North American Motoring

North American Motoring (https://www.northamericanmotoring.com/forums/)
-   Detailing 101 (https://www.northamericanmotoring.com/forums/detailing-101-12/)
-   -   Drying after Washing (https://www.northamericanmotoring.com/forums/detailing-101/95049-drying-after-washing.html)

chows4us 03-15-2007 01:13 PM

Drying after Washing

It got sunny here so I washed my car this last weekend. There was still plenty off wax on the car. I used one of Heathers BIG FLUFFY towels to dry but when to dry the car only to find VERY LITTLE water on the car? Huh?:confused:

Well someone mentioned to me that the best thing to do is for the last rinse ... you very little pressure and if the car is waxed, the water will just slide off.

Turns out, my stupid nozzle was busted and I had used a nozzle meant for watering flower, like a shower head.

That is EXACTLY what happened, the water just slid off with no beading.

Is this for real or a myth?

mcdbrendan 03-15-2007 01:27 PM

Real. Its called sheeting, and saves countless minutes in my drying process (only works on a well waxed car though...)

Fool68 03-15-2007 01:31 PM

I noticed a difference last week when I washed mine. I had tried Mystique for the first time (I had been usinig Mr. Clean, but found that it would leave a residue that I'd notice the next morning). I thought I had read somewhere about just letting the water dump right out of the hose without a sprayer. The water sheeted off and dried cleanly and quickly. I wasn't sure if it was the technique or the Mystique (no rhyme intended).

mcdbrendan 03-15-2007 01:59 PM

It was probably a mix of the two. Mystique is an amazing shampoo. It actually shines your car more than a normal shampoo would, which could have lead to better sheeting. I used it on my Jeep and that car has never sheeted water, but it was definatly beading up more than usual without any wax on the car. I love Mystique.
Heres a pic of a 325i just after a wash. Mystique only, no wax, no QD, nothing.
http://i59.photobucket.com/albums/g3...n/DSCF6003.jpg

ImagoX 03-15-2007 02:13 PM

Holy Moses... Shiney.

ofioliti 03-15-2007 02:20 PM

Originally Posted by mcdbrendan (Post 1423671)
It was probably a mix of the two. Mystique is an amazing shampoo. It actually shines your car more than a normal shampoo would, which could have lead to better sheeting. I used it on my Jeep and that car has never sheeted water, but it was definatly beading up more than usual without any wax on the car. I love Mystique.
Heres a pic of a 325i just after a wash. Mystique only, no wax, no QD, nothing.
http://i59.photobucket.com/albums/g3...n/DSCF6003.jpg

Wow! Nice! :eek:

Does Mystique work well with any wax or sealant?

mcdbrendan 03-15-2007 02:21 PM

I think so. Its very very easy on the paint and any waxes on the car, so it should work well. It really is an awesome product. I was convinced of it the first time I tryed it (rarely happens) and I am ordering a gallon of Mystique and Hydro this week.

Hydro is a whole other deal. :nod:

kenchan 03-15-2007 04:03 PM

chows, capillary action. gentle flow of non-sprayed water will sheet off
together.

i use my nozzle to rinse the car though.... cause for me it doesn't make
much difference as i use the paintblade anyway. :)

mcdbrendan 03-15-2007 04:06 PM

Originally Posted by kenchan (Post 1423886)
chows, capillary action. gentle flow of non-sprayed water will sheet off
together.

i use my nozzle to rinse the car though.... cause for me it doesn't make
much difference as i use the paintblade anyway. :)

Is capillary action the same thing as surface tension (the force that creates beads of water)?:confused:

tsukiji 03-15-2007 04:21 PM

Capillary action doesn't come into play with beading & sheeting, but it is how BIG FLUFFY towels defy gravity and soak up great gobs of water.

kenchan 03-15-2007 04:23 PM

Originally Posted by mcdbrendan (Post 1423893)
Is capillary action the same thing as surface tension (the force that creates beads of water)?:confused:

yah, similar... the beads try to come together to form a larger bead and
it just rolls off. :)

kenchan 03-15-2007 04:23 PM

Originally Posted by tsukiji (Post 1423919)
Capillary action doesn't come into play with beading & sheeting, but it is how BIG FLUFFY towels defy gravity and soak up great gobs of water.

or someone just shaking the car. :grin:

chows4us 03-15-2007 04:47 PM

Originally Posted by mcdbrendan (Post 1423893)

I dont think its capillary action. I was told its surface tension.

kenchan 03-15-2007 06:02 PM

Originally Posted by chows4us (Post 1423984)
I dont think its capillary action. I was told its surface tension.

you're probaby right. :razz: watever it is, it's a nice trick to know
when you're washing your car on a hot day to minimize spots.

amorican 03-15-2007 06:34 PM

I have been doing this for years and it works wonders on the Cooper. Just remove your nozzle and do a quick once around from the top down with an open hose, full on. It literally makes drying a breeze and I could easily do another car with the same towel when done.

TJM

Morris9982 03-15-2007 07:31 PM

I have what is called a full flow nozzle I bought from a NAPA store years and years ago that works like an open ended hose, meaning when you open the nozzle, it's just a full flow of water.

I got it originally because I didn't like the spray type nozzles because they flowed so little water that it took longer to rinse off the soap. With the full flow nozzle, I just put it at the highest point of the section I'm rinsing and let it flow.

I've noticed that if you hold it the right way it will do some the sheeting action mentioned here.

89AKurt 03-15-2007 09:23 PM

Minerals in the water slow down the beading coquagulation, and creates friction when flowing downhill. That's why I'm enjoying treated water, no water spots on long-ago waxed paint.

That was a lod of crap.