North American Motoring

North American Motoring (https://www.northamericanmotoring.com/forums/)
-   Detailing 101 (https://www.northamericanmotoring.com/forums/detailing-101-12/)
-   -   Motor Mount Paint Damage (https://www.northamericanmotoring.com/forums/detailing-101/78904-motor-mount-paint-damage.html)

pauliekeys 09-11-2006 05:26 PM

Motor Mount Paint Damage

Has any one experience damage to there paint from there motor mount leaking ? I noticed splatter down the passenger side and all over the back of the car after a wash. The brown spots would not come off with wax or clay bar. I took my car into the dealer ship for the repair of the motor mount and for them to clean the spots. I just got an email from my service rep and he told me that the body shop could not get the stains out without repainting the damaged areas. He then went on to say that the body shop had a factory rep look at the damage and told them that there was not enough hydraulic fluid to spray all the way to the back of the car and that Mini would not repair the damage:mad: . Hey then went on to say that his manager thought I should have MY insurance pay for the damage and that the dealership would pay for the deductible:lol: . This has been my first Experience with my dealer and so far it’s not going very well. I would love to hear from any of you that might have had any paint damage from this happen to them. Thanks,

MLPearson79 09-11-2006 05:59 PM

Oh no way, dude.

Their work (or lack thereof) caused the damage, whether it was them or the factory. The spray didn't just magically appear there.

I'd be firm, and continue to escalate through the ranks til you get the repair that is deserved.

pauliekeys 09-11-2006 06:37 PM

There will be no option other then the dealership repainting the damage. The next problem I'm sure will be how well they match the factory paint. It's intresting that the dealer asked me to submit this to my insurance and that they would pay for the deductable. It's a laugh that they would even suggest that I would do do that. I plain to ask for a meeting with the Factory rep and management tomorrow and can't wait to have him try to tell me this damage was caused by anything but the motor mount fluid. My car is garaged and is show room clean since the day I brought him home. I have never been so annal with keeping a car so clean before (well......) truth be known, I'm that way with all my cars. We'll see how well my dealership treats this matter. I will report after the meeting. If you have the same problem,please let me know.

MLPearson79 09-11-2006 06:49 PM

I know that motor mount problems in general are not atypical, but I can't say I've heard people talk about the hydraulic getting all over the paint and damaging it.

But the bottom line is, it shouldn't have been leaking, and because it was, it damaged your paint. In no way are you responsible for that.

Keep us posted - I'd imagine as long as you remain firm you'll get your way on this one.

pauliekeys 09-13-2006 02:55 PM

I got a call this morning from upper management. They said that they're hands are tide at this point. The factory rep told them that it did not come from the motor mount. I went up to the dealer this morning and asked to have my car put on a lift. The SA mechanic and myself all looked at the underside of my car and all of us saw where the hydraulic fluid streamed down covering the fender lining as well as all of the suspension parts and on out to the back. I meet with another Factory rep on the 26th. The SA and his boss both said "off the record" that it obviously came from the motor mount. We'll see what happens. In the mean time my car will sit in my garage undriven until I drive back to the dealer.

Originally Posted by MLWagner79
I know that motor mount problems in general are not atypical, but I can't say I've heard people talk about the hydraulic getting all over the paint and damaging it.

But the bottom line is, it shouldn't have been leaking, and because it was, it damaged your paint. In no way are you responsible for that.

Keep us posted - I'd imagine as long as you remain firm you'll get your way on this one.

jwardell 09-14-2006 06:22 AM

Well if the service advisor says its true, then management should be listening to them and taking care of your isssue. If not, take your business to a different dealer and report them to MINIUSA.

ImagoX 09-14-2006 07:03 AM

I'm sorry this is happening to you, Paulie... Most of the time the dealerships are great to work with, but every once in a while this sort of thing happens. I'm sure it will work out eventually - the part that really stinks is that you have to keep your car garaged while you wait, when I'm sure you'd rather be out driving. :sad: Sounds like you're doing all the right things, though (asking questions, making them lift the car and show you things, etc.). That thing with the insurance is just ludicrous and I'm shocked that they even suggested it.

A different dealership or even going straight to MINI USA might be a good idea... It never hurts to get a second opinion, and no dealer likes the idea of having a customer going to their competition to have something checked out that they might have missed...

pauliekeys 09-14-2006 08:52 AM

The dealership didn't miss the fluid stream, it seems that the Factory rep is the one saying that it didn't come from the motor mount because he say's there is not enough fluid to make it to the back of the car. He obviously didn't look at the car on the rack. The hydraulic fluid just covers everything underneath the car. Both the SA and according to his manager said "off the record" that they know that it's from the motor mount. After hearing that it makes me even more disappointed that the dealership won't stand up to the Factory rep. I have a good feeling that this will all work out. It makes me sick about all of this and truth be known, I don't want to paint my car but the spot's down the side and all over the boot would not be there had it not been for a faulty part IMOP and that's not the pepper white paint I orderd.

Originally Posted by ImagoX
I'm sorry this is happening to you, Paulie... Most of the time the dealerships are great to work with, but every once in a while this sort of thing happens. I'm sure it will work out eventually - the part that really stinks is that you have to keep your car garaged while you wait, when I'm sure you'd rather be out driving. :sad: Sounds like you're doing all the right things, though (asking questions, making them lift the car and show you things, etc.). That thing with the insurance is just ludicrous and I'm shocked that they even suggested it.

A different dealership or even going straight to MINI USA might be a good idea... It never hurts to get a second opinion, and no dealer likes the idea of having a customer going to their competition to have something checked out that they might have missed...