them if they heard the brg cabrio. i am the loudest car here....but have received many compliments.

a slight fitment issue with the milltek can...fixed. and in the interest of absolute truth (sometimes a novelty on nam) i got a p0420 code after cruising about 200 miles @ 75. a friend cleared the code and it has not occurred....and i have been doing at least 3 runs a day....and i have not been gentle.

Old 05-02-2009, 08:43 AM
discodan
5th Gear
OH SNAP!!!

Old 05-02-2009, 08:51 AM
DrPhilGandini
My little dose of LITHIUM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Despite stating the obvious that all this is quite funny, I'd like to report here that after 2 years or so of running my CMC header with race cat, I have passed emissions tests and never pulled an exhaust related code.
If you guys would simply call up Juston and stop messing around with these other headers it would all stop.
...or not.

Good luck with the Mynes header.

btw, might the problem not be with the header--but rather the interaction of the header with the catback system being run?

Old 05-02-2009, 09:34 AM
//MZero
4th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
ROFLLMFAO!!!!!!

Thats all I can say.

Old 05-02-2009, 11:25 AM
Revolution Mini Works
Banned
Originally Posted by DrPhilGandini
Despite stating the obvious that all this is quite funny, I'd like to report here that after 2 years or so of running my CMC header with race cat, I have passed emissions tests and never pulled an exhaust related code.
If you guys would simply call up Juston and stop messing around with these other headers it would all stop.
...or not.

Good luck with the Mynes header.

btw, might the problem not be with the header--but rather the interaction of the header with the catback system being run?

that's the funny part, we have race headers running for 2-3yrs with no codes too.... the more you make... the more chance that one will go bad. Not to mention there was like 6 or so of these that were made... what's the failure rate on that?

it's not the catback

Old 05-02-2009, 11:26 AM
Longboard Mini
6th Gear

Stuff happens!

Longboard

Originally Posted by big howe
https://www.northamericanmotoring.co...07-post70.html

Quote:
Originally Posted by oxtox
greetings from the dragon! my car is pullin like mad

if you know someone at the dragon ask them if they heard the brg cabrio. i am the loudest car here....but have received many compliments.

a slight fitment issue with the milltek can...fixed. and in the interest of absolute truth (sometimes a novelty on nam) i got a p0420 code after cruising about 200 miles @ 75. a friend cleared the code and it has not occurred....and i have been doing at least 3 runs a day....and i have not been gentle.

Old 05-02-2009, 11:35 AM
Revolution Mini Works
Banned
I'll post up some instant classics.... this will be good

https://www.northamericanmotoring.co...0-post253.html

04-30-2009, 04:05 AM
ez1putt vbmenu_register("postmenu_2751660", true);
2nd Gear

Gallery
If he had done the proper testing on his header, which it is obvious that he didn't, he would not be in this mess. You should not sell a product and depend on your customers to be beta testers it's not right.

Old 05-02-2009, 12:50 PM
ez1putt
3rd Gear
Hey I know....Let's wait see how they handle it. THEN we can compare.

Old 05-02-2009, 01:17 PM
Revolution Mini Works
Banned
Originally Posted by ez1putt
Hey I know....Let's wait see how they handle it. THEN we can compare.
You went from the kettle straight into the fire

Karma is a killer

Old 05-02-2009, 01:50 PM
muladesigns1
6th Gear
What would make a header throw codes in the first place if you placed all the 02 sensors and such back where they belong?
Is the computer sensing to much air and not compensating?

Old 05-02-2009, 01:58 PM
ez1putt
3rd Gear
Originally Posted by Revolution Mini Works
You went from the kettle straight into the fire

Karma is a killer
And what do you mean by this???????

Old 05-02-2009, 02:32 PM
//MZero
4th Gear
Originally Posted by muladesigns1
What would make a header throw codes in the first place if you placed all the 02 sensors and such back where they belong?
Is the computer sensing to much air and not compensating?
The P0420 code is simply a catalytic converter efficiency code...meaning the cat is not cleaning the exhaust enough.

http://www.obd-codes.com/p0420

The code that some got afterwards with the RMW header:

P0036 HO2S Heater Control Circuit (Bank 1 Sensor 2)

Is likely not related to the header or cat at all, but to the sensor itself. The sensors have wires that heat up the element to get them operating are reading correctly faster. If they are not heating up...P0036 becomes your friend.

Old 05-02-2009, 02:37 PM
muladesigns1
6th Gear
Originally Posted by //MZero
The P0420 code is simply a catalytic converter efficiency code...meaning the cat is not cleaning the exhaust enough.

http://www.obd-codes.com/p0420

The code that some got afterwards with the RMW header:

P0036 HO2S Heater Control Circuit (Bank 1 Sensor 2)

Is likely not related to the header or cat at all, but to the sensor itself. The sensors have wires that heat up the element to get them operating are reading correctly faster. If they are not heating up...P0036 becomes your friend.
So I assume that placement is fairly critical in order to get the rite temp and air flow readings then.

Old 05-02-2009, 02:53 PM
//MZero
4th Gear
Originally Posted by muladesigns1
So I assume that placement is fairly critical in order to get the rite temp and air flow readings then.
Placement of the sensor or placement of the cat? The 2nd sensor should be able to be placed anywhere after the cat except for below the horizontal position so that condensation can't accumulate on the sensor. Most companies put it back in the stock location though as wiring length is limited. The heating of the sensor isn't complicated at all, just a power wire and ground wire go to the sensor (4-wire sensor) and power the heating element internal to the sensor itself. As for airflow readings...well, in a round-a-bout way of saying, thats how a lot of people get away with having a less efficient cat. They take it out of the direct airflow and the sensor doesn't see all the same dirty air, thus thinking the cat is good.

Placement of the cat does matter as it does need to reach operating temp to work correctly, but again, the companies that make aftermarket headers typically put one in the same location.

The thing that is funny about this whole situation is that I remember reading some of Mynes posts bashing RMW because their header design wouldn't throw codes. In the end all companies will have a few hiccups. Its how they handle them that matters, I still respect Mynes, I just hope this humbles them ever so slightly because boy do they need it. Does this mean Mynes design is bad? No. But maybe it will make some people on here put on some fresh underwear to get their panties out of a bunch. Good luck Mynes, I'm sure you wont have many of these P0420's and that you will help out your customers

Old 05-02-2009, 03:03 PM
muladesigns1
6th Gear
I meant placement of the sensor. Thanks for clarifiying it up for me.

as far as the "southwest war of the minis" goes, I'm switzerland
I met the guys from mynes a few times at some mini events, and they have been very friendly with me, there wrenching capabilities are superior to mine, so with that said.
I will stick to the cosmetics end of the industry. I like to repair and customize. I'll leave the "go fast" products to the pros!

Old 05-02-2009, 05:08 PM
davisflyer
6th Gear
Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts
I can't help but chuckle a little bit about this, given all the hype that the Mynes peeps gave to their header being code free.

Last edited by davisflyer; 05-03-2009 at 06:23 AM.
Old 05-02-2009, 05:19 PM
JIMINNI
Banned
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I just hope this humbles them ever so slightly because boy do they need it.
What does this mean? They aren't humble enough for you? Also, I just checked the RMW code thread, and you know what........I see no posts from Mynes in there.........I already see 2 posts from RMW in this thread.....whats that tell you

Old 05-02-2009, 05:47 PM
the platform
5th Gear
Uhh oohhh!

I read the initial post last night....but refrained from zapping.
Looks like the story has broke now
After all the ***** slung towards RMW.
karma is a bizatch...aint it?

Old 05-02-2009, 11:56 PM
Longboard Mini
6th Gear
Originally Posted by the platform
I read the initial post last night....but refrained from zapping.
Looks like the story has broke now
After all the ***** slung towards RMW.
karma is a bizatch...aint it?
Yes it is

LB

Old 05-03-2009, 12:22 AM
//MZero
4th Gear
Originally Posted by JIMINNI
What does this mean? They aren't humble enough for you? Also, I just checked the RMW code thread, and you know what........I see no posts from Mynes in there.........I already see 2 posts from RMW in this thread.....whats that tell you

On the internet...no they sure aren't humble (and I didn't say that Jan is ). But I've never met the Mynes guys in person, and I honestly do give them the benefit of the doubt. They are trying to break into a market selling performance parts during hard times and have a great guy to compete with. Its not their motives I question, but their methods. I also never said the posts I read were in the "RMW code thread" simply that I read them.

As a person who has not a single RMW or Mynes part on his car, I believe I'm the market both parties are looking for. I've wanted RMW parts for quite some time, as they have been the best. Now with Mynes new to the game I CAN be swayed to the dark side, or is it the light side . But honestly this pissing match over the past few months is not how to win potential customers like myself over.

Anyway...I'm tired, and waking up for an autoX in Marina at 4:45AM. Good night

Old 05-03-2009, 12:25 AM
//MZero
4th Gear
Oh, one more thing. This "throwing codes" thing really would NOT be a big deal AT ALL if certian RMW customers and Mynes didn't make it a big deal. It would have been handled.

Hence the overzealous joy for karmatic retribution by other members.

Old 05-03-2009, 05:55 AM
Mini_Joe
3rd Gear
Originally Posted by Longboard Mini

Stuff happens!

Longboard
Not to mention... OBDII happens as well!
I remember when the Nissans went to OBDII in 1996 I believe... it made it very hard to remap the ECU, touch anything computer related, etc. back when they first came out.

Silly emissions!!!

Old 05-03-2009, 06:58 AM
big howe
5th Gear
Oh, one more thing. This "throwing codes" thing really would NOT be a big deal AT ALL if certian RMW customers and Mynes didn't make it a big deal. It would have been handled.

Old 05-03-2009, 11:01 AM
the platform
5th Gear

I usually comment when I've read my share of pedantic verse.
I don't post enough around here to be labeled overzealous.
I do however have copious amounts of zeal for driving my car .

Old 05-03-2009, 02:15 PM
oxtox
6th Gear
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

big deal?

i posted the code because i've said a lot of good things about the mynes header, heck, i did a vid so that people could see/hear for themselves. in my posts, i said several times that i had no cel. i've had plenty pm's asking me about the header before and since the cel. surprisingly, people seem pretty interested in what the guy with one of the first mynes headers is experiencing.

anyhoo, since i had said at least twice in other posts that i had no code, i felt compelled to post about the code that occurred on my way to the dragon. it is not a big deal to me....but obviously is to others. i respect and like jan....has never been too busy to answer questions or help me. on the header, i decided to try mynes, they have also been very responsive. i suspect i'll be dealing with both in the future....so i was kinda bummed that my post turned into this thread.....the kind of stuff that will ultimately kill off nam if the bs continues to overshaddow the information!!

i'll keep everyone up to date in the mynes header thread.

Last edited by oxtox; 05-03-2009 at 02:37 PM.

Quick Reply: Drivetrain Mynes Headers Throwing Codes, Say It Ain't So