Detailing 101 Need to find out how to pamper your new MINI? Find out all the detailing secrets here.

Cracked Checkmate's leather seat..

Old 02-26-2017, 09:58 PM
delsurviajero
Neutral
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Cracked Checkmate's leather seat..

How to fill and match color (blue) on cracks on the leather part of the seats?

Old 02-28-2017, 02:31 PM
Capt_bj
OVERDRIVE
Received 281 Likes on 237 Posts
a) find a good auto upholstery shop and get an estimate

b) buy a box of colored sharpies and experiment ..... don't laugh ...... I touched up scratches in my 02's Lapis Blue leather for years with a good color match Sharpie ..... the "leather" MINI used back then was crud.

What I got in my 07 held up MUCH better

but NOWHERE near as good as the all leather Recaro seats in my FOCUS ST .... 3 years and they look brand new with no care beyond a damp rag wipe down occasionally. Definitely a different grade of material ... you can tell from the first touch.

Old 02-28-2017, 08:59 PM
MrElusive
2nd Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
You can purchase a leather repair kit online as well. Usually you would sand the area, apply some leather filler, let it dry, then apply the color-matching dye.

There are several youtube videos on this procedure, it's not very complicated but the kits usually run $70 - $100 so as captbj recommended, going with a local leather restoration professional may be the easiest way to go depending on the amount of damage your vehicle has.

Always keep a good coat of conditioner on the leather to moisturize and protect the leather. A quick and easy product is Surf City Garage Voodoo Blend Leather Rejuvenater. It is a one-step cleaner and protectant, leaves a matte finish, smells pleasant, and provides lasting protection.

Old 03-01-2017, 09:46 AM
gumbedamit
5th Gear
Received 96 Likes on 87 Posts
Old 03-09-2017, 12:11 PM
aslondon
2nd Gear
Received 5 Likes on 2 Posts
Is the surf city rejuvenator better than Lexol, which has been my goto product for years.

Old 03-09-2017, 04:55 PM
MrElusive
2nd Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Lexol is excellent but it is a two step product and the leather cleaner step is exhausting IMO. I would say Lexol is better if you are willing to put in the time.

Old 03-15-2017, 07:38 PM
NJ Mini
6th Gear
Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts
I'd follow the suggestions of the leather repair kit if you don't mind some potential mis-match on the color. An upholstery shop is the best bet, but depends on how much you want to spend.

Good conditioner for the leather is a great idea, but once the leather is cracked this won't do a lot to help the situation. Any pics of the leather would help to diagnose what you might be able to accomplish at home vs at the shop. Griots leather rejuvenator is another good product to have on hand for older leather in need of conditioning.

Old 03-15-2017, 11:47 PM
delsurviajero
Neutral
Thanks everyone for your advice... Can't locate a good upholstery shop in Denver willing to work on the seat here on Denver. I'm gonna have to do it myself.

Old 03-16-2017, 05:56 AM
druzmini
1st Gear
off the https://www.leatherrepairkits.com/ site there is no MINIs listed for auto leather colors-what do I pick a BMW if I have an 06 R53 w the dark gray seats? I have a few cracks that are needing this procedure otherwise the interior is in perfect condition.

Search this Thread