Detailing 101 Need to find out how to pamper your new MINI? Find out all the detailing secrets here.

How To Clean a Black Fender Trim......

Search this Thread

Old 08-07-2019, 04:38 PM
cooper48
6th Gear
Received 549 Likes on 446 Posts
Turtle Wax Back to Black works great for me. Available at Walmart and not expensive.

Old 10-07-2019, 05:46 PM
Beemerchef
3rd Gear
Received 26 Likes on 20 Posts
Originally Posted by Dave.O
I detail cars and I use lacquer thinner to strip everything off the black trim of cars including my MINI. After it dries I wipe it down with Gyeon Prep and apply a ceramic coating call Gyeon Trim. You can search Google and find it and it’s available on Amazon.

Gyeon trim will last for years not weeks or months and will repel water and even bird drippings. You do not want to apply ANYTHING silicone based as it will not last.

As a cheap alternative you can follow the same process as above but coat you trim with Penetrol. Penetrol is oil based and available at Home Depot or Lowe’s in the paint Department. It is a liquid clear paint smoothing chemical that you use straight. You dab a little on a cloth that you will toss out when done and just wipe it on your trim and let it dry.

Both of the products above will not attract dust and pollen and will be completely dry. You will not have to re apply after the rain or after 10 or 20 car washes. Penetrol is an old fix that has been used by Jeep guys for years and it works. Just think of all the black plastic trim those things have and how hard they would be to keep clean after a day of mudding.
I know this is from the "past", but just to let you know that I started using Penetrol! Will see how long it lasts on the JCW and Jeep [which has grey plastic!]. I would be happy with six months... Will let you know and Thanks always for sharing.

Ara

Old 10-08-2019, 07:14 AM
crazy4trains
3rd Gear
Received 27 Likes on 24 Posts
Originally Posted by Beemerchef
I know this is from the "past", but just to let you know that I started using Penetrol! Will see how long it lasts on the JCW and Jeep [which has grey plastic!]. I would be happy with six months... Will let you know and Thanks always for sharing.

Ara
Yeah, let us know how you like it. I've come close several times to buying some penetrol but never pulled the trigger.

Old 10-08-2019, 02:12 PM
Beemerchef
3rd Gear
Originally Posted by crazy4trains
Yeah, let us know how you like it. I've come close several times to buying some penetrol but never pulled the trigger.
I will. Of course it looks good... will see how long it lasts. Big can for $9 at Lowes.

I detail cars and I use lacquer thinner to strip everything off the black trim of cars including my MINI. After it dries I wipe it down with Gyeon Prep and apply a ceramic coating call Gyeon Trim. You can search Google and find it and it’s available on Amazon.

Gyeon trim will last for years not weeks or months and will repel water and even bird drippings. You do not want to apply ANYTHING silicone based as it will not last.

As a cheap alternative you can follow the same process as above but coat you trim with Penetrol. Penetrol is oil based and available at Home Depot or Lowe’s in the paint Department. It is a liquid clear paint smoothing chemical that you use straight. You dab a little on a cloth that you will toss out when done and just wipe it on your trim and let it dry.

Both of the products above will not attract dust and pollen and will be completely dry. You will not have to re apply after the rain or after 10 or 20 car washes. Penetrol is an old fix that has been used by Jeep guys for years and it works. Just think of all the black plastic trim those things have and how hard they would be to keep clean after a day of mudding.
Can't find how to PM!... as I forgot to ask if it would damage the paint? Being very careful and wiping it off right away "if"... I am sure if dried on the paint will leave a layer. But wiping it off right away?

Thanks....

Last edited by Beemerchef; 10-08-2019 at 02:13 PM. Reason: Forgot something
Old 10-10-2019, 05:53 AM
d2mini
5th Gear
Received 100 Likes on 67 Posts
My car is pretty new, but I just bought this stuff for cleaning the fenders...
https://amzn.to/324XD3L

And this stuff to renew/protect the black finish...
https://amzn.to/30Zw8Y1

This is after I FINALLY found something that takes that waxy cosmoline stuff off the fenders...
https://amzn.to/2M18aYf

It's strong stuff so go easy and put some elbow grease into it. But it works, and it will remove everything... giving the area you clean a whitish tone to it.
Now you can use the first two products to finish cleaning the rest of the fender and then bring the black back.

Old 11-03-2019, 07:29 AM
Beemerchef
3rd Gear

Thank You Dave.O

Well, progress report on the Penetrol.

One month now and still just as new. I have realized that actually it is NOT a liquid which penetrates the plastic but if compared is like a hard "clear coat" which I put on and wiped to make it even. It looks very even, very smooth with no streaks whatsoever.
I am happy with it, including the one too many grills on the JCW [2018]. After washing the car I use a 180mph blower as it has a few layers of Menzerna and Wolfgang sealant/wax and whatever! So I am really never touching [just about!] the surface of the car.
I use a "touch-less" car wash...

Of course, my guessing for the future is...

Is it going to start "peeling off" some day? or just fade away? I hope it just fades away...

Has anyone had any experience over time with Penetrol?

Old 11-04-2019, 09:44 AM
OCR
5th Gear
Received 118 Likes on 104 Posts
All this "stuff" everyone's using...no one has commented whether these things leave a gloss surface, a medium dull or a full flat, no shine surface finish.
Me, I don't like shiny rubber or bare plastic.

Mike

Old 11-04-2019, 11:05 AM
Beemerchef
3rd Gear
Originally Posted by OCR
All this "stuff" everyone's using...no one has commented whether these things leave a gloss surface, a medium dull or a full flat, no shine surface finish.
Me, I don't like shiny rubber or bare plastic.

Mike

Good question Mike... I don't like shiny plastic either!

I happen to test the Penetrol also on my Jeep rear bumper and happen to take it to the car wash about an hour ago [touch less!] and took a photo for you! The Penetrol has been on for 5 [five] weeks now. I think it is going to work pretty well. Being transparent it is taking the color of the plastic which on the Jeep is lighter color than the Mini. I will let you be the judge. Would you say "semi gloss"? No editing on the photo by the way... It is what it is...

Obviously the car wash only does a good job on the "Penetrol" area which is slick and the dirt washes right off. Lets see how long it will last. I have the feeling quite a while as even with my nails I could not scratch it.

It has to go one and then wiped with a different towel for "no steaks". Wipe off the paint immediately if...

Old 11-04-2019, 04:59 PM
OCR
5th Gear
Received 118 Likes on 104 Posts
Thanks Beemerchef -

A little hard to tell, but it looks a little too glossy for my taste.
Did you "rub" on it at all when you applied it ? You know, gave it a good hard force full application, or just wipe it on ? Sometimes a good rubbing will dull the surface a little.
Like tire dressing. I tried a tire dressing/cleaner a while back. It was too shiny when used per the instructions. While it was doing it's cleaning and drying, I gave the tires a good hard rubbing with a towel. That dulled the surface to a nice medium flat surface, plenty acceptable.

Thanks for the info.

Mike

Old 11-04-2019, 05:09 PM
Beemerchef
3rd Gear
Originally Posted by OCR
Thanks Beemerchef -

A little hard to tell, but it looks a little too glossy for my taste.
Did you "rub" on it at all when you applied it ? You know, gave it a good hard force full application, or just wipe it on ? Sometimes a good rubbing will dull the surface a little.
Like tire dressing. I tried a tire dressing/cleaner a while back. It was too shiny when used per the instructions. While it was doing it's cleaning and drying, I gave the tires a good hard rubbing with a towel. That dulled the surface to a nice medium flat surface, plenty acceptable.

Thanks for the info.

Mike

Keep in mind that gloss is the sun shining on it while mid morning and the rear of the car facing East. I actually finished doing 3/4 of the Jeep and really like how it is turning out. Not that I care too much on that vehicle!!!
I can take a photo on the Mini tomorrow which is a darker plastic.
Or for $9 at Lowes you could also buy a can [which I think would last a Lifetime!!!] and try a small hidden spot.
I don't rub it much, goes on with a sponge while wearing vinyl gloves and a towel to smooth it out in the other hand also to wipe it off the paint when some gets on there...

Old 01-14-2020, 04:49 PM
Beemerchef
3rd Gear
Originally Posted by crazy4trains
So that was October 7th, had done both Jeep and JCW. Has been three months and it is still "as new" on both vehicles... It truly amazes me... It is not even ready to do it over! Wash and wipe it down. Don't use it on rubber however... Just "that plastic".

Found the thread and thought I would let you know. This $9 can will probably outlast me [I am 74!!!].

Get it ready with alcohol which is what I did, better if you use vinyl and some sort gloves and a sponge you are going to throw away is it solidify... Hope this helps.

Old 03-27-2020, 03:43 PM
SiboldJCW
1st Gear
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I like using Solution Finish. It's a tad pricey ($40 if i remember correctly) Just be sure to wipe off any on your paintwork or it will stain it.

Old 03-27-2020, 10:12 PM
thebmwnut
2nd Gear
Received 15 Likes on 12 Posts
Originally Posted by SiboldJCW
I like using Solution Finish. It's a tad pricey ($40 if i remember correctly) Just be sure to wipe off any on your paintwork or it will stain it.
I found this thread a couple of days ago and was shock no one used Simple Solution. I have had great luck with it and it does not leave the fenders shiny. I do the whole car before I start to remove it. then take the rag I used to wipe it all off and start cleaning the plastic under the hood, keeps it looking pretty new for a 8 year old car. Rubber gloves are a good thing. If I remember right, 2 years ago when I bought mine it came in black or grey.

Old 04-04-2020, 12:48 PM
falconshadow
1st Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I've found the ultimate simple solution. The Mr. Clean Magic Eraser!!! A quick scrub followed by a wipe with a wet cloth and they look brand new again!!

Old 04-04-2020, 02:42 PM
Minnie.the.Moocher
OVERDRIVE
Received 570 Likes on 486 Posts
Originally Posted by falconshadow
I've found the ultimate simple solution. The Mr. Clean Magic Eraser!!! A quick scrub followed by a wipe with a wet cloth and they look brand new again!!
How long does the "brand new" look remain? Sounds like a winner if it holds up for some time.

Old 04-04-2020, 02:54 PM
cristo
Alliance Member
Received 203 Likes on 167 Posts
I’ve been pretty impressed with Mr Clean
Magic Eraser for all kinds of stuff around
the house. AFAIK, the sponge doesn’t
leave behind any residue.
Next time I re-apply Gyeon Trim, I will use
a Magic Eraser sponge plus Gyeon Prep
before application.
Now that the weather is improving, I’m
itching to do it soon.

Old 05-10-2021, 08:28 PM
alienalen
I use it twice a year or so. It's a bit on the expensive side, but you need only a small amount. It's well worth it.

Old 05-12-2021, 01:23 PM
RudeJoe
4th Gear
Received 64 Likes on 46 Posts
Originally Posted by falconshadow
That melamine sponge material is surprisingly abrasive. I looked it up and found that they are equivalent to 3000 grit.

The following users liked this post:
yesti (05-12-2021)
Old 05-12-2021, 03:58 PM
cristo
Alliance Member
Originally Posted by RudeJoe
That melamine sponge material is surprisingly abrasive. I looked it up and found that they are equivalent to 3000 grit.
That shouldn’t be a problem for bare
(unpainted) black plastic or rubber.

Old 05-18-2021, 08:17 AM
mountain_bound
1st Gear
We have big plastic fenders on our Rubicon and I like to use Aerospace 303 UV protectant. This is not a long term cure all though. I believe a ceramic coating would be best for long term results.

Old 06-15-2021, 06:24 PM
Wanderson7262
1st Gear
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Well I tried the peanut butter trick. Cleaned the fenders with alcohol first, and they did look better.
But a week later, they got a white haze. More alcohol and a good scrub with dishwashing liquid got most of the haze, but they look worse than what I started with. Thanks for nothin’, smooth all natural JIF.

got some 303 coming in, will try to clean em again with some paint thinner first.

Old 06-21-2021, 10:27 AM
crazy4trains
3rd Gear
Received 27 Likes on 24 Posts
303 is a good protectant but doesn't really do all that well for keeping black trim black. I really like Solution Finish.

Old 06-21-2021, 02:54 PM
Capt_bj
OVERDRIVE
Received 281 Likes on 237 Posts
for the record .....

those parts are not BLACK to begin with ........

they are a dark gray ...... if you want BLACK you are coating 'em . . .

I use Zymol vinyl conditioner (one of the two products recommended by Mazda for use on Miata tops in the beginning)

Amazon Amazon

$$ but a little goes a long way ....and it WORKS . .

Old 06-21-2021, 05:06 PM
cristo
Alliance Member
I like Gyeon Q² Trim for black trim.