DC Metro MINIs (Archive) The old DC Metro MINIs club forum, now closed. Visit their new forums at www.dcmetrominis.org/forums

OT: Visiting DC, looking for ideas

Search this Thread

Old 04-17-2006, 06:38 PM
Rocketboy_X
6th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
OT: Visiting DC, looking for ideas

Hello from the http://miniclubofwny.activeboard.com. I have a non-MINI related question for you. My wife and I are heading out to DC in a few weeks, and I was wondering some of you locals would suggest that we go do. We are mainly going out to check out the Freer & the Sackler Gallery. We are staying on 14th street, a bit north of the White House. I'm desperate for Ideas because my wife is expecting me to figure it all out .

Erik...

Old 04-17-2006, 07:06 PM
kgdblu
6th Gear
holy cow...there's tons to do. Might I suggest spending time at your local book store, looking at travel books about DC. Get one you like, and a good map of the city and start reading. Highlight what you think you might like to do, and go from there...

Old 04-17-2006, 07:16 PM
Paul!
6th Gear
Ooh, pick up a 'popout' pocket map from any major bookstore before you get here, or immediately after arriving. It has a Metro map, and maps of DC, Old Town Alexandria, and someplace else (Georgetown?). It lists all of the major spots to hit.

And unlike some cities, the 'tourist traps' are something you definitely want to hit while you're here! Just sticking to all of the museums around the DC Mall could keep you busy for weeks, if not months, on end.

Hope this helps a bit!

-Paul!

Old 04-17-2006, 07:19 PM
z3bum
5th Gear
Tons of restaurants in that neighborhood. Try Cafe St. EX, around 14th and S, owned by a guy I know. Also walking around Dupont Circle, Adams Morgan, etc. You can take metro to King Street and Old Town Alexandria (where I live) to shops, more restaurants and some neat historic towns.

Hope this helps!

Originally Posted by Rocketboy_X
Hello from the http://miniclubofwny.activeboard.com. I have a non-MINI related question for you. My wife and I are heading out to DC in a few weeks, and I was wondering some of you locals would suggest that we go do. We are mainly going out to check out the Freer & the Sackler Gallery. We are staying on 14th street, a bit north of the White House. I'm desperate for Ideas because my wife is expecting me to figure it all out .

Erik...

Old 04-18-2006, 05:02 AM
Wagnbat
6th Gear
Spy museum, Air & Space Museum, Capital, Mall, Monuments.... Georgetown, Adams Morgan, Dupont Circle... National Zoo, Arlington Cemetary, Capitol Hill, Botanical gardens, La Enfant plaza...

So much to do, never enough time to do it.

Old 04-18-2006, 05:23 AM
MINInurse
Nationally Known Nurse
If you go to the Capitol, ask for a guy named Mike. Jaysen knows him and he is one of the most knowledgeable tourist guides there.

Old 04-18-2006, 05:33 AM
Jen
6th Gear
The Freer and Sackler are my two favorite museums on the Mall. Very peaceful, rarely if ever crowded and very few kids running about. The Sackler has a good Asian themed gift shop. They connect underground the the Africian Art museum and the S Dillon Ripley Center. The gardens behind the Castle there are a nice spot to unwind or take a picnic lunch.

I also like to visit the National Galleries (East and West) because they are free (all the Smithsonian is) so you don't feel guilty about popping in to just see a few paintings and then dashing out. There is a major exhibit on Dadaism there now.

Come to Georgetown for a shopping visit and to eat dinner.

The 14th Street area is hopping right now. The Post just did a thing two Sundays ago about the great shopping in that area too.

You may also want to check out the U Street district, which is undergoing an urban renewal right now. Good ethnic restaurants and unique shopping.

Avoid driving in town. Take Metro or the new Circulator busses.

This is a good time of year to come across the river and see Arlington Cemetary too!

And, of course, you should let us know your schedule to see if some DCMM members can meet up with you guys one night for drinks.

Old 04-18-2006, 05:48 AM
planeguy
6th Gear
National Cathedral is also an intresting and amazing place to visit

Old 04-18-2006, 06:06 AM
SpencerAndMe
1st Gear
You are staying almost on top of the Renwick Gallery, which is rarely crowded and usually has some good exhibits. I think they have a Grant Wood exhibit running at the moment.

Old 04-19-2006, 05:14 AM
JustDandy
4th Gear
Unusual things to do

Here's some ideas that might interest you:

Scandal Tours - http://www.gnpcomedy.com/ScandalTours.html . Every Saturday at 1pm. Hop aboard Scandal Tours® for a witty & irreverent guided tour of the sites that have made Washington the scandal capital of the world. Scandal Tours® is hosted by the critically acclaimed comedy troupe, Gross National Product® (GNP), who lampoon the highlights of the lowlifes as you roll by Washington's "comic monuments!"

Natalie Zanin's Historic Strolls - this one happens monthly. http://www.historicstrolls.com. WANT THE dirt on old-time Washington? Through interactive theatrical tours, Natalie Zanin's Historic Strolls takes families back to the days of mud-mired streets and a domeless Capitol. Encounter multiple characters along the tour.

City Segway Tours - daily, multiple times. http://www.citsegwaytours.com/washington/
As you cruise through the Nation's Capital, past the monuments, White House and American icons, you will receive a great orientation, informative historical and current-day information, heaps of unique and fascinating stories, fantastic photo ops and superb personal service from your guide. The Segway is the first of its kind—a self-balancing, personal transportation device that's designed to operate in any pedestrian environment. It's new, it's cool and a ton of fun!

Bike the Sites - daily, multiple times. http://www.bikethesites.com. Bike the Sites offers visitors a fresh way to explore the city. Join one of our guided tours or rent a bike for the day - it's fun for all ages! The FunCycle has landed in DC. Join us on a guided ride on this 7-seater fun cycle for a truly unique experience. As Dr. Seuss would say, you'll have lots of good fun that is funny!.

I hope these suggestions help. Also, if you're going to Annapolis, MD (which I'd recommend for a side trip - only 30 - 45 minutes away), be sure to see http://www.ghostsofannapolis.com. In addition to the ghost tour, check out their haunted pub crawls on Friday and Saturday nights!

John

Old 04-19-2006, 05:27 AM
Wagnbat
6th Gear
Originally Posted by SpencerAndMe
You are staying almost on top of the Renwick Gallery, which is rarely crowded and usually has some good exhibits. I think they have a Grant Wood exhibit running at the moment.
Renwick is across the street from the Old Executive Office Building and White House as well.

Old 04-19-2006, 05:33 AM
JustDandy
4th Gear
One more to check out - "Murder Upon Request" - http://www.murderuponrequest.com. Murder Upon Request Theatre Company is live participatory theatre. Includes an assortment of crimes featuring murder, theft, extortion and nearly every other vice known to man, or woman. This unique atmosphere offers the opportunity to meet new people as well as match wits with old friends.

Old 04-19-2006, 06:05 AM
Jen
6th Gear
Originally Posted by JustDandy

City Segway Tours - daily, multiple times. http://www.citsegwaytours.com/washington/
As you cruise through the Nation's Capital, past the monuments, White House and American icons, you will receive a great orientation, informative historical and current-day information, heaps of unique and fascinating stories, fantastic photo ops and superb personal service from your guide. The Segway is the first of its kind—a self-balancing, personal transportation device that's designed to operate in any pedestrian environment. It's new, it's cool and a ton of fun!

John
I did this one last summer. It was a lot of fun.

Old 04-21-2006, 12:44 PM
akitadog
1st Gear
Pilot a paddle boat in the Tidal Basin (west of the National Mall) while you're here! Too bad you missed the cherry blossoms in full bloom.

Old 04-21-2006, 01:54 PM
MINInurse
Nationally Known Nurse
Gee...You think we gave them enough to do while they're here!?
Hope you guys have good time! Let us know when you are in town. Always fun to meet up with Mini Family!

Old 04-22-2006, 07:25 AM
Rocketboy_X
6th Gear
Thanks for all the ideas... With only two whole days in the city, and thinking about all of the time that we're going to be spending on the Hokusai exhibit itself, I'm starting to think that I'm not going to have as much time as I origonally thought to see more of the city. I'll probally be doing the Mounments/Smithsonian thing. Of course, I'll still need to eat though... . My wife and I will be arriving in DC on March 5th (Friday), so that would be a perfect day to meet up around dinner time. After an 8hour or so drive, I don't know how much site-seeing I'm going to be intrested in doing..

Erik...

Old 04-22-2006, 07:37 AM
Edge
AdMINIstrator
Originally Posted by Rocketboy_X
My wife and I will be arriving in DC on March 5th (Friday), so that would be a perfect day to meet up around dinner time. After an 8hour or so drive, I don't know how much site-seeing I'm going to be intrested in doing..
March 5th? Are you sure you don't mean May 5th?

If so, keep in mind that is right in the middle of MINIs on the Dragon... a sizeable percentage of our most active membership will be out of town, attending the event. (myself included)

However, I am confident that there will still be some members who can't make it to MOTD that would be happy to meet up with you that evening.

Old 04-23-2006, 03:23 PM
Rocketboy_X
6th Gear
Originally Posted by Edge
March 5th? Are you sure you don't mean May 5th?

If so, keep in mind that is right in the middle of MINIs on the Dragon... a sizeable percentage of our most active membership will be out of town, attending the event. (myself included)

However, I am confident that there will still be some members who can't make it to MOTD that would be happy to meet up with you that evening.
Ummm... ya... May...... I almost forgot that MINIs on the Dragon was the same weekend...

Erik...