D Stock Rattle After Koni DA install

Search this Thread

Old 02-18-2007, 02:58 PM
trick
3rd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Rattle After Koni DA install

So, I've just realized that since the shocks were put on the car I've got some extra sound coming from the right rear. It's pretty consistant over stuff like like potholes, but seems to be hit or miss off the left rear wheel.

Pulled the right rear wheel and and everything looks right. (It was torqued to spec so I know it wasn't a loose lug and I would have felt that in the handling.)

No odd wear points on what I could see. Everything appeared to be nice and tight. Adjusted the rears to one click off full soft (assuming "Heavy" is firm) and moved the fronts to a half turn from full soft and went out and enjoyed the understeer.

Not a lot of clearance for that adjuster.

At first it sounded like I had something loose in the hatch. Or maybe the privacy panel bouncing a bit in its hinge. Pulled the panel out and checked the light access on the right hand side and didn't see anything noticeable. Checked the battery. Everything as it should be.

Came home. Parked the car. Noticed the exhaust (Milltek catback) had slid a bit to the right of center in the valence. Wondering if that's the culprit, but it's not a very metallic sound.

Maybe with the stiffer shocks it's getting the rear seatback or something to move a bit? Or just transmitting more road noise? I could probably get it back into the shop to have it checked, but was wondering if any one here with the same shocks had experienced anything similar.

Old 02-20-2007, 12:12 PM
Montana Miniac
2nd Gear
Your not alone. I have the rattle too after installing Koni "Sports" last season. Thought at first it might be a loose right rear shock, but everything is tight. No handling issues, just a slight rattle. Perhaps it is the shock itself. Searching for the answer.

Old 02-20-2007, 12:28 PM
yumhaggis
4th Gear
This is a very common problem, mine did the very same thing & I was led to believe it's because the shaft that comes through to top strut mount is larger then the hole it must pass through, so you have to drill it out some. If it rattles afterwards you shim it with some washers which is what I did & rattle gone. crank them down good & tight too.

Old 02-20-2007, 02:55 PM
Montana Miniac
2nd Gear
Thanks. The mount hole being the culprit would make sense. Easy fix to a annoying problem.

Old 02-21-2007, 10:30 AM
trick
3rd Gear
Thanks Yum. Don't have time to get to it now, but when I get back from Georgia will do.

Old 03-03-2007, 11:41 AM
DaveMini
1st Gear
I know that driving around on what passes for roads here in the Peoples Republic of Ohio causes "Loose Nut Syndrome" or LNS. It seems like I have to drop the rear struts out every coupla months to tighten the big nut on top of the shock. Not sure what the torque should be, but I'm cranking the hell out of it. Anyone use "locktite" or use another nut to lock it down?

Old 03-03-2007, 09:26 PM
mitchman
5th Gear
Doesn't the shaft spin when you tighten the big nut? (that sounded a little weird...sorry).

Most people just zap it with an impact gun. I wouldn't go crazy with it though. It can't be too good to spin the shaft too much.

The impact gun has always worked for me. (on many other cars and now the Mini.....although we have Leda's not Konis)

Old 03-04-2007, 07:47 AM
DaveMini
1st Gear
I grip the shaft (geez, I feel dirty) with a large channel-lock pliers, with the jaws padded with sections of a bicycle tire to protect it from scratches.

Old 03-04-2007, 07:50 AM
mitchman
5th Gear
Hahaha! That should work well. Good idea! But I would still have someone zap them with an impact wrench just to be sure. You can do the fronts while they are still on the car. You'll have to remove the rears....but they are easy to remove.