Detailing 101 Need to find out how to pamper your new MINI? Find out all the detailing secrets here.

Remove Wax residue from Wheel molding

Search this Thread

Old 09-22-2010, 08:33 AM
OctaneGuy
Vendor & Moderator :: MINI Camera and Video & c3 club forum
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Which photos are you referring to? If you need more pix of what PW does, check out my OctaneGuy detailing writeups and you will see what it does. PW will permanently remove the wax/polish residue with the least amount of effort without harming your paint.

Originally Posted by ian3

Not sure about Prewow... the photos didn't do justice for me.

Old 11-09-2010, 03:48 AM
isthar
5th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
So, can we buy PW yet? I tried peanut oil, and the first few days I thought "this works!" ... and now I realize... it kinda didn't.

Old 12-26-2010, 10:55 AM
OctaneGuy
Sorry for the late reply but yes of course!

http://showcarsupplies.com/shopexd.asp?id=230&bc=no

There is nothing better for cleaning, prepping, removing wax/polish stains from your "wheel moulding" and all trim.

Say goodbye to this kind of stuff forever!

Richard

Originally Posted by isthar
So, can we buy PW yet? I tried peanut oil, and the first few days I thought "this works!" ... and now I realize... it kinda didn't.

Old 12-31-2010, 03:14 PM
jcarlos914
3rd Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I really don't mean to be a complainer but I used the PW and about two weeks later the residue is all back. I didn't wax the car or anything besides wash after applying the PW. All the residue is the same from when I used it. Maybe it is because I did not use BlackWow after?

Old 12-31-2010, 03:21 PM
OctaneGuy
Please tell me what your process was?

Did you use the toothbrush?
Did you spritz PW on the brush and scrub it until it was gone?
Did you wipe it dry?

If PW were masking the problem, the "effect" will end in hours, and not longer than a day, so to see the problem two weeks later seems very strange.

What product did you follow PW with? Or did you leave it bare?
Can you post some pix?

Also remember that PW is a precleaner. You will still need to follow it with a dressing to protect the plastic, whether it's BW or some other product. Sometimes a thoroughly cleaned area with PW is mistaken for residue when in fact, the problem became inverted...in that the PW'd area is actually free of any residue while the surrounding needs help.

Richard

Originally Posted by jcarlos914
I really don't mean to be a complainer but I used the PW and about two weeks later the residue is all back. I didn't wax the car or anything besides wash after applying the PW. All the residue is the same from when I used it. Maybe it is because I did not use BlackWow after?

Old 12-31-2010, 03:25 PM
jcarlos914
3rd Gear
I washed the car then sprayed a generous amount on each spot while brushing with the provided toothbrush. I also used a microfiber towel afterward. Maybe that's where I went wrong was I not supposed to wipe dry? I did leave it bare after the PW. It went through a few washes before the spots reappeared. Don't get me wrong the stuff works it is maybe my mistake.

Old 12-31-2010, 03:32 PM
OctaneGuy
Thanks for the additional info. No, the process you did sounds fine. PW has cleaners that dissolves old wax and polish residue when it's scrubbed. The solution temporarily makes the trim darker again as if you put a dressing on it, until it evaporates which usually takes a few hours to a day depending on the environment. It shouldn't have lasted two weeks, that's what I don't understand.

The only way the spots could reappear is if they were being masked and weren't removed in the first place, but you would know that pretty quickly..as in the next day, especially since you didn't apply any products afterwards to further conceal it.

Can you post some pix?

Richard

I washed the car then sprayed a generous amount on each spot while brushing with the provided toothbrush. I also used a microfiber towel afterward. Maybe that's where I went wrong was I not supposed to wipe dry? I did leave it bare after the PW. It went through a few washes before the spots reappeared. Don't get me wrong the stuff works it is maybe my mistake.

Old 12-31-2010, 03:35 PM
jcarlos914
3rd Gear
I will post pics tomorrow.

Old 12-31-2010, 03:41 PM
OctaneGuy
Great thanks! Also where did the spots originate from? What products did you use to cause the staining in the first place?

There are two methods I like to use that can help get the most out of PW. Scrubbing textured plastic with the included brush and using a terry towel like the bulk rough painter rags from Home Depot. They feel like the bath towels at a Motel 6...very rough and thin, lol. They have a bit more bite that can be helpful on severely stained trim. Sometimes the brush just isn't enough. Microfiber towels are just too smooth to help..great on paint, but useless to remove buildup. These rags are cheap and effective.

http://www.homedepot.com/h_d1/N-5yc1...atalogId=10053

Richard

I will post pics tomorrow.

Old 01-05-2011, 11:11 AM
jcarlos914
3rd Gear
Here is a picture of just one of the spots that reappeared:

Name:  photo-5.jpg
Views: 235
Size:  55.4 KB

Old 01-05-2011, 02:25 PM
OctaneGuy
Thanks for posting the pic. Please PM me your address. I want you to try something. I can't find your contact info.

Richard

Here is a picture of just one of the spots that reappeared:

Last edited by OctaneGuy; 01-05-2011 at 02:38 PM.
Old 06-26-2011, 10:46 AM
ianjenkins
2nd Gear
I've been using BlackWow on it's own, and it has helped slightly, but not to the effect that the above processes with PreWow > BlackWow describe.

I may have to pick that up and try removing the residue first... if that'll work. Been using this wax (PS21 Concours) since I got the car, and from the first waxing the stuff that hit the black molding has been impossible to remove.

Old 06-26-2011, 11:20 AM
OctaneGuy
BW has some cleaners in it, but you still need to use more than a sesame seed sized drop and it needs some help with a painters or shop rag. PW works great to remove that residue when used as directed. Takes literally seconds to solve a problem that can plague you for years.

Originally Posted by ianjenkins
I've been using BlackWow on it's own, and it has helped slightly, but not to the effect that the above processes with PreWow > BlackWow describe.

I may have to pick that up and try removing the residue first... if that'll work. Been using this wax (PS21 Concours) since I got the car, and from the first waxing the stuff that hit the black molding has been impossible to remove.

Old 08-02-2011, 06:23 PM
too cool blue!
1st Gear
I got tired of the temporary fixes and just painted the arches using Duplicolor trim paint.

Pushing on the bottom of the arch would lift the arch on the paint enough to easily slide in slick magazine pages. I also taped newspaper to protect the paint beyond the pages. The front and rear bumper trim and side louvers were easy enough to do too.

It's been months since I painted them and they still look like new.

Old 08-21-2011, 06:06 PM
chr1515
Neutral
This is the solution.. trust me!

Thanks to my smoking hot wife for coming up with the idea!!!

http://www.mrclean.com/en_US/magic-eraser.do

Old 08-22-2011, 06:32 PM
accce
2nd Gear
Wax removal

You should read the thread before you post something that was already said a long time ago.

Originally Posted by chr1515
Thanks to my smoking hot wife for coming up with the idea!!!

http://www.mrclean.com/en_US/magic-eraser.do

Old 01-13-2012, 02:42 PM
JJGreer
1st Gear
Please to post pictures of "Smoking Hot Wife." Thank-you very much.

Old 04-07-2012, 10:36 AM
pmsummer
5th Gear
Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts
The Domestic Science of my Hobbies.

I now use a hand steamer to clean LPs, Tite Bond II wood glue to clean really dirty old LPs, a Swiffer sheet to dust LPs, a Mr. Clean Magic Eraser to clean phono cartridge styli...

...and now, thanks to this thread, LouAnn Peanut Oil to clean/dress the wheel arches of my MINI.

Last edited by pmsummer; 04-07-2012 at 10:44 AM.
Old 09-23-2012, 07:23 PM
skaufman
2nd Gear
I am not going to read all 5 pages to see if someone mentioned this already, but I detail cars for a living and have always used a little simple green all purpose cleaner and a toothbrush. works great and it doesnt come back. I have even done it on a Murcielago and a Ferrari 458 Italia, and those guys have never said anything and they inspect their cars all day long. If you are one of the people who says dont get it on there in the first place, well, most of us are not quite as perfect as you. Its also a very cheap product to test.

Old 01-22-2013, 02:52 PM
FSUmini
Neutral
Not sure if this has already been said, but try using some mineral spirits. Worked great for me.

Old 06-10-2013, 07:07 PM
Rosie077
1st Gear
Mothers back to black with a little elbow grease works well for me.

Old 07-08-2013, 10:47 PM
ninja turtle
2nd Gear
Jiffy Peanut Butter works just fine.

Old 11-04-2013, 01:27 PM
komet155
4th Gear
A buddy of mine who has an Isuzu Vehicross swears by Mothers Back to Black and I just used it for the very first time on my Cooper. It worked well with little effort except I needed to apply it 2x in some areas where there had been more wax left behind.
I noticed the next day the moldings attract dirt like a magnet now...is that normal and permanent or will it go away as it dries out?

Originally Posted by Rosie077
Mothers back to black with a little elbow grease works well for me.

Old 11-04-2013, 03:52 PM
NJ Mini
6th Gear
Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by komet155
A buddy of mine who has an Isuzu Vehicross swears by Mothers Back to Black and I just used it for the very first time on my Cooper. It worked well with little effort except I needed to apply it 2x in some areas where there had been more wax left behind.
I noticed the next day the moldings attract dirt like a magnet now...is that normal and permanent or will it go away as it dries out?
It's not permanent but it is typical of back to black. It will go away as the product wears off, which won't be long. The reason it works is that the alcohol in it dissolves carnauba wax. It may not always work with sealants or synthetic waxes. It also attempts to cover the area but it attracts dust like you wouldn't believe and it streaks when rained on.

I'd suggest what many on the forum use which is black wow as a dressing and pre wow as a cleaner. You could also use an all purpose cleaner at a diluted ratio to clean and use a different dressing such as Adams vrp dressing. Nothing seems to last as long as the black wow however.

Old 11-05-2013, 04:07 AM
minilovr
1st Gear
Re:Dust Problem

Originally Posted by komet155
I found that after the first wash the dust problem went away.

Quick Reply: Remove Wax residue from Wheel molding