Detailing 101 Need to find out how to pamper your new MINI? Find out all the detailing secrets here.

Cleaning engine bay.

Search this Thread

Old 08-10-2017, 08:19 PM
Scooter24
4th Gear
Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts
Cleaning engine bay.

Just trying to see what everyone's opinion is on cleaning the engine bay with a power washer with low pressure? Mine is real dusty and dirty and I really want yo dial it in bit not sure if rinsing with water is a good idea?

Old 08-11-2017, 04:32 AM
Cenla Mini
3rd Gear
Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
I ran across this a few weeks ago...step by step and really well done.

Old 08-11-2017, 04:33 AM
Whine not Walnuts
OVERDRIVE
Received 625 Likes on 554 Posts
I use simple green, let it soak a bit, soft brush what I can and then garden hose off. I will use a power washer on the bottom but not on the top side. I have found that gunk type cleaners put a white cast on rubber hoses, the simple green does not.

The following users liked this post:
beken (01-12-2018)
Old 08-11-2017, 04:35 AM
Whine not Walnuts
OVERDRIVE
I will spray a little amorall on the black vinyl/rubber parts. I think there is also a spray type silicone as well.

Old 08-11-2017, 06:56 AM
crazy4trains
3rd Gear
Received 27 Likes on 24 Posts
Stay away from a pressure washer. Buy some all purpose cleaner/degreaser. I use LAs APC degreaser that I buy at the local dollar store. 1 buck for a 16 ounce bottle and it works great. Saturate everything liberally with the cleaner and allow to dwell for 10-15 minutes. Works better on a warm, not hot, engine. Spray off with a gentle shower or a mist setting. Heavily soiled areas may require some agitation with a brush. Cheap paint brushes work fine. Once dry spray with your favorite dressing or just leave it as is. Once you do this the first time you can repeat every 6 months to maintain.

Try not to over-saturate electrical connections. They can tolerate getting wet but shouldn't be hit with high pressure water.

Also, I have heard that simple green is not good for uncoated aluminum and will cause pitting. I'm no chemist and I didn't stay at a Holiday Inn Express last night so do your own research and come to your own conclusions.

Old 08-11-2017, 07:24 AM
Whine not Walnuts
OVERDRIVE
I have the SDS for simple green. The SDS is an OSHA requried document that provides the various parts of any material used in construction and or fabrication. There is a SDS for steel rebar, a bag of cement and lumber.

There are nine products listed on the SDS, water is one of the nine, in Simple Green. Two of the products; sodium citrate (5% of solution approximate) and citric acid ( 1% of solution approximate) are food additives and both are acidic in nature. The SDS further states that Simple Green is "not expected to cause" respiratory, skin or eye irritation.

Will Simple Green cause the aluminum in your car to oxidize? Most likely but remember that aluminum oxidizes in plain old air and water. There is an old saying, "dilution is the solution". Rinse the engine off after you have used the material.

I like a clean car but I am not the type that wears leather gloves so the oil in my skin gets on the steering wheel. I am also not going to be concerned with using Simple Green on my engine.

Suum cuique.

Old 08-11-2017, 11:50 AM
Capt_bj
OVERDRIVE
Received 281 Likes on 237 Posts
a word of warning ....

many times one buys Simple Green in concentrated form ... for most cleaning 1:10 dilution with water is a good starting point. 1:1 is a very strong solution. Undiluted Simple Green has been known to remove the color under the bonnet - which is 'base' not protected with clear .....

I've used low pressure steam on my engines for years. A handy tool in the garage ... cuts grease and oil with no chemicals ....

AutoRight SteamMachine Multi-Purpose Steam Cleaner

Amazon Amazon

Old 08-11-2017, 01:47 PM
Whine not Walnuts
OVERDRIVE
Off the course here a little but with either chrome or aluminum, Marvel Mystery oil does a great job cleaning any scale/oxidation.

Old 08-12-2017, 05:02 PM
crazy4trains
3rd Gear
Received 27 Likes on 24 Posts
Originally Posted by Capt_bj
a word of warning ....

many times one buys Simple Green in concentrated form ... for most cleaning 1:10 dilution with water is a good starting point. 1:1 is a very strong solution. Undiluted Simple Green has been known to remove the color under the bonnet - which is 'base' not protected with clear .....

I've used low pressure steam on my engines for years. A handy tool in the garage ... cuts grease and oil with no chemicals ....

AutoRight SteamMachine Multi-Purpose Steam Cleaner

https://www.amazon.com/AutoRight-C90.../dp/B01JYVLF0Y
Yes, concentrated Simple Green is very strong. I just put the caution out there because there are other products out there that will do a comparable job cleaning without the damage concerns in addition to being less expensive.

Old 12-04-2017, 08:09 PM
Vmaxx!
1st Gear
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Yeah...

I could use one about now. A certain moderator poured DIRT all over my engine compartment!

Old 12-05-2017, 05:08 AM
Whine not Walnuts
OVERDRIVE
Hmm, poured or dumped? Would think that "pour" would be associated with a liquid and/or semi liquid where "dump" could be something more solid. Was this "dirt" therefore more liquid or solid?

Old 12-05-2017, 05:46 AM
Vmaxx!
1st Gear
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
OK, Professor!☺

Old 12-29-2017, 11:41 AM
miniCPA
5th Gear
Received 145 Likes on 129 Posts
Has anyone ever posted pictures of the various MINI engines showing all of the parts that need to be covered before detailing?

I would like to detail the engine but I have a huge fear water and chemicals getting where they should not go.

Old 12-29-2017, 03:49 PM
Whine not Walnuts
OVERDRIVE
Relative to water and the engine, do you think the engine compartment can get water in it on a rainy day? An engine compartment submersed under water is one thing, spraying some water on and around the engine is another.

Common sense comes into play here.

Old 12-29-2017, 04:28 PM
Whine not Walnuts
OVERDRIVE
Below is a link to a good thread on cleaning an engine. Notice they talk about "wetting" not soaking. Again, common sense.

https://www.northamericanmotoring.co...ine-bay-430865

Old 12-30-2017, 05:09 PM
NC TRACKRAT
6th Gear
Received 200 Likes on 147 Posts
Rather than spraying the engine bay with a cleaner and/or water, get a container of smooth hand cleaner like Fast Orange (NO pumice) or GOOP. Put some on your palm, then soak it into a paper towel. Use the paper towel to clean dirt, grease and grime from your engine bay, repeat until clean. It takes time but does a great job without damaging or wetting critical components.

Last edited by NC TRACKRAT; 01-06-2018 at 05:48 AM.
Old 01-06-2018, 05:29 AM
mini4mo
3rd Gear
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
I just use a sponge and car wash soap.
The trick is to not let it get too bad like the picture above.

Old 02-21-2018, 09:25 AM
spikeyslam
Neutral
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Can I get it done at the dealership? It's time for my 1st maintenance. I got a little mud here and there. Will they make a fuss about it?