Detailing 101 Need to find out how to pamper your new MINI? Find out all the detailing secrets here.

Anyone else using a waterless wash?

Old 10-08-2018, 04:06 PM
bee1000n
6th Gear
Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
Anyone else using a waterless wash?

I got my car polished and CQuartz coated back in 2015, and the detailer sold me on trying a waterless wash. Yes, it had his company's name on it, but it was what they actually used in the shop so he put his money where his mouth is. (I'm leaving out the name so this doesn't look like I'm shilling for a particular product!)

I have to say that I prefer it to hose-and-bucket washing at this point.

I can hose-wash my car where I rent, but it's a little involved and I'm at the mercy of the sun & shadows as far as when I can do it. Waterless washing would be limited by the sun, too, except I can do it other places quite easily. I just pack up a couple bottles of wash and microfiber towels and any shady spot can be my car wash! I prefer an empty parking garage because open areas can be windy and have dust blowing around.

Besides that convenience, I really like the process and the results. Car washing has always been a form of meditation, but waterless washing goes even farther because it requires a little more concentration, and care. And it involves no hose wrestling or bucket lugging! The end result is comparable to bucket washing because a clean car is a clean car, but I don't worry about water dripping out of body seams.

It definitely requires some investment - I have about 30 microfiber towels I use and good fluffy ones aren't cheap - and I still turn to the hose if I let my car go too long between washes, but overall I really enjoy it.

Anyone else going the waterless route? Any tips to share?

Old 10-08-2018, 04:35 PM
Goldsmithy
MINI Alliance Ambassador
Received 57 Likes on 45 Posts
Following;;;

Old 10-09-2018, 06:09 AM
Mini_Vinnie
Received 265 Likes on 209 Posts
I use Girots Garage waterless in the winter. If my car is really salty then I dont use it and force myself to a car wash.

It works great 90% of the time. You are right though, you need a bunch of towels!

Old 10-09-2018, 08:19 AM
DneprDave
6th Gear
Received 85 Likes on 77 Posts
I won a Griot's car care kit at a local MINI club function. In the kit was a bottle of Griot's spray-on car wash and some plush microfiber towels. I was skeptical at first, but after trying it I was sold. I wash my car with spray-on car wash 90% of the time, like Mini_Vinnie. When it is really filthy, I use a hose,bucket and mitt.

Old 10-10-2018, 09:26 AM
bee1000n
6th Gear
Originally Posted by Mini_Vinnie
I use Girots Garage waterless in the winter. If my car is really salty then I dont use it and force myself to a car wash.

It works great 90% of the time. You are right though, you need a bunch of towels!
Towels are important! I just got some new ones that are extremely fluffy and I like them a lot more than towels I've used before. It could be because they were replacing worn out towels, but these ones also have longer fibers so they pick up dirt better and they don't get as saturated with waterless wash. They don't have a brand name on them, but they might be Microfiber Madness. In any case, I would recommend investing in the best microfiber buffing towels you can for waterless washing. It's definitely not the time for those cheap, thin fluorescent towels from the parts store.

Old 10-10-2018, 10:03 AM
Minnie.the.Moocher
OVERDRIVE
Received 570 Likes on 486 Posts
How about describing your process a bit. I've seen all sorts of youtube videos and it is laughable how different the methods are.

Old 10-10-2018, 10:13 AM
DneprDave
6th Gear
I spray the car wash on the car and wipe it down with a small, plush microfiber towel, working from the top down. after wiping the whole car down, I polish it with a large plush microfiber towel and I'm done.

The following users liked this post:
Minnie.the.Moocher (10-10-2018)
Old 10-10-2018, 12:21 PM
bee1000n
6th Gear
Originally Posted by Minnie.the.Moocher
How about describing your process a bit. I've seen all sorts of youtube videos and it is laughable how different the methods are.
I start with the wheels and the plastic trim, then do the roof.

My process, basically what the detailer taught me: Cover about a quarter of the roof (the front half of the driver's side of the roof, for example) with a mist of waterless wash - trying not to use too much or too little based on how dirty it is. Then I use a 16x16 buffing towel folded into quarters to pull off the dirt. The most important thing is to use no pressure at all, just pull the towel across the surface and let it lift off the dirt. I work in straight lines, pulling it from the front of the roof back, then picking it up and doing another line. Each row builds up a stripe of dirt on the towel, so I try to use a clean section of the towel for each line.

After doing the first pass on the entire roof, I check for stuck-on bug or bird poo and remove it manually (disposable gloves are good to have in the detailing kit), then I do a second pass with a lighter misting of product. That's usually sufficient, but sometimes a third pass is required.

After that, I switch to a clean cloth for a final wipe. Spray a tiny amount of product and wipe & buff about a 2' x 2' area at a time.

Repeat on the bonnet, each side of the car, and then finish with the always filthy boot. Oh, and finally the windows - waterless wash can be a great window cleaner.

The following 2 users liked this post by bee1000n:
Hd4 (04-16-2019), Minnie.the.Moocher (10-10-2018)
Old 10-10-2018, 01:38 PM
co0p3r
4th Gear
Received 65 Likes on 51 Posts
Nope - Just you.

Old 10-10-2018, 04:28 PM
DneprDave
6th Gear
I do the wheels and lower valance last because by the time I get to them, the microfiber cloth is pretty dirty. I wouldn't want to rub the dirt from the wheels and lower trim all over the rest of the car, even with the spray on car wash lubricating the towel.

Old 10-10-2018, 04:57 PM
Minnie.the.Moocher
OVERDRIVE
Originally Posted by DneprDave
I do the wheels and lower valance last because by the time I get to them, the microfiber cloth is pretty dirty. I wouldn't want to rub the dirt from the wheels and lower trim all over the rest of the car, even with the spray on car wash lubricating the towel.
Are you washing your entire car with one Microfiber? I'm assuming the OP is using multiple ones.

Old 10-11-2018, 03:18 AM
F56-JCDub
5th Gear
Received 135 Likes on 98 Posts
I use Ultima Acrylic Waterless Wash Concentrate with about 12 to 16 super plushy microfiber towels (16" x 16"). The stuff works great.

Old 10-11-2018, 09:14 AM
bee1000n
6th Gear
Are you washing your entire car with one Microfiber? I'm assuming the OP is using multiple ones.
Yep, I have black towels that are just for wheels and the trim. I used to wipe down the trim at the end with one of the damp washing towels, but I realized it made more sense to clean the trim first - otherwise I could drag a clean towel over the dirty trim while cleaning the paint.

Old 10-11-2018, 09:21 AM
DneprDave
6th Gear
It depends on how dirty the car is, If it is not too dirty, then I use one microfiber towel for the whole car.

Old 10-12-2018, 09:03 AM
Minnie.the.Moocher
OVERDRIVE
I found a bottle of Meguiar's Ultimate Waterless Wash & Wax in the garage that apparently was forgotten and unused. I no longer have the patience for a fine detailed car wash and this process was pretty darn fast. When I was done I realized all the time I saved not having to deal with getting the water off my car without water spots, cleaning up the buckets and sponges and putting all that crap away. Car looks a lot better.

This waterless method on a black car hands down beats using a bucket/hose.

Old 10-12-2018, 10:55 AM
iwashmycar
6th Gear
Received 102 Likes on 92 Posts
I use Wolfgang Uber RInseless wash.

1. in a clean 3-5 gallon bucket add the ounce of wash concentrate (the bottle has one of those squeeze/measure things so its easy). Then I pour in 3 gallons of distilled water to make the wash.
2. throw into the wash bucket 3-4 clean microfibers.
3. with the microfibers just floating around in there getting their soak on, I fill up my pump sprayer with 1.5-2 gallons of the stuff making sure the microfibers dont float into the sprayer lol
4. soak down a section of the vehicle using the pump sprayer....(start at the top and work down)
5. take a microfiber from the bucket, wring it out (into the bucket since all is still clean)
6. fold the microfiber up, I think into 1/8ths...its 4x8ish inches
7. Make ONE long pass over the panel (like from windshield down to the headlight)
8. Then rotate the microfiber and do another pass, always using a clean are of the microfiber fold to new clean area as needed..
9. I periodically wring it out in a separate bucket (or outside if it isnt the dead of winter)...NEVER put it back in the clean bucket to contaminate the other clean towels waiting in line.
10. in the end if you have some streaks from doing the initial pass, then its easy to go back with quick detailer and gently clean the panel....or do another pass with a clean section of towel.
By using distilled water you can pretty much less the panel stay wet and streaky, and it generally dries well thanks to the rinseless solution...when you are using damp microfibers this is expected...damp towels dont scratch as easily as dry ones.

I can usually do BOTH of my cars with the 3 gallons of distilled.

Have this random pic of me working through my FJ. Can sort of see the little pump sprayer there on the ground. I had just done the rear quarter and you can see the back soaked down ready to be wiped.

The following 2 users liked this post by iwashmycar:
bratling (10-12-2018), Goldsmithy (03-20-2019)
Old 10-12-2018, 04:38 PM
bee1000n
6th Gear
Originally Posted by iwashmycar
I use Wolfgang Uber RInseless wash.
[snip]
I guess this is the difference between a rinseless wash and a waterless wash. Rinseless obviously has a lot more going on, but I could see it being safer than waterless because there's a lot more water involved. It's a hybrid of bucket and waterless.

Based on your username, I take it you're an enthusiast! Have you tried other methods and found this to be the best for you?

Old 10-15-2018, 08:50 AM
iwashmycar
6th Gear
Received 102 Likes on 92 Posts
Originally Posted by bee1000n
I guess this is the difference between a rinseless wash and a waterless wash. Rinseless obviously has a lot more going on, but I could see it being safer than waterless because there's a lot more water involved. It's a hybrid of bucket and waterless.

Based on your username, I take it you're an enthusiast! Have you tried other methods and found this to be the best for you?
I didnt think about the difference between rinseless and waterless lol. To me waterless is pretty much just quick detailer so I wouldnt really depend on it for "washing"..

I used to be a lot more into detailing than I am now. As far as "bucket-less" washing goes the Uber is really the first and only I have tried. Just liked it so much I've kept with it...even though that only accounts for 2 bottles. It lasts a while.

Old 10-15-2018, 04:46 PM
bee1000n
6th Gear
Originally Posted by iwashmycar
I didnt think about the difference between rinseless and waterless lol. To me waterless is pretty much just quick detailer so I wouldnt really depend on it for "washing"..

I used to be a lot more into detailing than I am now. As far as "bucket-less" washing goes the Uber is really the first and only I have tried. Just liked it so much I've kept with it...even though that only accounts for 2 bottles. It lasts a while.
Waterless generally works fine for me as a wash, but I am in San Diego where my idea of a dirty car is going to be different than people in other parts of the world!

Old 03-20-2019, 05:48 AM
Beemerchef
3rd Gear
Received 26 Likes on 20 Posts
The mineral content of water Nationwide is in the neighborhood of around 4mg. The scale goes up to 14. Alamogordo is... 40!!! This means I cannot wash my cars in the driveway, I am never fast enough to dry them and the water spots left behind takes forever to remove. The same goes for the car washes as they do not keep up with the salt content of their water for mineral removal besides just one which is not too bad. So a bit dumbfounded by all the "water-less cleaners" commercials, I started using the "Dual-Polymer" one and I must say I am surprised of the results. While going through the first step I use a few micro fiber small towels as to not swirl dirt on the surface and buff with Griot's Garage very nice square micro fibers.
So far so good besides the black plastic [on the Jeep mainly] on which I use "303' which does a better job with a separate towel. I started using the Dual-Polymer recently so I have no clue how long it will last but will let you know. Lucky me I have two carports and cleaning the cars in the shade is actually a pleasure! I am sure there are other products on the market I will try.
I, BTW, also do the "clay" treatment about once a year and it always surprises me that others consider it as being "black magic"!!!