North American Motoring

North American Motoring (https://www.northamericanmotoring.com/forums/)
-   Drag Racing (https://www.northamericanmotoring.com/forums/drag-racing-130/)
-   -   Launch Tips? (https://www.northamericanmotoring.com/forums/drag-racing/99433-launch-tips.html)

DrkSilver163 04-27-2007 09:01 AM

Launch Tips?

Hey everybody, im Participating in the Winged Warrior III event which entails not only an autocross, but a Drag as well...which poses a problem....I dont exactly know the best way to do this. It seems simple enough, floor it when the light turns green. But are there any launch tips for a FWD car that i would benefit from? thanks:thumbsup:

HighSchoolzMINI 05-29-2007 08:01 AM

hold a rev at around 4500rpm where the peak torque is and when you drop the clutch put the pedal trhough the floor until you hit redline

Paul Webster 05-31-2007 07:53 AM

What tires are you allowed to use??

Motor On 05-31-2007 08:05 AM

ASC DSC off.

HighSchoolzMINI 05-31-2007 02:05 PM

Originally Posted by Paul Webster (Post 1550728)
What tires are you allowed to use??

it depends on what class you run, if you find out at your local track you could probably run the street class with stock rims and tires or mostly anything else except slicks

justintime 06-03-2007 08:29 PM

Originally Posted by HighSchoolzMINI (Post 1547052)
hold a rev at around 4500rpm where the peak torque is and when you drop the clutch put the pedal trhough the floor until you hit redline

dumping the clutch at 4500 rpms will give you alot of wheel spin :lol:

justintime 06-03-2007 08:33 PM

id say rev around 3400 dont dump the clutch to hard cause you want to keep some traction and shift at 7100 mark.
make sure you dcs or asc is off. Id also get some good tires (not sure but I think you should run alittle less tire pressure in the front)

DrkSilver163 06-03-2007 09:28 PM

The event passed a couple weeks ago. I figured out that its the same basic launch as an autocross, i launched at about 3000, little wheelspin, but mainting traction. I pulled a 15.4 on street tires.

justintime 06-03-2007 09:34 PM

Originally Posted by DrkSilver163 (Post 1556483)
The event passed a couple weeks ago. I figured out that its the same basic launch as an autocross, i launched at about 3000, little wheelspin, but mainting traction. I pulled a 15.4 on street tires.

not bad, is that stock?

DrkSilver163 06-03-2007 09:37 PM

Originally Posted by justintime (Post 1556491)
not bad, is that stock?

I have the Alta Intake, but thats it.

billie_morini 06-03-2007 10:54 PM

As stated, you hold the RPM constant while waiting for the flag or light. You hold the clutch just shy of engagment. You may have to practice holding the engine at a constant RPM. Sometimes the flag or light don't go right away and the time always varies. The variation is part of the racing challenge. You have to be used to hearing the held RPM without it getting on your nerves or letting it drop. Guaranteed, the moment you let it drop is when the flag or light will go and you'll be left stone cold. You might practice holding the clutch just shy of engagement, too. I can't speak for all racers, but most of us do/have done many practice starts.

HighSchoolzMINI 06-04-2007 02:36 PM

Originally Posted by justintime (Post 1556430)
dumping the clutch at 4500 rpms will give you alot of wheel spin :lol:

Oh yea! :lol: makes my friends angry when they get a perfect launch and i still beat em out with the wheel spin

polizei 09-23-2007 07:49 AM

Originally Posted by billie_morini (Post 1556556)
As stated, you hold the RPM constant while waiting for the flag or light. You hold the clutch just shy of engagment. You may have to practice holding the engine at a constant RPM. Sometimes the flag or light don't go right away and the time always varies. The variation is part of the racing challenge. You have to be used to hearing the held RPM without it getting on your nerves or letting it drop. Guaranteed, the moment you let it drop is when the flag or light will go and you'll be left stone cold. You might practice holding the clutch just shy of engagement, too. I can't speak for all racers, but most of us do/have done many practice starts.

So you can hold the clutch shy of the engagement point and it won't hurt the clutch at all?

-Cody

isellem 09-23-2007 03:52 PM

no... but its a good way to burn up the clutch for the beginner...

seriously i would just concentrate on moving to the engagement point as fast as possible as apposed to slipping the clutch lightly with revs...

but thats just my opinon on the matter

do what works for you

nallen00 10-07-2007 07:36 PM

Winged Warrior IV...

...maybe you'd be interested in this. Didn't see you at WWIII - you competed? Of course, I was ogling the Noble and Loti most of the day =P If you'd like to help us represent in 2008, PM or email me. They'll be accepting entries in January.

Looking forward...

DrkSilver163 10-07-2007 09:03 PM

Yup i competed. Took third in autocross and ended up with third overall. Check out the pictures taken by the professional photographer in class E.:thumbsup:

I would love to go back next year, it was a great time.

johnpickard79 03-13-2010 02:27 PM

1. stage deep in the mini
2. hold rpm around 35-3600
3. using one hand on the e brake, hold the clutch just below engagement point
4. as soon as you see the third light on the tree go on, drop the e brake and slip the clutch out.
5. DONT wait until you see green, that is too late
6. make sure to use all available rpm, and lower front tire pressures will help. also if you are running coilovers it is helpful to set them all the way to their stiffest setting on a front wheel drive car, it helps keep the weight on the front wheels.