Detailing 101 Need to find out how to pamper your new MINI? Find out all the detailing secrets here.

%#^$ing bird...nasty bird dropping mark - ate the clearcoat?

Search this Thread

Old 08-10-2004, 12:01 PM
WannaMini_
6th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
%#^$ing bird...nasty bird dropping mark - ate the clearcoat?

This nasty bird who obviously fed on berries crapped on my bonnet (on the driver's side "hump"). It baked in the sun for a few hours, and I finally was able to get it off when I got home. The crap was red, black, and white, and was a *splat* dollup if you know what I mean. It had hardened by the time I got it home.

I rinsed it off gently. It all didn't come off. I shampooed the car (Meguire's Gold), and it came off. BUT - the splotch area where the crap was is very dull.

I tried to wax the spot. It would not shine. I tried Scratch-X - nothing. Did the bird ^&$* eat through my clearcoat, and how do I fix it?

Thanks!

Old 08-10-2004, 12:53 PM
BuckeyeMCS
5th Gear
I had that happen on my black roof. I clayed the area and it helped but it is not completely gone.

Old 08-10-2004, 01:20 PM
gokartride
6th Gear
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Okay, I've mentioned this before and I know you all thought I was crazy, but its happened about six or seven times to me now on my IB paint................

1) bird poops while I'm at the park and ride, so it bakes on thouroughly.
2) I finally see the abomination and clean it as gently and completely as possible.
3) I try and try, but the clearcoat appears etched so I go into a deep depression.
4) going on with my life somehow, I wash my MINI several times as usual over the next few weeks.

....and invariably the spot self-heals...or something. It's gone...not a trace. How is that possible!!?!!?!?!? And these are (one-armed) TEXAS birds!!!!!

Anyway, the moral if this story is to remain hopeful and try a few washes. Remember, I was totally unable to remove these marks at the time.

Hey, maybe I have magic paint.

Old 08-10-2004, 01:38 PM
911Fan
6th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I have a theory that birds prefer darker colors...

Anyway, be thankful that it was a berry-eater and not a pelican!

Old 08-10-2004, 01:51 PM
holdenontoit
6th Gear
CROWS ARE THE WORST!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!(and they are just as happy to do my white roof as my dk silver body)followed by a close second:HIGH SPEED BUGS

Old 08-10-2004, 01:53 PM
asodestrom
6th Gear
Won't help the paint blemish, but it might help you feel better.

www.hessel.org/asodestrom/pigeon.mpeg

Old 08-11-2004, 05:51 AM
WannaMini_
6th Gear
Think that will be an option on the 2006??

Originally Posted by asodestrom
Won't help the paint blemish, but it might help you feel better.

www.hessel.org/asodestrom/pigeon.mpeg

Old 08-11-2004, 11:55 AM
jennscooper
1st Gear
I have the same problem. But with my former car, a black Toyota MR 2 Spyder, the paint began to fish eye and crack. So I took it to the dealer and they said it was not their problem because a "foreign matter" had gotten on the paint. I was furious. They had to fix it when I pointed out I had paid an extra fee for the Toyo Guard paint protection. They had to re-paint the car twice in two years. Moral of the story: it's not the Mini, it's the paint, and either birds now a days have acid in their little bodies or paint is not what it used to be!

Old 08-12-2004, 09:41 AM
z3bum
5th Gear
Birds and p**p :)

Two words for this problem.... noah car cover, shotgun... ok that's actually four words!

Seriously, eat as many small birds as you can, especially crows

Really seriously... noah car covers are awesome. I had a black Z3 Roadster for years, and kept it covered at car parks. People thought it was strange until they saw how shiny and beauiful my car was. Now I have a Z3 coupe and the MINI, and when either are out and not being driven for more than half a day, they are covered. Birds be dammed!

Old 08-13-2004, 01:19 AM
911Fan
6th Gear
Originally Posted by jennscooper
I have the same problem. But with my former car, a black Toyota MR 2 Spyder, the paint began to fish eye and crack. So I took it to the dealer and they said it was not their problem because a "foreign matter" had gotten on the paint. I was furious. They had to fix it when I pointed out I had paid an extra fee for the Toyo Guard paint protection. They had to re-paint the car twice in two years. Moral of the story: it's not the Mini, it's the paint, and either birds now a days have acid in their little bodies or paint is not what it used to be!
Did the Toyo Guard protection have an unconditional guarantee or was the dealer just being nice to you so you wouldn't make waves?

Old 08-13-2004, 01:46 AM
CharlesWil
5th Gear
Sorry about the birds & your cars but, I don't think you have a problem yet. How about a pair of Red Birds that comes to your cars rear-view mirrors and fight themselves. Thinking some other Red Bird has invaded their territory, they fight themselves for hours all the while crapping down the side of the car. Been putting up with this crap for over two months. Can't even park my MINI where I want to! Borrowed a BB gun from a friend to no avail, they have learned when I'm around to get the he*l out of the area, of course to come back when I leave. Bad thing about it is, Red Birds don't migrate. Dam, Cardinals.
Charles

Old 08-13-2004, 07:01 AM
scooterboy
6th Gear
Originally Posted by CharlesWil
Sorry about the birds & your cars but, I don't think you have a problem yet. How about a pair of Red Birds that comes to your cars rear-view mirrors and fight themselves.
Have you tried slipping a ziplock bag over each mirror at night? Maybe that would do the trick.

Old 08-14-2004, 01:57 PM
sbgobig
4th Gear
Go to the North American Car Care site and click on 'Washing and Drying' then find the '1Z Insect and Tar pre-cleaner'. 1Z makes great products and what's really fun is that all the instructions are in German.

Simply apply to affected area let it sit for a minute or two then rinse and wash carfully. Do not scrub, be gentle.

This happened to my MINI the other day and I'm waiting for the sun to go down a little before I wash and wax, can't hardly wait.

PS: don't park under trees or power lines if at all possible.

Unfortunately the stain is still visible after washing with the Insect remover and claying. I can still see the blemish. Hopefully it will magically go away. I may have to get a cover and use it while I'm at work cuz the birds are everywhere.

Old 02-26-2007, 10:01 AM
WannaMini_
6th Gear
Reposting for the likes of OctaneGuy and Kenchan and others. Do you have any input? The car has been clayed a few times and waxed a few times since it happened. But never polished. I did however try Scratch-X once. Didn't even help it...

Old 02-26-2007, 10:33 AM
Morris9982
4th Gear
This has happened to me on various cars. The only way I was able to minimize the appearance of the mark was to use mild cleaners/polishes and then re-wax.

I had a black Acura that had a spot on the hood and this process totally eliminated the mark.

Old 02-26-2007, 12:09 PM
mini44
4th Gear
That bird poo can etch the surface immediately especially when the paint is hot . I had success removing the etching from my black roof but it takes a lot of rubbin' . Use a foam applicator with your scratchx and work it until it feels like your fingers are going to cramp up. The do it another 3 or 4 times. Follow with wax. If you can borrow a PC, its easier. Use your favourite swirl remover and work the area.
I keep a small bottle of QD in the car to get the droppings off as soon as I can but whatever is in their poo is potent.

Old 02-26-2007, 01:03 PM
mcdbrendan
5th Gear
Wanna, I have a PC if you need to use it, or I can detail your car

Old 02-26-2007, 01:07 PM
kenchan
6th Gear
Originally Posted by WannaMini_
Reposting for the likes of OctaneGuy and Kenchan and others. Do you have any input? The car has been clayed a few times and waxed a few times since it happened. But never polished. I did however try Scratch-X once. Didn't even help it...
how much elbow grease did you use on the ScratchX? cause you need to
push down on the pad/towel when you use that stuff and do 4-5 apps
to get to deeper wounds.

Old 02-26-2007, 01:15 PM
mcdbrendan
5th Gear
Originally Posted by kenchan
how much elbow grease did you use on the ScratchX? cause you need to
push down on the pad/towel when you use that stuff and do 4-5 apps
to get to deeper wounds.
Quiet Ken I'm conducting business.

Wanna let me know if you need to use the PC.

Old 02-27-2007, 10:30 AM
WannaMini_
6th Gear
I HAVE a PC, goof! You should know this! It's been too F***ING cold to use it though! Wait, you live like 10 miles from me. You should know this, too! HAHAHAHAHA

Yeah, when I used the Scratch-X, I applied just a little bit of rubbing. When I break out the new PC and polishes, hopefully that will do the trick! Although...I have come accustomed to Splotch over the years. I will truly miss him...

Old 02-27-2007, 10:35 AM
MiniMaybee
6th Gear
Fond memories of bird poop from a simpler time no doubt.
I had a filter set to limit the age of visible posts - this one was about 12 years too old to be shown.

Old 02-27-2007, 10:45 AM
kenchan
6th Gear
I HAVE a PC, goof! You should know this! It's been too F***ING cold to use it though! Wait, you live like 10 miles from me. You should know this, too! HAHAHAHAHA

Yeah, when I used the Scratch-X, I applied just a little bit of rubbing. When I break out the new PC and polishes, hopefully that will do the trick! Although...I have come accustomed to Splotch over the years. I will truly miss him...

it should do the trick, but you don't need to lug out your bazooka
to remove a little mouse. try the scratch-x again by hand
and apply elbow grease. i think it is good exercise to know how to
use that as it is one of the most frequent tools i use for spot polishing.

start out with a wilson, not a callaway. my pop joke.

Old 02-27-2007, 10:48 AM
WannaMini_
6th Gear
So funny considering I have Callaway clubs!! HAHA I'm one of those that believed that getting better clubs would take three strokes off my game. BWWAAAAHAAAAAAHAAAAAAAA....

Seriously though, my first project is to polish out the MINI. After I fill the rock chips. He's got swirls gallore. He needs some TLC. So I will watch OG's video and put the techniques to good use! I'll just get Splotch out in the process.....hopefully......

Old 02-27-2007, 01:51 PM
mcdbrendan
5th Gear

I forgot about your PC. Sorry, but I have been extremely busy spreading the news that I detail cars for an awesome price and can assure you that your car will look amazing.

Please visit my website or call me at 440 435 XXXX!

::shakes hand::

No but I did forget about your PC and I'm glad to hear you have one. On the way to school I passed 3 MINI's. Count 'em three. One Red S with white stripes and roof, a DS/B S on Akron Cleveland Road, and the Chili Red with White in our parking lot... o to dream.