DC Metro MINIs (Archive) The old DC Metro MINIs club forum, now closed. Visit their new forums at www.dcmetrominis.org/forums

TOWSON Service

Search this Thread

Old 04-05-2006, 01:45 PM
chows4us
6th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
TOWSON Service

I know a lot of the active members go to Tate or maybe MOS so I thought I would relate this ...

Today I went for a one year Oil Change (NOT the first 10,000 miles service because we ain't got 10,000 miles yet). I got to say ...

Service was impeccable.

Last edited by chows4us; 02-28-2009 at 09:19 AM.
Old 04-05-2006, 01:56 PM
Greatbear
Moderator :: Performance Mods
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
If it were possible to buy a car through the service department, Towson would be just about perfect.

Old 04-06-2006, 03:12 AM
-=Mike=-
2nd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Greatbear
If it were possible to buy a car through the service department, Towson would be just about perfect.
I completely agree with that!!! Three years ago when I was looking to order my MC, we went to Towson and were completely ignored by the sales staff. Being a Fri PM, it was not overly busy, so no excuse there. We stood on the lot looking for someone; nothing. We went into the showroom where some people (who looked like sales staff) were BSing, and nothing. I've heard of laid back sales, but I think we'd have had to set something on fire to get anyone’s attention. I wound up buying from Tate.

The Towson service dept is the complete opposite of the sales office. Friendly, attentive, and efficient. They have corrected problems on the first repair (unlike Tate Service) and I never get an argument whether something is covered under warranty, they just make it right. And often as not, when I get a loaner from them, its a MINI. I hope they keep up the great service.

Old 04-06-2006, 03:59 AM
mdsbrain
OVERDRIVE
Sounds nice. Tate has a pathedic coach, a few square blocks for kids and a plasma tv with satellite. Its part of the showroom and just a few feet from the SA's desk. I only like this because I can sit and stare @ the SA while I wait for my car...lol

Now even 10k Yet? Art, drive the thing! haha

Old 04-07-2006, 08:14 PM
justbob
2nd Gear
If you want to talk about service, how about this:

1. Made an appointment the day before for warranty service and a few fixes.Not a problem, they asked me if I wanted a loaner. I said yes.

2. Drove in the next morning on time, was met at my car, a few minutes of paperwork, had a bagel and a nice cup of coffe, and a young lady came and found me to ask if I was ready for my loaner. I said yes.

3. Young lady filled out a few seconds of paperwork, asked to see my license, look at if intently for a few more seconds and then told me my license was expired and that I couldn't have a loaner. She then asked me if I wanted a ride to the MVA to renew my license. I said yes.

4. Had another cup of coffee, a young man came and found me, asked if I needed a ride to the MVA. I said yes.

5. Got to the MVA, jumped out of the BMW M-5, and told the driver--one of the garage staff--that I'd find my way back to MINI. He asked me if I wanted him to wait at the curb form me. I said yes.

6. Got a new license (by the way, the MVA almost approached MINI in it's level of efficiency--SHOCK--it took about 7 minutes), went outside, went back to MINI (thankd driver profusely), went inside, and was told by the young lady, "we're all out of MINI loaners can you drive a BMW 330i?" I said yes.

7. Later that day, when I picked up my MCS, my maintenance rep. (who will remain unnamed) asked me if I'd fill out a customer satisfaction survey. I said no.

Instead, I wrote a letter to the owner of BMW/MINI Towson and the president of the company, naming everyone involved.

And if you're reading this, thanks again.

Old 04-07-2006, 09:30 PM
protoculture
3rd Gear
I've posted before about them, but they rock at Towson. Jeff, Dewayne, and everyone I've had the pleasure of dealing with at Towson's service have always treated me exceptionally well.

Jeff actually suggested the lightweight-flywheel/clutch/LSD when I complained of a squeaky flywheel, and though it took a couple of trips back to fix some mistakes, they were very professional throughout the whole thing.

Can't say enough good things about them: Highly recommended if it's not too far for you. Or even if it is. I know another DC-area MCSer who travels to Towson from Sterling VA--has anyone ever heard of someone doing that for Tate (or Sterling, for that matter?).

Old 04-07-2006, 10:33 PM
Sam
4th Gear
german company standards

Originally Posted by protoculture
I've posted before about them, but they rock at Towson. Jeff, Dewayne, and everyone I've had the pleasure of dealing with at Towson's service have always treated me exceptionally well.

Jeff actually suggested the lightweight-flywheel/clutch/LSD when I complained of a squeaky flywheel, and though it took a couple of trips back to fix some mistakes, they were very professional throughout the whole thing.

Can't say enough good things about them: Highly recommended if it's not too far for you. Or even if it is. I know another DC-area MCSer who travels to Towson from Sterling VA--has anyone ever heard of someone doing that for Tate (or Sterling, for that matter?).
This is exactly how MINI service is supposed to handle customers. Some dealers get it - some don't. MINI/BMW NA looks very closely at the the customer satisfaction surveys - anything less than perfect is not acceptable. I've always been treated in a similar manner at Sterling. (I've always been treated in a similar manner when traveling in Germany) I'm sure there are consequences for not meeting the high standards set by BMW/AG -we are just not privy to the details. Having dealt with German companies I am sure that MINI/BMW dealerships are bound by strict non-disclosures - so we will probably never know. I can say with a high degree of certainty that this thread will be reviewed by MINIUSA - and a zone manager will get a summary. Towson gets it. MINI of Sterling does too. BMW AG won't be happy until each dealership (sales/service/parts) gets it right every time. Anything less is inexcusable.

Old 04-08-2006, 08:07 AM
chows4us
6th Gear
Originally Posted by justbob
"we're all out of MINI loaners can you drive a BMW 330i?" I said yes.
That is amazing ... they went way out of the way for you. Excellent.

BTW, the one time I needed a rental from them it was a 330i for a night. Really didn't like it because it felt HUGE, like driving a boat on the beltway. The spooky part was in the morning driving to work in the dark, just walked out the front door and all the lights inside the car went on ... "Whoa" whats with that?

Protoculture ... Towson ALWAYS pushes to sell their lightweight flywheels (MINIMANIA). Everytime I've been in there, well Wayne at least, used to mention it.

I know another DC-area MCSer who travels to Towson from Sterling VA--has anyone ever heard of someone doing that for Tate (or Sterling, for that matter?).

Actually, yes. Towson service may be great but their parts department is tied to MiniMania. I ordered new brakes and was repeatedly told they were out of stock. MOS was the supplier for Roadfly ... prices mostly equal to Classic ... Herb there is fantasic in parts. They had THREE in stock. So I went there for brakes. While they WILL install aftermarket parts, you got to bring them if they are not MINIMANIA (at least that what someone said last year). On the other hand, one call to MOS and a new aftermarket catback was waiting for me so they did the work. So yeah, their SERVICE IS EXCELLENT but parts is not so willing to order other than MiniMania.

MOS waiting area is part of the BMW showroom. Albeit they do have a HDTV, its kind of noisy, way too many people coming and going ... Towson waiting area is MUCH nicer and has those two comps.... Towson does Rock.

Old 04-08-2006, 10:30 AM
justbob
2nd Gear
Originally Posted by chows4us
BTW, the one time I needed a rental from them it was a 330i for a night. Really didn't like it because it felt HUGE, like driving a boat on the beltway. The spooky part was in the morning driving to work in the dark, just walked out the front door and all the lights inside the car went on ... "Whoa" whats with that?
Yea, really, the 330i made me feel like I was driving my Mother's car! Huge, wobbly, not particularly responsive, good for going to church on Sunday! I guess it's all relative, though, it was comfortable in a straight line. Nice fit and finish.

I did notice that other drivers treated me differently, e.g., in my MCS, people seem to be happy to let me merge onto the highway; in the BMW, several people actively tried to cut me off!

Old 04-08-2006, 11:09 AM
protoculture
3rd Gear
Protoculture ... Towson ALWAYS pushes to sell their lightweight flywheels (MINIMANIA). Everytime I've been in there, well Wayne at least, used to mention it.
Hm. Peculiar, because they didn't blink when I mentioned I'd be buying an RPS (M7) LW/FW, SPEC Clutch, Quaife LSD and Alta SS [all purchased at JSCSpeed, save the FW, purchased direct from Peter @ M7.

I paid way less than typical srp on the JSC stuff, btw. They are a great vendor, and I didn't mind lugging it in myself. With an exhaust though... yeah, that could be irritating.

Anyway, the most they "pushed" was to mention that they could order it for me if I didn't have a brand in mind already. Had no idea they used MiniMania at all, though now that you mention it, I impulse-bought an Ultrik shorty antenna from them, and I know MM is big on that brand. Still, it's never come up in any of my service visits (we're a two MCS household, so I'm there more than most).

Old 04-08-2006, 11:32 AM
chows4us
6th Gear
Hm. Peculiar, because they didn't blink when I mentioned I'd be buying an RPS (M7) LW/FW, SPEC Clutch, Quaife LSD and Alta SS [all purchased at JSCSpeed, save the FW, purchased direct from Peter @ M7.
I didn't say they minded other stuff, only that their parts dept would only order MiniMania. They did say "bring in an exhaust" and they would install it but thats a real pain to do that.

Old 04-08-2006, 04:01 PM
protoculture
3rd Gear
You said "Towson ALWAYS pushes to sell their lightweight flywheels." I'm not saying anything about whether they minded the "other stuff," only that they didn't push a part on me. They suggested a lw/fw as a performance replacement for the OEM unit.

Old 04-08-2006, 04:06 PM
chows4us
6th Gear
You said "Towson ALWAYS pushes to sell their lightweight flywheels." I'm not saying anything about whether they minded the "other stuff," only that they didn't push a part on me. They suggested a lw/fw as a performance replacement for the OEM unit.
OK, I said have said ... they push the lightweight flywheel if you asking about increasing performance ... in my experience.

Old 04-08-2006, 07:45 PM
sprp85
6th Gear
i was treated completely opposite.

1. I had to wait 4 hours to get my first service done + get a rattle fixed (which they knew where it was exactly,) I got there early in the morning with giving them a call day ahead.

2. When my service was done, (i saw my mini got back from all the service and etc., parked in their service department lobby) SA left me hanging around for another 30 minutes. I HAD TO WALK UP TO HIM to get my dam key back

3. Im not 21 so they could not loan me any loaner. Plus they did not suggest any ride to any places so I couldn't go to work taht day. (maybe I am stupid for not asking but I had no clue they did any service like that)

Maybe I look younger than my actualy age (20) or maybe because I am Asian,

I felt really left out plus very annoyed at how SA treated me.

OH and I went there a few weeks ago for a quick OBD2 code reading / to clear the code, SA said he can't do it unless I drop my car off for the rest of the day because it takes 40-45 minutes JUST TO READ THE CODE. LOL?

Old 04-08-2006, 08:50 PM
willimini
2nd Gear
[...] Towson service may be great but their parts department is tied to MiniMania. I ordered new brakes and was repeatedly told they were out of stock. MOS was the supplier for Roadfly ... prices mostly equal to Classic ... Herb there is fantasic in parts. They had THREE in stock. So I went there for brakes. While they WILL install aftermarket parts, you got to bring them if they are not MINIMANIA (at least that what someone said last year). On the other hand, one call to MOS and a new aftermarket catback was waiting for me so they did the work. So yeah, their SERVICE IS EXCELLENT but parts is not so willing to order other than MiniMania.....Towson does Rock.
Mini Mania has a great warranty, for the life of the factory warranty, that covers repair/replacement of factory parts that are damaged by their branded products. Most other vendors that I have seen don't have a warranty nearly as good. I can understand why a MINI dealer would prefer to sell and install only fully-warrantied aftermarket performance products. And, personally, with only 10K miles on my '05 MCS, vendor warranties are very important to me. (This is not to say that other vendors don't have good products -- only that other vendor warranties usually aren't as good as Mini Mania's)

I can compare Towson and Sterling. I have purchased several performance parts (head, cam, other stuff) from both of them. Sterling wasn't close to comparable to Towson in how well they did their job. Towson knew exactly what the warranty for the parts was, and Towson service has worked with the vendor to enforce it in one case already. Sterling (as a matter of fact, Herb, and others) didn't know the warranties, got them wrong, and then later denied what they had told me and my wife. In my experience, Towson is open and accurate about the parts that they sell. Sterling wasn't either of those when I purchased from them.

With regard to service, Sterling made several serious mistakes when they installed the performance parts that they sold me. I ended up taking the car to Towson and to a couple of good, local shops, to have it fixed. So far as I know, Towson has never goofed a performance install or a repair on my car.

I don't dispute anyone's good experience at Sterling, or at any other dealer. With all dealers, some customers will be treated well and will like them, and some customers won't be treated well, and will have cause not to like them. Based on my own experience, I won't let Sterling work on my car. I drive to Towson from Fairfax. It's 60 miles farther to drive, but I don't wonder and worry afterward.

Old 04-09-2006, 08:26 AM
chows4us
6th Gear
Originally Posted by willimini
Mini Mania has a great warranty, for the life of the factory warranty, that covers repair/replacement of factory parts that are damaged by their branded products.

I can compare Towson and Sterling. I have purchased several performance parts (head, cam, other stuff) from both of them. Sterling wasn't close to comparable to Towson in how well they did their job.
What head/cam did you buy and have Sterling install? Chip?

Yes, MiniMania has a good warranty. When I bought the car, Towson was pushing to sell their stage (whatever) kits and would back the warranty. However ... my reasoning was thats all well and fine except what if you have trouble out of state? We had been traveling around the country alot ... Towson would be nowhere around. Same with Webb which also has a good warranty but where do you go for repairs (especially on vacation)?

The parts issue I had with MiniMania was Towson parts, at the time, was having a "problem" with MM ... something about billing and would not order anything from them for a time. I wanted a Borla exhaust. Parts said that Borla was not going to make them anymore for MINIs ... Not true. The SA said to go buy one and bring it in. Not going to happen, too bulky. Herb just laughed and got me one immediately. I dont know whats going on with their parts dept.. Service, though is Excellent ... we both agree.

MOS is also swamped with work. Usually have to make an appt. They say the BMW service is even farther behind. Seems like they cant get enuff mechanics although I got to say they went out of their way for me ... bringing in the MINI regional rep to work on an issue.

SPRP ... did you buy your car from Towson? If so, they should NOT have treated you like that.

The fact that your under 21 and cant rent a car has nothing to do with Towson ...

Old 04-09-2006, 08:49 AM
J0kER
6th Gear
hey protoculture, how ya doin' ,hows tha MINI runnin'???

im in VA and will gladly drive out to the other side of tha beltway to TOWSON b4 STERLING
i've had nothin' but great werk done at Towson, cant say tha same fer Sterling i never recommend them fer anythin' to anyone!!
they jus dont cut it.
oh and btw, they say they are mod friendly they are not, dont be fooled

Old 04-09-2006, 09:38 AM
willimini
2nd Gear
What head/cam did you buy and have Sterling install? Chip?

Yes, MiniMania has a good warranty. When I bought the car, Towson was pushing to sell their stage (whatever) kits and would back the warranty. However ... my reasoning was thats all well and fine except what if you have trouble out of state? We had been traveling around the country alot ... Towson would be nowhere around. Same with Webb which also has a good warranty but where do you go for repairs (especially on vacation)?....
The head that Sterling put on my car was from a small vendor with a very limited warranty. I don't want to name the aftermarket vendor in this thread, because the head seemed really good and the vendor product wasn't the problem -- the problem was that Sterling put on a part with a very limited warranty after telling us before we ordered that it came with a full warranty. Sterling also put in a Schrick cam. Same problem.

I had both the head and cam replaced by Towson with a Mini Mania Stage 2 head and the same Schrick cam, except from Mini Mania, to get the Mini Mania warranty.

The chip that Sterling installed was Evotech. Once again, Sterling promised a full warranty and didn't deliver. Towson replaced the chip with the same Evotech software from Mini Mania, once again to get the Mini Mania warranty.

It's my understanding that any Mini Mania authorized installer (which includes some MINI dealers like Towson) anywhere in the US will do repair/replacement work under the Mini Mania warranty, at no cost to the owner.

When my wife and I ordered our new '05 MCS, WILLI, in '04 it was critical to us that the car add significant power above stock. One of our requirements was for enough horsepower to achieve 0-60 times in the 5's (although I don't compete the car). Another requirement was for full warranty coverage. Sterling promised both, but didn't deliver. I do think we have met both requirements now. If I had it to do again I would go straight to Towson from the beginning. (By the way, just so I don't confuse anyone, WILLI also has an aftermarket pulley, cold air intake, bigger throttle body, exhaust header, cat-back exhaust, and some other stuff. It all contributes to the higher performance.)

Old 04-09-2006, 09:46 AM
protoculture
3rd Gear
Hola Joker! Doin' good man. Had the same issue w/the oil loss after I saw you there and had it flatbedded back the next day: They had kinked one of the catch-can lines, and it was just throwing major pressure into the system. So they put me in a ragtop MCS, kept the car there about a week, completely reaccomplished the work, resealed everything, and it's all good now.

How's yours? How's bizness out in Old Town?

Old 04-09-2006, 03:41 PM
sprp85
6th Gear
I do understand that they cannot loan me any car because I am underage but at least they should have asked me for a ride to work or something (Baltimore..)

And yes I did buy my car at Towson..

Old 04-09-2006, 08:52 PM
J0kER
6th Gear
waaat...

Hola Joker! Doin' good man. Had the same issue w/the oil loss after I saw you there and had it flatbedded back the next day: They had kinked one of the catch-can lines, and it was just throwing major pressure into the system. So they put me in a ragtop MCS, kept the car there about a week, completely reaccomplished the work, resealed everything, and it's all good now.

How's yours? How's bizness out in Old Town?
oh man, sorry to hear that!
i bet it now hauls *** tho!!
mine is goin' in fer software at 'PitStop' next week mayb
biz is good u know, thx. fer askin'

Old 04-10-2006, 12:58 AM
protoculture
3rd Gear
Pit Stop? What/where is that? Still need the OBD cable?

Old 04-10-2006, 06:17 PM
J0kER
6th Gear
Pit Stop? What/where is that? Still need the OBD cable?
pitStop is a Porsche tuner in alexandria, wuz thinkin' on gettin' Minh(owner) to 'custom tune' my ride... are u still happy w/mth? im in a bind on who to use!!
PM sent

Old 04-11-2006, 05:00 AM
protoculture
3rd Gear
I loved the MTH, but if you know a guy, that's always easy too. Sent you a PM.

Old 04-12-2006, 04:55 PM
justbob
2nd Gear
Originally Posted by sprp85
I do understand that they cannot loan me any car because I am underage but at least they should have asked me for a ride to work or something (Baltimore..)

And yes I did buy my car at Towson..
Sorry to hear that. I've been living overseas for a long time, and I notice that my daughters were treated as adults in Australia and Europe at 16-17 years of age, working as certified welders and bartenders (when they turned 18). Coming back to the states was a downer for them as everyone started treated them like children, and they're definitely not that.

So, I think you're suffering from the Cult of the Teenager here in the US of A, and been hit with some reverse-ageism, no matter how mature you are personally. Don't worry, it gets better.