Detailing 101 Need to find out how to pamper your new MINI? Find out all the detailing secrets here.

Plastic faces?

Search this Thread

Old 04-23-2018, 07:47 PM
Eddyboi77
4th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Plastic faces?

Hey guys - noticing that whomever owned my CPO ‘15 Convertible somehow managed to scratch the hell out of the plastic fronts of the tachometer, speedometer and the mini “openometer”. Like, how does that even happen? These aren’t scratches from using a dirty cleaning towel. It’s like someone (or some dumb unsupervised child) took their finger (or god knows what else) and scratched the surface. I’ve owned two minis previously and this never happened. It’s like it took effort for this person to do this. Not a huge deal, can’t see it unless you’re looking or the light shines correctly. However it bothers me. Can these plastics be easily and affordably replaced? I don’t think they can be buffed out at all since it’s plastic. Thought?

Old 04-23-2018, 08:26 PM
squawSkiBum
Received 302 Likes on 223 Posts
Try Meguiar's Clear Plastic Cleaner, it is intended for buffing scratches out of plastic. I have had success with it on CDs and other plastic items. Requires a lot of buffing but it works.

Old 04-24-2018, 05:00 AM
Eddyboi77
4th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by squawSkiBum
Try Meguiar's Clear Plastic Cleaner, it is intended for buffing scratches out of plastic. I have had success with it on CDs and other plastic items. Requires a lot of buffing but it works.
didnt even know that existed thank you!

Old 04-24-2018, 09:56 AM
crazy4trains
3rd Gear
Received 27 Likes on 24 Posts
Or Plast-X. If you have a drill use an extension and small diameter buffing/polishing pad. What do you have to lose?

Old 04-26-2018, 07:57 AM
Capt_bj
OVERDRIVE
Received 281 Likes on 237 Posts
plastic can be polished with the right tools and compounds

important not to let heat build up tho ...

https://www.eastwood.com/buff-wheel-...4-in-hole.html

This 3/4" arbor 6" String Buff will bring side markers, turn signals, tail light lenses to shiny, like-new condition. Thousands of 1 3/4" long cotton strands reach deep into details to gently polish and shine without overheating and melting plastic. Use with Plastic Buffing compound.

Old 04-29-2018, 05:30 PM
Shiner
2nd Gear
Received 22 Likes on 19 Posts
Yes, some nit wit also had a large circular scratch in the middle of the speedometer and I buffed it out. There is a film that comes off first that I believe prevents glare. At first with just the film coming off it looked much worse than better but I persisted. Eventually buffed into every nook and cranny and the scratch did disappear. Although I have many small buffing pads this was all done by hand. Very easy to get carried away and make the situation worse if you’re not careful. I used a polishing compound that I have and then used Plexis as a finishing coat for protection.