Detailing 101 Need to find out how to pamper your new MINI? Find out all the detailing secrets here.

Three Degrees & I Can't Figure Out How to Wash my MINI - Please help!!!!

Search this Thread

Old 03-26-2008, 06:35 PM
Mini*In*Flux
3rd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Three Degrees & I Can't Figure Out How to Wash my MINI - Please help!!!!

I have spent a few of days going through every thread in Detailing 101 and I feel completely lost - as much as I think I would enjoy giving Kirky a much needed bath I have decided to have her cleaned professionally once a month and rinsing her off with just water in between; the problem is that I don't know who to trust in the area.

My questions: how do I determine who is a good and careful detailer (other than Octane Guy who unfortunately is on the opposite Coast) without using Kirky as a Guinea Pig.

I am not using the one that my Dealer uses because I was not impressed with their work when I picked her up (left a huge sticker/glue residue on the back bumper).

Old 03-26-2008, 06:42 PM
misslindsey
5th Gear
The body shop in my town does good detail work. Call a couple body shops and ask if they do details or if they have a recommendation for you.

However - you can do it yourself! The worst you can do is add swirlies that pretty much appear no matter what you do and are pretty easy to get out.

Old 03-26-2008, 07:07 PM
Mini*In*Flux
3rd Gear
Originally Posted by misslindsey
However - you can do it yourself!
That was the original idea, but I can't even decide what products to buy!

I thought I had it all figured out, including my Machiavellian plan to work on my technique and inevitable mistakes (my boyfriend has been eyeing me with suspicion since I mentioned that I really wanted to detail his car first)

But after five pages of notes, diagrams, pictures and lists - not so sure anymore...

Old 03-26-2008, 07:09 PM
umberto
6th Gear
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
a must is OctaneGuy's video of the 2 bucket method of washing your car....was an eye-opening experience for me(and for my car).......it explains all you need to know about technique, materials, and car shampoo and towels

here's a link:
https://www.northamericanmotoring.co...t+method+video

Last edited by umberto; 03-26-2008 at 07:15 PM.
Old 03-26-2008, 07:14 PM
misslindsey
5th Gear
You're doing better than 80% of the car owning population by just avoiding a carwash. If you don't know if doing it yourself is for you, don't spend a fortune on supplies. Just get some carwash soap, a claybar (even this I dunno, I'm not convinced as much as everyone raves), a wash mitt (real lambswool) and some good towels (DP always has them on sale - or spend more on a "good" cotton towel at BBB). Oh, and some kind of wax or polish. There are varying opinions on what works and what doesn't, but some is better than none.
Wash it with Dawn, dry, clay (?), and wax 'er up. After that use the good stuff until you want to wax it again. Just add more if it looks good, or Dawn to start all over.

Old 03-26-2008, 08:09 PM
Mini*In*Flux
3rd Gear
don't spend a fortune on supplies
that's why I think I'd rather have someone else do it - I would end up buying so much stuff that I would never use.

Umberto - that was a great video, I just finished watching it, thanks for the link!

Old 03-26-2008, 08:11 PM
Jeff S.
3rd Gear
I am not an expert but there is a difference between a polih and a wax. The former will clean and take some scratches (swirls) off but you then need to protect the paint by applying a wax.. Thre are new products that are not even a wax but sealer. These last for about 6 months to a year--according to the companies. You don't have to spend every weekend being **** compulsive, but do it right and DRIVE YOUR MINI

Old 03-27-2008, 03:55 AM
kenchan
6th Gear
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
i dont think you can wash a car in 3F.

is wat i was about to reply...

Old 03-27-2008, 04:43 AM
greengobln
5th Gear
i use some hot water from the bath tub in the buckets instead of hose water. drying it off in the cold is a PITA. so i clean my water blade and get off as much as i can. the supplies you buy will last for years. things you'll go trough alot of is the interior cleaner 303 or that kind of thing and whatever you use on your tires. but that stuff's cheap. still i don't like to wash unless it over 40F

Old 03-27-2008, 04:59 AM
Speedwing
4th Gear
Where are you located?

http://www.driwashwaterlesscarwash.com/home

I use this for when I drive to a show and get some "minor" grime on the car. You have to understand that any rubbing of abrasive dirt can put minor scratches in the surface.

The best plan is to make sure you have done your best at getting a good protective product on the car before the cold weather sets in.

Even in PA we have outside car washes with heated bays (quarters in the wash machine and quarters in the overhead heater controller) for those times when you just have to get the crud/salt off.

Old 03-27-2008, 05:54 AM
thulchatt
6th Gear
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Mini*In*Flux
that's why I think I'd rather have someone else do it - I would end up buying so much stuff that I would never use.

Umberto - that was a great video, I just finished watching it, thanks for the link!
It really does not take that much to have a great looking car.

Wash - use Dawn if you are doing all detailing, otherwise a good car wash soap
Clay - yes you probably do need to do this and it is not hard, a little scary the first time but really hard to mess-up. Keep plenty of lube under the clay and take your time.
Polish - if by hand you need something with fillers, Amigo.
Seal (Wax) - most anything now is not wax but a sealer. Epic or NXT are great.
Done!

Next wash - two bucket from video
Hydro - spray on and dry

Also, I would never wash when it is 3 degrees. Just wait until it is warmer and don't let someone unqualified damage your paint.

Old 03-27-2008, 03:55 PM
lotsie
Banned
You're doing better than 80% of the car owning population by just avoiding a carwash. If you don't know if doing it yourself is for you, don't spend a fortune on supplies. Just get some carwash soap, a claybar (even this I dunno, I'm not convinced as much as everyone raves), a wash mitt (real lambswool) and some good towels (DP always has them on sale - or spend more on a "good" cotton towel at BBB). Oh, and some kind of wax or polish. There are varying opinions on what works and what doesn't, but some is better than none.
Wash it with Dawn, dry, clay (?), and wax 'er up. After that use the good stuff until you want to wax it again. Just add more if it looks good, or Dawn to start all over.
I really wish it were that easy. Dawn will strip off some wax/sealants, but not all. Clay or don't clay? Well it may look good if you don't, but the feel of the finished work will not be the same.

There is something to be said for doing basic paint maintenance, and it should be done to protect your car. But learning what will, and how to make your ride not just look good, but great, is the reason for this forum

Mark

Old 03-27-2008, 06:23 PM
Mini*In*Flux
3rd Gear
Thank you for all your input! Actually I really want to give Kirky a bath but I am overwhelmed by all the information and the cold weather (not quite so cold anymore, now it's inching in the high 30s / low 40s - I am in NYS).

I am still confused about all the steps: clay? wax? polish? rewax? I was relieved watching the video - now that's something I can manage!

So, throwing caution out the window I just ordered a bunch of Prima products and I'll pick up a couple of buckets at Home Depot...

Old 03-27-2008, 07:16 PM
misslindsey
5th Gear
Originally Posted by lotsie
I really wish it were that easy. Dawn will strip off some wax/sealants, but not all. Clay or don't clay? Well it may look good if you don't, but the feel of the finished work will not be the same.

There is something to be said for doing basic paint maintenance, and it should be done to protect your car. But learning what will, and how to make your ride not just look good, but great, is the reason for this forum

Mark
Hey.. I bet I've spent over $400 on detailing tools and supplies - I take care of my paint. But it's a lot for someone to get into. Most non "car people" I know never wax their cars. So even just using decent soap and waxing a few times a year is better than nothing. And having a professional do it once in a while will keep it in good shape.

Old 03-28-2008, 07:32 AM
cadfael_tex
5th Gear
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Hey, good luck. I think you'll end up really enjoying the experience. Definitely something you see immediate gratification from. Can't help you with the cold bit - I'm in Alabama about 30 minutes north of Florida.

Old 03-28-2008, 02:23 PM
lotsie
Banned
Hey.. I bet I've spent over $400 on detailing tools and supplies - I take care of my paint. But it's a lot for someone to get into. Most non "car people" I know never wax their cars. So even just using decent soap and waxing a few times a year is better than nothing. And having a professional do it once in a while will keep it in good shape.
Most non "car people" that get a MINI get the OCD bug A lot of them learn how to detail their MINI with the help and info they get from this forum. Most of them learn to to hide how much they spend on it

Mark

Old 03-28-2008, 07:10 PM
misslindsey
5th Gear
Yeah... my boyfriend is going to have a kitten when the box I ordered from DP arrives on Monday... He already flipped over the (much smaller) Zaino box that came yesterday. I'm itchin' for some warmer weather.

Old 03-28-2008, 11:01 PM
RJKimbell
6th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
1st of all Mini*In*Flux RELAX!! Kirky does not have to be the Show Stopper. I think you've come to Newbie Remorse, Kirky will need an occasional bath and given by the one who Loves him the most...YOU!!! You have to take one thing at a time, obviously you already know how to wash a car, right?? Basic supplies are a Good Start...Brands are not much different...just remember NEVER use Armor All on ANYTHING!!!!! Look at what is available at your local store, no need to spend LOTS of $$ if you don't have it. I would definitely recomend the 2 Bucket Method though. I myself don't even have the 2 Buckets or Grit Guards, but I have some time. Molly won't be here for another 2 1/2 Weeks. I have a lot of Detailing tools that I have used on my '01 Durango and my Husband's '99 Blazer (Selling to make room for MOLLY!!), but I've simply built on what I have, you don't have to get everythin ALL AT ONCE. Molly's kit will be entirely different...my Husband bought me a Box w/Wheels and Handle cart from Costco for Molly's Detailing Supplies. I've gotten some Ice Car Wash Gel and Dawn, even my Husband commented that wasn't DAWN bad??!! I used to tell him that it was 'til I read these posts. The best way to detail Kirky is to put ALL the LOVE you have for him into his bath. I'd offer to come help, but being in WA is a bit far from MI. I was born in the UP, but sadly my family moved when I was 2.
Good Luck...if I can help more just PM Me.

Old 03-29-2008, 03:08 AM
umberto
6th Gear
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
also....just want to double check that you know that Dawn should only be used when you are wanting to strip off whatever wax might be on the car if you are wanting to apply new wax or sealant....always use a car shampoo-type car wash soap to wash your car, not a dish soap like Dawn

Old 03-29-2008, 05:23 AM
GonePostalWV
Coordinator :: Country Roads MINIs
Miss Lindsey... about that kitten.

What a coincidence, I have a large order coming from DP on Monday too.

Does this mean we'll get a kitten also ? Or is this just something optional only
for boyfriends?

I thought Heather clarified that the DP "points" didn't really mean anything <g>.

(Good luck waiting on your order... mines sitting at UPS as we speak. I wish
they delivered on weekends like us Postal workers <g>)

Old 03-29-2008, 10:09 AM
RJKimbell
6th Gear
Originally Posted by umberto
also....just want to double check that you know that Dawn should only be used when you are wanting to strip off whatever wax might be on the car if you are wanting to apply new wax or sealant....always use a car shampoo-type car wash soap to wash your car, not a dish soap like Dawn
Roger That!!! Umberto
Also...your MINI's 1st Bath should be with dawn to get off any GUNK left on at the VDC or Dealership...BUT ONLY if you intend to Wax it afterwards.

Old 03-29-2008, 10:27 AM
misslindsey
5th Gear
Originally Posted by GonePostalWV
What a coincidence, I have a large order coming from DP on Monday too.

Does this mean we'll get a kitten also ? Or is this just something optional only
for boyfriends?

I thought Heather clarified that the DP "points" didn't really mean anything <g>.
I'm sure if you had a tightwad boyfriend who flips over $20 worth (or so he thinks..) of antennae *****, you'd get a kitten too.

Old 03-29-2008, 10:54 AM
Mini*In*Flux
3rd Gear
I should be well supplied, I ordered a super bundle from DP (with Black Wow) and I have buckets, gritguards, 303, brushes for the wheels/tires and a 12-speed hose head.

What I am missing is a PC which seems to be a necessity but I am having nightmares of putting huge gauges in the car which brings me to my next fear. Since I will not able to polish, will Dawn strip the wax and make Kirky's finish super dull?

It's a vicious, vicious circle...

Old 03-29-2008, 11:00 AM
RJKimbell
6th Gear
Mini*In*Flux...I too will NOT use a PC...for the same reason. I have always done my detailing by HAND. Remember hand waxing is just fine, but do NOT use Dawn unless you can Hand Wax immediately after you have TOTALLY cleaned your MINI, wash/clay/BW/Wax or what ever other processes you want to throw in.

WE will be expecting pics. of the finished product. I'll post mine once Molly arrives and I have a clear weekend to give her her 1st Bath!!

Old 03-29-2008, 11:04 AM
lotsie
Banned
Like RJKimbell said, only do a dawn wash if you are going to wax right away. The dawn will not make the finish dull, but it will not feel very slick, almost sticky when you run your hand over it.

You can polish by hand, just takes some real elbow grease, a PC makes it much faster/easier. You would really have to go out of your way to harm your paint finish with a PC.

Mark

Quick Reply: Three Degrees & I Can't Figure Out How to Wash my MINI - Please help!!!!