North American Motoring

North American Motoring (https://www.northamericanmotoring.com/forums/)
-   Detailing 101 (https://www.northamericanmotoring.com/forums/detailing-101-12/)
-   -   Scratches on Rear Hatch Window (https://www.northamericanmotoring.com/forums/detailing-101/302277-scratches-on-rear-hatch-window.html)

puggy 05-01-2016 11:35 AM

Scratches on Rear Hatch Window

Because I am a total idiot, I was hosing off hardened bird poop on my rear hatch glass and used the metal tip of the hose nozzle to coax it off. Why you ask? Because I had a brain fart would be the best answer. Something went through my mind that glass wouldn't scratch. Well, it did. I can only feel one tiny spot with my fingernail but the scratches show up in daylight as clearer than the normal, factory,tinted window. That could be just the play of light but its there a way to buff out this 2" area??? This would be my first boo boo on my 2015 Mini Cooper S. And I'm not happy with my stupidity. especially since I had a microfiber cloth on the front seat.:o:mad:

Capt_bj 05-01-2016 12:32 PM

http://www.eastwood.com/pro-glass-polishing-kit.html

https://cimg6.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.nor...f72d2c7444.jpg

Remove scratches and haze from even older windshields and you'll avoid expensive replacements Think that old windshield is so scratched that you'll have to replace it? It's not easy to find a replacement, and even if you do, imagine the expense! Our Pro Glass Polishing Kit will remove scratches from glass and prevent that aggravation and cost!
Removes light scratches and clears years of wiper haze
Ideal for hard-to-replace windshields on older cars
Works with your drill or low-speed polisher

there is a more aggressive kit too

caution tho, easy to do more damage with this . . . . you may want to talk to a detailer . . .

puggy 05-01-2016 01:37 PM

Yeah, I'm not going to touch it. Thanks, though for the tip. More expense! What ever possessed me that I could do that?

Capt_bj 05-01-2016 02:49 PM

sometimes it is preferable to live with the blemish ....

I have a dime sized dent in my pass' side door that is in an area that well, every PDR guy who has looked at it has said NO. The paint isn't cracked but behind the dent is a doubler plate and it is also up high where glass is always, unless the door is taken apart and the glass removed. So that leaves a 'traditional' repair and re-painting the entire door. I've decided to leave it alone, and after 18 months I hardly notice it any more .... Frankly, I tried to take a picture of it to show another PDR guy recently and he said, "what dent?" So while you see a HUGE PIMPLE, others don't see anything probably . . . .

Deep breath ..... and don't do it again!

puggy 05-01-2016 03:29 PM

Originally Posted by Capt_bj (Post 4203224)
sometimes it is preferable to live with the blemish ....

I have a dime sized dent in my pass' side door that is in an area that well, every PDR guy who has looked at it has said NO. The paint isn't cracked but behind the dent is a doubler plate and it is also up high where glass is always, unless the door is taken apart and the glass removed. So that leaves a 'traditional' repair and re-painting the entire door. I've decided to leave it alone, and after 18 months I hardly notice it any more .... Frankly, I tried to take a picture of it to show another PDR guy recently and he said, "what dent?" So while you see a HUGE PIMPLE, others don't see anything probably . . . .

Deep breath ..... and don't do it again!

I'm try to be "normal" about it and it's hard! I know one never drops keys on a glass coffee table and so...well, chalk it up to mindlessness. I may get an estimate to buff it from my local BMW collision center.

Coopersrule 05-09-2016 10:36 PM

Glass scratches

Originally Posted by Capt_bj (Post 4203192)
http://www.eastwood.com/pro-glass-polishing-kit.html

https://cimg6.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.nor...f72d2c7444.jpg

Remove scratches and haze from even older windshields and you'll avoid expensive replacements Think that old windshield is so scratched that you'll have to replace it? It's not easy to find a replacement, and even if you do, imagine the expense! Our Pro Glass Polishing Kit will remove scratches from glass and prevent that aggravation and cost!
Removes light scratches and clears years of wiper haze
Ideal for hard-to-replace windshields on older cars
Works with your drill or low-speed polisher

there is a more aggressive kit too

caution tho, easy to do more damage with this . . . . you may want to talk to a detailer . . .

Think I need the aggressive one, some deep scratches in windshield. What are some of the cautionary notes?

puggy 05-10-2016 03:56 AM

I was embarrassed and told the local MINI/BMW (MINI/BMW dealer owned) collision center what happened (they have handled everything for me from my 2006 MINI to now). They said it's comprehensive no matter how it happened whether I did it accidentally or vandalism. I have zero deductible on glass/comprehensive and State Farm has allowed them to order a genuine MINI replacement glass (wth the 2 MINI logos and the bulldog in the glass). Initially State Fram said I would have to pay the difference between aftermarket and OEM glass but they didn't charge me extra for it. I had to pay a slight difference in labor rate so there whole thing is costing me $45. It's around $590 and I'm getting about $543. I'm happy. Right now, comprehensive claims don't raise the insurance premiums but they said in the future , down the road, they might. It's getting done tomorrow. :thumbsup:

Capt_bj 05-11-2016 01:57 PM

Originally Posted by Coopersrule (Post 4206061)
Think I need the aggressive one, some deep scratches in windshield. What are some of the cautionary notes?

any buffer in the hands of one not skilled in the use, can REALLY mess up the surface being worked on. In most cases we're talking about screwing up a paint job with swirls and in worst case a burn (a buffer can generate heat)

In this case, working on glass, you could gouge it worse, or make more scratches than you remove. And you COULD crack the piece! Don't press too hard in hopes of speeding things up.

I tried the aggressive kit on a side glass of my 79 and gave up before I saw any difference. (it is a really messed up side window) You need to work slow and it will take time ... a long time.

Got COMP coverage????? Maybe that's worth a shot. {if your comp has a high deductible, ask what it costs to change to ZERO ... you might be surprised. COMP rates are WAY less than collision in many cases.}

Puggy: I would have never thought to go COMP so good job on that.

puggy 05-11-2016 02:45 PM

I'm very glad I put in the claim. Other than a shopping cart being shoved into the side of my late 2011 Cooper, I have few claims. I have zero deductible on comp. The check had been mailed but not yet received. so i shelled out the money. Check was mailed 5/5 so it really is slow. I asked my insurance agents if comp claims can cause an increase in rates and was told not presently but in the future, people may see their rates go up for comprehensive claims. I say enough! Works out to about $135 a month for my policy and that's a lot-although it is an "S".

The work was done today and I got a great hand wash! NO MORE METAL HOSE NOZZLES TO GET BIRD POOP OFF!!!! Nice resolution so I don't have to look at and fixate on the scratches. :thumbsup: