Detailing 101 Need to find out how to pamper your new MINI? Find out all the detailing secrets here.

What's best on the exterior black plastic?

Old 10-10-2017, 07:49 PM
z_wrecker
2nd Gear
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Anyone here try penetrol? I just tried it on my front bumper and I couldn't believe it. I found out about it on the other forum. Also known as Dave.0 secret sauce

Old 10-11-2017, 05:31 AM
crazy4trains
3rd Gear
Received 27 Likes on 24 Posts
Originally Posted by z_wrecker
Anyone here try penetrol? I just tried it on my front bumper and I couldn't believe it. I found out about it on the other forum. Also known as Dave.0 secret sauce

Show us some pics.

Old 10-23-2017, 09:27 PM
BumpDaddy
1st Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Wipe New. Restores and protects, and lasts for a very long time.

Old 11-03-2017, 02:12 PM
furnitureman9
2nd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Black Wow for sure. It's an amazing little bottle and a little goes a long way. Best product on the market for the Mini black trim!

Old 01-12-2018, 07:27 AM
OutMotoring
Vendor - 15 Years
Received 36 Likes on 27 Posts
Check this out while you're researching products:

Renew: Satn 8oz
Our price:$19.95

Renew: Gloz 8oz

Renew: Blak: 8 oz

OutMotoring.com: Home of the finest MINI and Aston Martin Parts + Accessories.
Shop online at www.OutMotoring.com
Free Shipping on most orders over $195 Click HERE

The following users liked this post:
vetsvette (01-12-2018)
Old 01-12-2018, 08:14 AM
vetsvette
Received 450 Likes on 343 Posts
That's what I use. Discovered it at MOTD. Best thing I've found for the cowl plastic. Lasts a long time too. Apply the Blak with a sponge applicator and after it dries follow it with either the Satn or Gloz depending on how much shine you want.

Old 03-12-2018, 05:28 PM
Shiner
2nd Gear
Received 22 Likes on 19 Posts
I used the black Protect Renew a few weeks ago and there many pros and very few cons. This is not a dressing that’s going to wash off after a few washings. There is black pigment and it’s my understanding that it is reintroducing carbon to the faded black trim. The only con is be careful the way you put it on. Buy a few small foam applicators and take your time. Tapeing off the area is a great suggestion as you will see the black if it over-runs onto the paint. The result was dramatic on the R57. Also, anything that has had Armorall on it will need to be throughly cleaned so no presence of the Armorall remains.

Old 03-13-2018, 05:41 AM
ECSTuning
Platinum Sponsor
Received 1,964 Likes on 1,764 Posts
I have used chemical guys VRP for the wheel arches and the cowls. Works great.

MINI Guru/ MINI Owner Since 2004 | NEW Lifetime Part Replacement | Local Pickup
Milltek | Genuine MINI | Forge Motorsport | NM Engineering | ECS Performance | M7 Speed
Customer Service Hours: 8am-8pm EST|Sales Team Hours: 8am-11pm | SAT 10am-7pm 800.924.5172
Old 05-20-2018, 07:30 PM
Dave.O
4th Gear
Received 53 Likes on 34 Posts
Gyeon Trim is 100 times better than anything posted above.

Amazon Amazon

Old 05-21-2018, 01:56 PM
rdvnacmini
1st Gear
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Ymmv

Originally Posted by Dave.O
Gyeon Trim is 100 times better than anything posted above.

https://www.amazon.com/Gyeon-FBA_GY-...70_&dpSrc=srch
The technology of the Gyeon product sounds interesting, and it looks super easy to apply. The $45 for the product plus $16 for the prep solution they recommend, though, does give me pause. That's pretty pricey for the "about 6 months" of protection that Gyeon promises.

IME there's a LOT of variation in how well any of these products work depending on the climate in which a car is driven and stored, how carefully the products are applied, and the car's past life (some trim is pretty sun damaged to start with, others just not jet black).

For example, I didn't love Black Wow but others get the jitters if they don't have a bottle of it near their Mini at all times. On my garaged R52 the "Trim ReNu" (or something like that, details in my post above) I used about a year ago still looks awesome and I've had no reason to reapply it (or apparently, remember its name). For others, Gyeon may be hands down the best choice.

When it comes to trim products YMMV, but IMO it's worth it to find whatever works best for you, as crisp black trim is one of those little things that *really* spruces up the appearance of our cars.

AMAZING car BTW, Dave. Beauty and brawn--a tip of the hat, sir.

Last edited by rdvnacmini; 05-21-2018 at 02:01 PM. Reason: typo
The following users liked this post:
Dave.O (05-21-2018)
Old 05-21-2018, 02:26 PM
Whine not Walnuts
OVERDRIVE
Received 625 Likes on 554 Posts
A picture of the Mistress does not do it justice.

Now the question I have is how many times has Dave0 heard that his car is cute?????????

Old 05-21-2018, 06:11 PM
Dave.O
4th Gear
Originally Posted by Whine not Walnuts
A picture of the Mistress does not do it justice.

Now the question I have is how many times has Dave0 heard that his car is cute?????????
100 million times.

Then I say wanna ride and scare the poo out of them like a good MINI owner.

Old 05-21-2018, 06:22 PM
DneprDave
6th Gear
Received 85 Likes on 77 Posts
Dave.O, you are not using Penetrol anymore?

Old 05-21-2018, 06:23 PM
Dave.O
4th Gear
Originally Posted by rdvnacmini
The technology of the Gyeon product sounds interesting, and it looks super easy to apply. The $45 for the product plus $16 for the prep solution they recommend, though, does give me pause. That's pretty pricey for the "about 6 months" of protection that Gyeon promises.

IME there's a LOT of variation in how well any of these products work depending on the climate in which a car is driven and stored, how carefully the products are applied, and the car's past life (some trim is pretty sun damaged to start with, others just not jet black).

For example, I didn't love Black Wow but others get the jitters if they don't have a bottle of it near their Mini at all times. On my garaged R52 the "Trim ReNu" (or something like that, details in my post above) I used about a year ago still looks awesome and I've had no reason to reapply it (or apparently, remember its name). For others, Gyeon may be hands down the best choice.

When it comes to trim products YMMV, but IMO it's worth it to find whatever works best for you, as crisp black trim is one of those little things that *really* spruces up the appearance of our cars.

AMAZING car BTW, Dave. Beauty and brawn--a tip of the hat, sir.
I understand your view but as a detailer I do not like to use ANY product that has silicone in it.

I buy the prep spray by the 5 liter jug and it is an EXCELLENT glass cleaner also. I also use prep to clean off compound and polish when correcting paint to make sure I am getting the results I am trying to achieve. (Perfection)

Gyeon Trim will last a lot longer than a year easy and have only used it a few times. I dress all the trim on cars I do with Gyeon MOHS, Prime, Pure or Syncro.

It all depends on what I am coating the car with and have in my hand at the time. All of those products last 2 years easy outside and I don’t even know how long when the car is kept in a garage.

Old 06-07-2018, 08:39 AM
Dave.O
4th Gear
Originally Posted by DneprDave
Dave.O, you are not using Penetrol anymore?
Not really, it tends to flake off in the spring in our area because of all the salt breaks it down.

I have used it for a long time and it’s great stuff for Jeeps but I don’t like striping it off in the Spring and reapplying it again because I am OCD about the little details. I know it’s once a year maintenance and I don’t even feel like doing that.

Damn I am getting old and lazy.

Old 06-10-2018, 07:01 PM
mattkosem
5th Gear
Received 27 Likes on 25 Posts
Kinda funny. I've had an R55 and R56, and my wife had an R60 before her F55. On the first 3 I experienced graying in the fenders that required treatment (back to black, 303, heck even tire gloss worked fine). On the current cars, I'm not sure if it can be attributed to a material change or change in regimen, but I've used nothing but Optimum No Rinse diluted to quick detailer strength and they're as black as the day they arrived.

--Matt

Search this Thread