North American Motoring

North American Motoring (https://www.northamericanmotoring.com/forums/)
-   Detailing 101 (https://www.northamericanmotoring.com/forums/detailing-101-12/)
-   -   How To Clean a Black Fender Trim...... (https://www.northamericanmotoring.com/forums/detailing-101/322548-how-to-clean-a-black-fender-trim.html)

dube53 12-28-2017 07:02 PM

How To Clean a Black Fender Trim......

I use to keep them nice and shiny with Meguiars Black Plastic detailer.

Now, I have one getting stained from rain with a white chalky deposit. How do you clean them?

cornjuice 12-29-2017 08:05 AM

Ive been using Black Magic Si on mine.. and have the same issue. **For cleaning, I use a brush and scrub them aggressively with soap.. then recoat. Not ideal.. but keeps the white at bay until the next rain.

dube53 12-30-2017 05:56 PM

Originally Posted by cornjuice (Post 4355862)
Ive been using Black Magic Si on mine.. and have the same issue. **For cleaning, I use a brush and scrub them aggressively with soap.. then recoat. Not ideal.. but keeps the white at bay until the next rain.

I used 409 and even lighter fluid with no good results. When they become stained with rain and road dirt, 2 of these trims come back with this white chalky deposit.

I would like to know if it is safe to use paint thinner on these plastic trim pieces.

I never had this problem before.

elvis cole 12-31-2017 06:46 AM

I would never use harsh chemicals on that fender flare material. I use Eastwood's Plastic, Vinyl & Rubber restorer. It requires very little product/elbow grease to bring back the black. It keeps the flares on my 10 year old MINI looking black, shiny and new. I use it twice a year or so. It's a bit on the expensive side, but you need only a small amount. It's well worth it.

dube53 01-01-2018 05:05 PM

Originally Posted by elvis cole (Post 4356274)
I would never use harsh chemicals on that fender flare material. I use Eastwood's Plastic, Vinyl & Rubber restorer. It requires very little product/elbow grease to bring back the black. It keeps the flares on my 10 year old MINI looking black, shiny and new. I use it twice a year or so. It's a bit on the expensive side, but you need only a small amount. It's well worth it.

Today, I tried the peanut butter with a tooth brush as discussed on another tread. You have to see to believe and this really works to clean out the white deposit and bring the black textured finish.

I didn't put anything else as protectant and did only the trim that was getting real white and the left part of the front splitter. I will see in a few days with rain and bad weather how things will go.

ECSTuning 01-03-2018 08:13 AM

Oil in the peanut butter must push the il back in the plastic. I just wash mine with CG mr.pink and a bush then apply CG VRP dressing. After it rains some does need to be reapplied a little.

https://www.northamericanmotoring.co...arch-fade.html

ProjectMini 01-03-2018 12:42 PM

Food for thought. I seen a guy paint em. Or maybe it was vinyl wrap? Not sure.
Food for thought
PM

miniCPA 01-03-2018 01:33 PM

Wouldn't peanut butter attract rodents?

What about simple Armor All wipes to maintain the black color?

ECSTuning 01-03-2018 01:35 PM

It attracts elephants ;)

dube53 01-03-2018 06:39 PM

Originally Posted by miniCPA (Post 4357182)
Wouldn't peanut butter attract rodents?

What about simple Armor All wipes to maintain the black color?

C'mon, you are not serious ,,,,, you apply and scrub peanut butter with a tooth paste and you wipe it. Its that easy and no mess and no stain on paint. The trim comes back as brand new

After 2 days, I can say that dust doesn't even stick on the surface and it stays black as I drive on mostly dry freeways for now, The real test will be when it will rain.

I am confident it would not even need a protectant but I will see.

OutMotoring 01-12-2018 07:26 AM

Check out PRE Wow and BLACK Wow, as well as the 3 Renew Protect products linked below:

dube53 01-14-2018 06:13 PM

Follow-up on Peanut Butter Cleaning.....

It's mostly 2 weeks from the beginning of my experimentation with the peanut butter cleaning on the front left fender trim.

The white residue is definitely gone and the trim is still black after more than a week of rain and wet driving conditions with no other discoloration.

This seems to be a cheap solution to the problem without spending big money on cleaning and dressing products.

cristo 01-15-2018 04:34 AM

I used to use peanut butter, but have graduated to peanut oil.
Works very well and doesn't make me as hungry when I use it.

dube53 01-15-2018 06:17 PM

Originally Posted by cristo (Post 4360077)
I used to use peanut butter, but have graduated to peanut oil.
Works very well and doesn't make me as hungry when I use it.

I believe peanut oil with a brush should even works easier and better.

flyiingsparrow 01-26-2018 10:12 PM

I used to use Mother's or Meguiars but I invested into Chemical Guys last year and use the factory finish trim coating. I did it back in October and I haven't had to touch it since.

dube53 01-27-2018 05:22 PM

Originally Posted by flyiingsparrow (Post 4363229)
I used to use Mother's or Meguiars but I invested into Chemical Guys last year and use the factory finish trim coating. I did it back in October and I haven't had to touch it since.

I am still on the "peanut butter" raw cleaning and the fender trim I am testing stays nice. It stills repel dust, dirt and water without any other protection.

asysavanh 01-30-2018 09:46 PM

Originally Posted by dube53 (Post 4355741)
I use to keep them nice and shiny with Meguiars Black Plastic detailer.

Now, I have one getting stained from rain with a white chalky deposit. How do you clean them?

Use all purpose cleaner to take off any coating from old products and grab yourself some Carworx Refinish Restorer. Stuff brings back the black and it’s permanent. The finish will not wash off like all the other products. I definitively recommend this product. Use a microfiber applicator pad and some chemical resistant gloves.

OGwoody 02-11-2018 11:01 PM

Just used Armor All Cleaning Wipes on some chalky stuff that seems to be coming from the hood. Worked to clean and dried even and without streaks. If I notice the chalk is back, I'll try the PB

dube53 02-12-2018 06:58 PM

Originally Posted by OGwoody (Post 4367274)
Just used Armor All Cleaning Wipes on some chalky stuff that seems to be coming from the hood. Worked to clean and dried even and without streaks. If I notice the chalk is back, I'll try the PB

Armor All is garbage. I stopped using it 25 years ago.

My experiment with peanut butter is surprising me and still expels the dirt and water better than I would have expected. I never put any protection on the surface and I see a big difference from the 3 other fender trims protected with Meguiars's. They are getting badly discolored.

Again, here in the Northwest, it is raining, messy and dirty at this time of the year and we don't wash our cars every week. I washed for the 1st time in mostly a month.

OGwoody 02-12-2018 07:48 PM

You sure that it's not just the peanut oil? I guess if it works and non-damaging, it's good enough for me.

Usmcxd 03-26-2018 04:34 PM

Originally Posted by dube53 (Post 4367541)
Armor All is garbage. I stopped using it 25 years ago.

+1
If you don't use it for a little while it will dry out the plastic, leather, vinyl ect-Better off using nothing IMO.

But...Mothers or Meguiars are my go to.

dube53 03-26-2018 07:42 PM

Originally Posted by Usmcxd (Post 4377973)
+1
If you don't use it for a little while it will dry out the plastic, leather, vinyl ect-Better off using nothing IMO.

I did my spring cleaning last week. I am not convinced anymore by the peanut butter treatment. After winter, all 4 were pretty much the same.

I scrubbed them and went back to the Meguiars treatment. They look nice now but they still need high care maintenance at every wash.

crazy4trains 03-27-2018 12:50 PM

Originally Posted by Usmcxd (Post 4377973)
+1

Early formulations of ArmorAll were known to dry out and crack interior components. My understanding is that the formula was changed years ago and that issue was eliminated.

ArmorAll is too shiny and greasy for my personal tastes and I don't use it but I don't like to see misinformation about a product posted. Do your own research.

Using nothing is bad advice.

Shiner 03-27-2018 03:52 PM

Several reviews of Renew. Introduces black carbon into worn out black trim. Be careful, with the application, pretaping is a wise precaution. Does not come off after a few washings.

Usmcxd 03-28-2018 08:39 AM

Originally Posted by crazy4trains (Post 4378206)
Early formulations of ArmorAll were known to dry out and crack interior components. My understanding is that the formula was changed years ago and that issue was eliminated.

ArmorAll is too shiny and greasy for my personal tastes and I don't use it but I don't like to see misinformation about a product posted. Do your own research.

Using nothing is bad advice.

Sarcasm can be must-read in posts as IMO armor all is crap. But if you continue to read the post and most of the others, mothers and meguiers are the better 'go to' for cleaning and protection. And my research is from seeing it happen...and yes they may have changed their formula, but once someone is put off by a product, what are the chances they will say "I'll try it again". Fool me once, shame on you. Fool me twice shame on me. I do agree it is super greasy. So take it for what it's worth, use it don't use it... it's my opinion, if you don't like it...