Detailing 101 Need to find out how to pamper your new MINI? Find out all the detailing secrets here.

Scratch on door

Search this Thread

Old 09-24-2018, 05:42 AM
ShadyCoop
3rd Gear
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Scratch on door

Hey everyone!

(see image below) So yesterday, I parked in a parking garage, and when I came back to my car there was a relatively large vertical scratch in the drivers side door. My guess is the person parked next to me smacked their door into mine while getting into their car.

Is there anything that I can do myself to fix this scratch? I'd rather handle it myself if I can, it doesn't quite look like it's through the base coat of the paint, just the clear coat.

Any help is greatly appreciated!
Tyler

Old 09-24-2018, 08:26 AM
Capt_bj
OVERDRIVE
Received 281 Likes on 237 Posts
Very repairable at home

BUT

if you've never messed with auto paint it is WAY EASIER to make a total MESS then it is to get a great result.

IF you want to try
1. There are plenty of youtube videos for guidance
2. I'd try some polish / rubbing compound and see how much you can 'buff out' b4 anything else
3. There are those that say Dr Colorchip will work here but IME that's good for chips and not so good for a scratch
4. If determined to try and 'spray' ... I get my rattle cans (and bottled t/up paints) from https://www.automotivetouchup.com/
5. I spray t/up with an airbrush, but I've been 'practicing' for nearly 15 years .... there have been plenty of failures along the way. "Blending" auto finish (new into old) is 'art' .....

Old 09-24-2018, 03:26 PM
bee1000n
6th Gear
Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
Capt_bj has good advice there. I can't tell by the picture, but if the color is from their paint, you can try using a clay bar first. It won't fix a scratch, but it might remove their paint and make it much less noticeable.

Old 09-24-2018, 05:52 PM
Minidogger
4th Gear
Received 78 Likes on 70 Posts
I have had good luck touching up long scratches with liquid paint.

It still shows, but much less than the raw scratch. I got matching paint from an online supplier. They have these toothpick-style applicators that are very precise, so you don't have a big glob.

I let it cure for a month & then polished it down some.

Old 09-25-2018, 02:34 PM
cooper48
6th Gear
Received 549 Likes on 446 Posts
Look up "Dallas Paint Correction" on YouTube. They have a lot of useful information/solutions for your problem.

Old 09-25-2018, 02:43 PM
SuperMattyP
Neutral
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I own an automotive detailing business, so take that for what's it worth ; )

I would wash the vehicle thoroughly

Using a bare finger feel the defect for gouging or residue. Use a fingernail to see how wide/deep the gash is (if at all)

Use a clay bar to remove any residual paint from the offending vehicle

test again with bare finger/nail once it's removed.

Using a small flash light shine it at the scratch from all angles to determine if this is all the way through the clear into the color or just the clear. (looks to me to just be in the clear)

Using a high speed dual action buffer I would start with a mid-grade abrasive compound and level the clear coat out. (that should solve all of your worries)

Follow it up with a wax/sealant (go ahead and do the whole car since you've already got your gear out!)

If you find the scratch goes into the color a simple clear filler will often hide/mask the issue. I find that trying to match colors only makes it standout more.

The following users liked this post:
bee1000n (09-29-2018)
Old 09-25-2018, 07:56 PM
Minnie.the.Moocher
OVERDRIVE
Received 570 Likes on 486 Posts
Originally Posted by SuperMattyP
You could have easily slipped in a sneaky plug by mentioning your location. Always looking for a good detailer. So far only found incompetent or overpriced or both.

Old 09-25-2018, 08:05 PM
SuperMattyP
Neutral
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Minnie.the.Moocher
You could have easily slipped in a sneaky plug by mentioning your location. Always looking for a good detailer. So far only found incompetent or overpriced or both.
I'm new here. not trying to burn any bridges! Besides I'm in the Alabama Gulf Coast...a little further away than you probably want to drive!

Old 10-26-2018, 05:38 AM
dmrispoli
1st Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by SuperMattyP

I would wash the vehicle thoroughly

Using a bare finger feel the defect for gouging or residue. Use a fingernail to see how wide/deep the gash is (if at all)

Use a clay bar to remove any residual paint from the offending vehicle

test again with bare finger/nail once it's removed.

Using a small flash light shine it at the scratch from all angles to determine if this is all the way through the clear into the color or just the clear. (looks to me to just be in the clear)

Using a high speed dual action buffer I would start with a mid-grade abrasive compound and level the clear coat out. (that should solve all of your worries)

Follow it up with a wax/sealant (go ahead and do the whole car since you've already got your gear out!)

If you find the scratch goes into the color a simple clear filler will often hide/mask the issue. I find that trying to match colors only makes it standout more.
Thank you for this. Any recommendations on what type of "simple clear filler" works best on Mini (specifically r56 generation if it makes a difference)?