D Stock GP in BS?

Search this Thread

Old 01-24-2007, 06:28 PM
dave
pug poo picker-upper
Received 30 Likes on 18 Posts
GP in BS?

I remember seeing a while back that there was a petition to get the GP into BS, did anything come of that yet, and if not, where would a GP fall classing wise?

Old 01-24-2007, 11:08 PM
OasisT
6th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Not sure on the classing, but, I would guess the GP would not even be as good as a standard JCW Mini in BS due to the 18" wheels. Heck, not even sure if you could fit any race rubber under a GP in 18".

Old 01-25-2007, 06:03 AM
dave
pug poo picker-upper
Maybe STX would be a better place for the GP? That would at least put the race rubber issue to the side.

Lacking any official word, what would you think a "safe" class would be (SM ) ?

EDIT: originally suggested STU instead of STX

Old 01-25-2007, 06:24 AM
rubyred3
4th Gear
JCW cars are eligible for STX also, so I'm assuming it'd be STX eligible as well, unless you see a specific exemption that places the GP in STU (alla mitsu evo or M3, which I don't see for the mini BP), I'd run in STX. . .

Old 01-25-2007, 06:46 AM
dave
pug poo picker-upper
Originally Posted by rubyred3
JCW cars are eligible for STX also, .
I didn't know that. Cool.

I'll edit my post above.

Old 01-25-2007, 07:56 AM
OasisT
6th Gear
One thing I wonder about, they only imported 415 of them, would it even be legal in any ST/SP/Stock class? I was thinking 1000 or so was the magic number to be considered for eligibility. I may be mistaken though.

That would be great though if the GP was eligible for STX.

EDIT.......
I just checked the rules, and, the 1000 quantity applies to stock class, which carries over into ST and SP class I think. I wonder if they will consider the GP just another variation of the MCS and JCW. Hopefully so, I would send a letter to the SEB for clarification to see if they would allow the GP into BS, STX and DSP, otherwise, it looks like SM2 would be the only option at this point I believe.

Old 01-25-2007, 08:05 AM
dave
pug poo picker-upper
Originally Posted by OasisT
One thing I wonder about, they only imported 415 of them, would it even be legal in any ST/SP/Stock class? I was thinking 1000 or so was the magic number to be considered for stock class eligibility. I may be mistaken though.

Good point. Here's the sections regarding the 1000 car number. I didn't find any mention of this in the Street Touring section though.

2007 SCCA Solo Rules (pdf)

Section 13. Stock Category
Cars running in Stock Category must have been series produced with normal road touring equipment capable of being licensed for normal road use in the United States, and normally sold and delivered through the manufacturer’s retail sales outlets in the United States. Car models not specifically listed in any Stock Category class must have been produced, and must meet the above requirements and been sold through normal U.S. dealerships, in quantities of at least 1,000 in a 12- month period in order to be eligible for the Stock Category.

Section 15. Street Prepared
Cars not specifically listed in Stock or Street Prepared Category classes in Appendix A must have been produced in quantities of at least 1000 in a 12 month period to be eligible for Street Prepared Category.
Then again, how many Elises were imported to the U.S. in each calendar year (I don't know).

Seems like Street Mod might be the only class for the GP for now. :(

Old 01-25-2007, 08:09 AM
Motoring
5th Gear
It would only be legal by being specifically classed. There are many examples of low production cars that are specifically classed.

If you want it legal write a letter. I wrote mine to get the car classed in STX, haven't heard anything.

Old 01-25-2007, 08:12 AM
dave
pug poo picker-upper
Originally Posted by Motoring
If you want it legal write a letter. I wrote mine to get the car classed in STX, haven't heard anything.
Good. I remember that someone had started the process, but I couldn't remember who or what class.

I don't have a GP, but I do have a few friends that do, so the issue is more just trying to figure out how to help them have a class to autocross in for now.

Old 01-25-2007, 08:15 AM
OasisT
6th Gear
I wrote a letter to have the GP put on the same line in DSP as the JCW and MCS, therefore, I could put GP parts on my JCW(if I don't sell it) if I happen to run full bore DSP some day. That would be a nice help, so, hopefully everyone will write a letter. :-) I'll also write a quick letter to ask that they add it to the STX list as well, I don't think it would be an overdog by any means, so, I see no reason why they would not add it. Heck, I might just have to convert mine if I keep it. :-)

Old 02-02-2007, 04:30 PM
Gromit801
6th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I wrote a letter to have the GP put on the same line in DSP as the JCW and MCS, therefore, I could put GP parts on my JCW(if I don't sell it) if I happen to run full bore DSP some day. That would be a nice help, so, hopefully everyone will write a letter. :-) I'll also write a quick letter to ask that they add it to the STX list as well, I don't think it would be an overdog by any means, so, I see no reason why they would not add it. Heck, I might just have to convert mine if I keep it. :-)
Good luck getting GP parts if you don't own a GP. Mini is keeping those tight.

Old 02-02-2007, 07:48 PM
ScottRiqui
OVERDRIVE
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
One thing I wonder about, they only imported 415 of them, would it even be legal in any ST/SP/Stock class? I was thinking 1000 or so was the magic number to be considered for eligibility. I may be mistaken though.

EDIT.......
I just checked the rules, and, the 1000 quantity applies to stock class, which carries over into ST and SP class I think. I wonder if they will consider the GP just another variation of the MCS and JCW. Hopefully so, I would send a letter to the SEB for clarification to see if they would allow the GP into BS, STX and DSP, otherwise, it looks like SM2 would be the only option at this point I believe.
Just my two cents' worth, but I don't think the 1000-unit limit should come into play. As I see it, the GP is just another option package on the 'S', like the JCW package. If I'm not mistaken, the VIN on a GP even identifies it as an 'S' hardtop (fifth digit is 'E'), rather than using some new-for-the-GP letter code.

I don't know if the fact that the GP is a two-seater from the factory will change things, though.

Old 02-02-2007, 09:01 PM
OasisT
6th Gear
Originally Posted by Gromit801
Good luck getting GP parts if you don't own a GP. Mini is keeping those tight.
No problemo, I have that easily covered. I think that might be a myth made up by someone with a GP, either that, or, I got lucky on my first attempt.

Old 02-02-2007, 09:03 PM
OasisT
6th Gear
Originally Posted by riquiscott
Just my two cents' worth, but I don't think the 1000-unit limit should come into play. As I see it, the GP is just another option package on the 'S', like the JCW package. If I'm not mistaken, the VIN on a GP even identifies it as an 'S' hardtop (fifth digit is 'E'), rather than using some new-for-the-GP letter code.

I don't know if the fact that the GP is a two-seater from the factory will change things, though.
I hope you right.

Old 02-03-2007, 09:41 AM
Gromit801
6th Gear
Originally Posted by riquiscott

The precident was set when SCCA seperated the JCW's from the S. I suspect the GP will be seperated out from the JCW too.

Old 02-03-2007, 09:52 AM
ScottRiqui
OVERDRIVE
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
The precident was set when SCCA seperated the JCW's from the S. I suspect the GP will be seperated out from the JCW too.
I agree that the GP will be likely be classed differently than either the 'S' or the JCW, but I was talking more about the "1000-unit minimum" issue. Did the SCCA actually verify that there were at least 1000 JCW kits factory-installed in 2006? I doubt it - they probably just consider the JCW to be another option package on the 'S', so the JCW cars don't have to satisfy the 1000-unit minimum all on their own.

Likewise, if they consider the GP as another option package on the 'S', they shouldn't worry about the fact that there weren't 1000 of them imported.

Old 02-03-2007, 12:12 PM
Gromit801
6th Gear
Hard to tell with those guys. But I would wager that there were at least 1000 factory JCW's built and sold in the U.S.

All it's going to take, are some snivling drivers griping about GP's being in B-Stock, and it'll hit the fan. There's no shortage of whiners in SCCA.

Old 02-04-2007, 09:08 PM
OasisT
6th Gear
Hard to tell with those guys. But I would wager that there were at least 1000 factory JCW's built and sold in the U.S.

All it's going to take, are some snivling drivers griping about GP's being in B-Stock, and it'll hit the fan. There's no shortage of whiners in SCCA.
If someone put forth the efforts to get it classed in BS and succeeded, I really doubt anyone would complain if they did place it there. My reasoning is because, unfortunately, the GP wouldn't even be able to hang with the JCW, and, the JCW is clearly outgunned by the 350Z and RX-8, so, therefore, most competitors wouldn't even care. Now, if it went to DS and dominated, then I can pretty much guarantee that some noise would be made. :-)

Old 02-05-2007, 06:10 AM
MINI_xs
1st Gear
Per 2006 season rules for Street Touring, "Vehicles eligible for this category must meet the Stock category eligibility requirements, and include all coupes/sedans with a minimum of four seats and four seat belts,..."

As the GP has less than four seats it seems to me like it probably won't be classed in STX.

Last edited by MINI_xs; 02-05-2007 at 06:10 AM. Reason: font characters
Old 02-05-2007, 08:33 AM
Gromit801
6th Gear
If someone put forth the efforts to get it classed in BS and succeeded, I really doubt anyone would complain if they did place it there. My reasoning is because, unfortunately, the GP wouldn't even be able to hang with the JCW, and, the JCW is clearly outgunned by the 350Z and RX-8, so, therefore, most competitors wouldn't even care. Now, if it went to DS and dominated, then I can pretty much guarantee that some noise would be made. :-)
I haven't been able to make a direct comparison of the JCW with the 350Z and RX8 in B-Stock. Anyone else able to or have seen it yet?

Old 02-06-2007, 02:00 PM
OasisT
6th Gear
I haven't been able to make a direct comparison of the JCW with the 350Z and RX8 in B-Stock. Anyone else able to or have seen it yet?
The GP is stuck with 18's. Honestly, I hate to say it, but, there is no comparison needed. It would get slaughtered in BS Nationally, which, is what classing is based on. Now, if the GP would have come with 15x7.5's and camber plates, well, then, it'd have a chance. :-)

Old 02-06-2007, 03:07 PM
mitchman
5th Gear
I think it would do fine locally though.

Heck I had the second fastest raw FTD at our January events. And our car isn't a JCW (just a standard MCS).

But nationally.......good luck.

Old 02-06-2007, 03:41 PM
OasisT
6th Gear
Originally Posted by mitchman
I think it would do fine locally though.

Heck I had the second fastest raw FTD at our January events. And our car isn't a JCW (just a standard MCS).
Absolutely! I'm sure it would do well in most regions locally. Driver dependant of course.

Old 02-25-2007, 01:54 PM
minihune
OVERDRIVE - Racing Champion
Received 67 Likes on 65 Posts
See
https://www.northamericanmotoring.co...ad.php?t=92733

GP falls into DSP based on March 2007 SCCA FasTrak.

Last edited by minihune; 02-25-2007 at 01:57 PM.
Old 02-25-2007, 02:51 PM
90STX
5th Gear
For the record, the fact that it only has 2 seats keeps it out of STX or STU, as well as SM. It would be legal in SM2, but that's a tougher row to hoe than DSP.

Scott
90SM