Detailing 101 Need to find out how to pamper your new MINI? Find out all the detailing secrets here.

Carbon Fiber Ding Repair

Search this Thread

Old 06-26-2017, 05:29 AM
Johnna
5th Gear
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Carbon Fiber Ding Repair

Hail or rock ding in CF wing.

Close up of CF ding.

I searched the detailing forum and couldn't find anything about carbon fiber finish spot repair. The wing on my GP2 looks like it was hit by a small rock or possibly some hail. There is some flakeyness to the finish. Resin? Clear coat?

I want to fix it but fear making it worse through my well intended but naive efforts. If anyone has experience dealing with this sort of thing, I would appreciate your advice.

Old 06-26-2017, 06:11 AM
-=gRaY rAvEn=-
Received 64 Likes on 54 Posts
Difficulty in seeing depth of the damage or defect... I dont see any striation in the clear so maybe not impact damage at all...

Theres basically a clear coat over CF weave. It may just go away with some of the clear coat that comes with the MINI touch up paint kits....But some of the aftermarket clear coat repair bottles come with a foam applicator and may perform better during application.

Maybe try that in a small area, let it dry and re-evaluate. If not then a body repair shop would have to fill with clear, sand, and re-clear the entire wing.

Any other GP2 owners reporting issues of this type with CF wing ?

The following users liked this post:
Johnna (06-26-2017)