Detailing 101 Need to find out how to pamper your new MINI? Find out all the detailing secrets here.

Stripe installation disaster

Search this Thread

Old 08-05-2021, 11:56 AM
Scott549
2nd Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Stripe installation disaster

I was in a minor fender bender accident a few months ago with my 2019 Mini 2-door Hardtop. When the body shop did the repair, they replaced the bonnet stripes, inexplicably, with ones with red trim instead of the original white. I asked that they replace those with the correct color. They did that, but the stripes did not line up properly. On one side the stripe terminated at a greater distance from the front of the hood than the other side. At this point I was frustrated with the body shop and asked that the installation be done at the local Mini dealership, who I assumed could do it correctly. The dealership first told me there were problems with the painting of the hood. So I had to take it to another shop to have the hood repainted. Then I took it back to the Mini dealership to have the stripes installed. They did so and when I went to pick the car up yesterday the stripes were again uneven. They said they would make it right. Today they called and suggested that I take it to someone with more expertise. I told them I took it to the Mini dealership (their detailing department) because I assumed they had the most expertise. As things stand I told them I don't want the car back until they can figure out how to install the stripes correctly. It has been incredibly frustrating.

Is this a common problem? Every other Mini I look at, the stripes line up perfectly. I am in Madison, Wisconsin. If anyone has helpful information or resources, please let me know. Thanks.

Old 08-05-2021, 12:53 PM
crazy4trains
3rd Gear
Received 27 Likes on 24 Posts
Originally Posted by Scott549
I was in a minor fender bender accident a few months ago with my 2019 Mini 2-door Hardtop. When the body shop did the repair, they replaced the bonnet stripes, inexplicably, with ones with red trim instead of the original white. I asked that they replace those with the correct color. They did that, but the stripes did not line up properly. On one side the stripe terminated at a greater distance from the front of the hood than the other side. At this point I was frustrated with the body shop and asked that the installation be done at the local Mini dealership, who I assumed could do it correctly. The dealership first told me there were problems with the painting of the hood. So I had to take it to another shop to have the hood repainted. Then I took it back to the Mini dealership to have the stripes installed. They did so and when I went to pick the car up yesterday the stripes were again uneven. They said they would make it right. Today they called and suggested that I take it to someone with more expertise. I told them I took it to the Mini dealership (their detailing department) because I assumed they had the most expertise. As things stand I told them I don't want the car back until they can figure out how to install the stripes correctly. It has been incredibly frustrating.

Is this a common problem? Every other Mini I look at, the stripes line up perfectly. I am in Madison, Wisconsin. If anyone has helpful information or resources, please let me know. Thanks.
Independent detail shops have the most expertise in regard to detailing activities. Dealers typically pay minimum wage for these tasks, which is why you get minimum wage quality. Get to googling reputable independent detail shops in your area to find somebody that can do this. Maybe even a local body shop has some expertise. Just because you went to a dealer does not mean you got the best service.

Old 08-05-2021, 01:40 PM
chrunck
6th Gear
Received 216 Likes on 181 Posts
I'm surprised the dealer actually did the work themselves. Ours uses a local tint and trim shop for all their stripes and tint.

The following users liked this post:
bratling (08-14-2021)
Old 08-05-2021, 02:02 PM
Scott549
2nd Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
What a mess. I think it's the BMW dealer that has the detailing department. The insurance company paid shop #1 to do it. After they messed it up twice, shop #1 is supposed to pay shop #2 (dealership). Now if shop #2 can't get it right, either shop #1 or shop #2 should be paying shop #3, I guess. I just don't want to have to deal with it anymore.

Old 08-06-2021, 03:45 AM
njaremka
Alliance Member
Received 1,715 Likes on 1,382 Posts
After the shop screwed up the second time, I would have just asked for credits for the stripes. Make them give you the money, and find a shop that knows what they are doing. (hint: find a shop that specializes in automotive vinyl or paint protection film installs)