Detailing 101 Need to find out how to pamper your new MINI? Find out all the detailing secrets here.

Shinny areas on fabric top?

Search this Thread

Old 06-29-2018, 09:38 AM
Rich B.
4th Gear
Received 37 Likes on 29 Posts
Shinny areas on fabric top?

Hey all,

Rather than place this post in the Roadster section we thought it would get a better looking at over here due to the nature of the issue and our question.

We recently purchased a 2013 Roadster. Although low in mileage, this car has spent over 300 hours (according to the openometer log) with it's top down...(previous owners really enjoyed the sun). So, what we are observing is shinny areas on the exterior of the black fabric top which coincide with where the fold areas are when the top is down in the boot. These shinny patches don't really look worn...only shinny, which detracts from the overall soft fabric look of the top.

Our question is: how can we make the look of this top uniform again? We've already given the top a good vacuum and thorough cleaning using a fabric top cleaner and a horsehair brush...but neither really did much to mute the shinny areas. We were going to treat the top with an aftermarket, fabric top treatment/protection product next, but decided not to until we got some feedback to this post as we certainly don't want to do anything that will highlight the issue.

All you detail fanatics out there....your suggestions/secret remedies, will be very much appreciated

Thanks!

Old 06-29-2018, 09:46 AM
Fly'n Brick
6th Gear
Received 367 Likes on 311 Posts
That's the nature of the beast. My top rarely goes up (I'll list the reasons below) and does have a few of those shiney spots but they are rarely seen. THE best treatments for the canvas top is 303 or RaggTopp. Nothing less.
Now, the reasons:
1. It is raining.
2. It is snowing.
3. My co-pilot is whining about being too hot or too cold (record low top down 23°) and I can't hear the supercharger whine over her's.
4. There's a bunch of drunks throwing empty beer cans in the back seat and they didn't invite me.

Topless motoring IS motoring at its best.

Old 06-29-2018, 11:45 AM
Shiner
2nd Gear
Received 22 Likes on 19 Posts
Fly’n Brick’s products are right on. When you stray the protectant on...spray a little on the shiney area as it will darken the color slightly. Those shiney areas come with the territory. Mine disappear after a thorough wash with 303 but after retreating and and putting the top down they will be there.

Old 07-16-2018, 08:53 AM
Dave.O
4th Gear
Received 53 Likes on 34 Posts
The only way I have removed the shiney areas was to use a steel wire tooth brush made for cleaning parts in a degreaser tank or cleaning brake calipers.

I use a new brush and gently rub the surface with the shiney spot and sometimes it unmats the fabric. It will always come back if you put the roof down for a long time.

I treat all fabric roofs with Gyeon Fabric. 303 and Raggtop are ok products.

Old 08-14-2018, 07:23 PM
Po Bé
Neutral
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Phòng Khám Đa Khoa Âu Á

, This is a great article. It gave me a lot of useful information. Thank you very much. You can be phòng khám đa khoa âu á for more information of health

Old 10-16-2018, 06:30 AM
TnickR57
1st Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Streaks on convertible top

Just bought a 2015 S ragtop. There are dark steaks in random areas. Looks like somebody has used a power washer and damaged the fabric. The streaks are darker. Thoughts?

Old 10-16-2018, 08:29 AM
Rich B.
4th Gear
Received 37 Likes on 29 Posts
Hum....that's interesting. Got me thinking....... Some years back we kept a boat docked at a lake in upstate New York. Although the fabric used to make that boat cover may not have been the exact same fabric as used to make our car tops, that cover also developed dark streaks. The only answer we could come up with was that certain areas of the cover were more prone to absorbing moisture....so that after a thunder shower, when the hot sun would come back out, these areas would take longer to dry, making them darker over time. All the boats around us with lighter colored covers didn't show this. It was only on the ones with darker covers.

Do you know if your car ever spent much time outside in the hot sun in an area prone to thundershowers? Also, a product like 303 convertible top treatment might help as it doesn't allow water to penetrate the fabric easily. I believe 303 also blocks destructive UV rays.

Old 10-16-2018, 09:07 AM
Goldsmithy
MINI Alliance Ambassador
Received 57 Likes on 45 Posts
I have tried all of the products for top care that I could find. Ragg top and 303 are fine products, but Geyon Fabric seems to do a better job of repelling water and it also lasts longer. I have never been able to find a solution to the 'shiny spots' as the fabric itself is being altered. I have tried a convertible top dye and it did nothing. If anyone finds a solution, PLEASE let me know.

Old 10-16-2018, 09:25 AM
ShipM8
4th Gear
Received 19 Likes on 17 Posts
While my Mini isn't a convertible, my wife's 2006 Boxster is and it has some wear marks on it. She never has the top up unless it's raining and she stores it in the winter, so we don't worry about snow and salt. I'm really fussy about my cars, but the convertible top doesn't bother me since the tops always down and if it is up it's just emphasizes that it is a soft-top. Think of it as a patina that just makes it better with age!

The following users liked this post:
Goldsmithy (10-16-2018)
Old 10-16-2018, 09:43 AM
TnickR57
1st Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Streaks on convertible top

Originally Posted by Rich B.
Hum....that's interesting. Got me thinking....... Some years back we kept a boat docked at a lake in upstate New York. Although the fabric used to make that boat cover may not have been the exact same fabric as used to make our car tops, that cover also developed dark streaks. The only answer we could come up with was that certain areas of the cover were more prone to absorbing moisture....so that after a thunder shower, when the hot sun would come back out, these areas would take longer to dry, making them darker over time. All the boats around us with lighter colored covers didn't show this. It was only on the ones with darker covers.

Do you know if your car ever spent much time outside in the hot sun in an area prone to thundershowers? Also, a product like 303 convertible top treatment might help as it doesn't allow water to penetrate the fabric easily. I believe 303 also blocks destructive UV rays.
i don't really know if it spent much time in the sun. I would guess yes, as the windshield cowling rubber was badly cracked, as well as the molding around the top on the back. The dealer replaced that for me. These streaks really appear as if some used a power washer with too much pressure and too aggressive a tip, and didn't know what they were doing!