North American Motoring

North American Motoring (https://www.northamericanmotoring.com/forums/)
-   Detailing 101 (https://www.northamericanmotoring.com/forums/detailing-101-12/)
-   -   Cleaning Convertible Top (https://www.northamericanmotoring.com/forums/detailing-101/193327-cleaning-convertible-top.html)

Bullenbeisser 07-24-2010 08:10 AM

Cleaning Convertible Top

After purchasing my wife's Mini last week, I noticed that the convertible top could use a cleaning. How would you recommend I do that? Techniques? What products would you recommend I buy? What would you avoid?

Getting ready to give the baby it's first bath today. Thanks!

JoeyC 07-24-2010 08:16 AM

Originally Posted by Bullenbeisser (Post 3097402)
After purchasing my wife's Mini last week, I noticed that the convertible top could use a cleaning. How would you recommend I do that? Techniques? What products would you recommend I buy? What would you avoid?

For the last 4 years, I've just been washing it with the car and letting it sun dry. Looks as good as day 1 and does not have any lint hairs from drying.

So the only recommendation would be not to dry it with a towel...rinse the soap off and let it sit.

smurfette26 07-24-2010 03:54 PM

MINI sells a convertible top cleaning kit. It comes with a cleaner, protectant, sap remover and vinyl protectant spray for about $50 (I think). That is what I have used the past two years (except for the sap remover...dont really park under trees). There are other soft top cleaning kits out there too. I do the cleaning and protectant once a year.

BTW, I use about one-fifth of the protectant (the conversion is 1.7 ounces protectant to about 17 ounces of water) and that has been pleanty even though the instructions on the bottle say to use the whole bottle (and then wipe off excess). The top feels pretty soaked with that amount. I would say the bottle of cleanser will last me at least five years.

I have, on occasion, blotted the top dry with a microfiber. Usually when I am anxious to drop the top after a rain to help speed up the drying time.

Bullenbeisser 07-25-2010 10:16 AM

Gratitude

My first thought was, "Oh wow, both people that responded have Mini convertibles too!"

Then I thought, "Well, duh."

Thanks guys! Loving this forum already.

Skipped the 1st wash yesterday - it's pretty much already spotless - and my wife, kids & I headed for San Francisco for a day trip. Pretty cool driving across the Bay Bridge & the Golden Gate with the top down. Saw downtown SF like never before - top down. All four of us were in awe. We have a 5 speed and I hadn't driven a stick in maybe 12 - 15 years so starts & stops on the steep hills got the adrenaline going a bit, but I never killed it.

rwwilsonjr 08-06-2010 04:25 PM

Originally Posted by Bullenbeisser (Post 3097402)

I no longer have a convertible but I did and I can definitely recommend Raggtop Convertible Top Cleaner and Raggtop Convertible Top Protectant (for canvas tops). If you use these products about twice a year your top will look great and last longer.

For routine top washing, I used a horse-hair brush (a large shoe polishing brush will work) or a drywall sponge. Do not use a terry towel on the top or you will end up with lint all over the canvas. Also, I don't recommend using carwash liquid for routine washing either...use a very mild detergent or a specially made convertible top wash (Porsche makes one and I'm sure their are others).

Finally, here's a tip (especially if you have a cat who loves to nap on top of your top): use a lint roller (like the one in the link bellow) to "dry-clean" the canvas top in between washes.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...N0PSTZ5N58P53N

:thumbsup: