D Stock Why G?

Search this Thread

Old 07-12-2006, 08:16 PM
RedSkunk
6th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Why G?

Went to my first autox a few weeks ago, just to watch. Going to the next in a few weeks, with the MCS.

But I'm sorta confused why the S is G Stock? A friend with an Impreza was guessing I'd be placed in C or D, and looking at the Solo 2 bit on Tirerack, that makes sense. According to tirerack, G is "Large coupes & sedans"?

And so I look around NAM, and JCWs are B Stock? Huh x2? Why the big jump between the two? Someone explain how cars are classed plz?

Old 07-12-2006, 09:50 PM
JustGo4It_
5th Gear
Cars are classed based on potential performance. Classing isn't always dead on. 2002-2006 S's are in G stock. The 05 & 06 models are faster then previous years because of revised gearing and LSD. They are very close to being D-stock performance. JCW has more horsepower so it was moved to B stock. Jury is out if it will ever make it in that class.

Here is a listing of a stock car classes.
http://www.scca.com/_Filelibrary/Fil...ionsbymake.pdf

Old 07-13-2006, 03:58 AM
Wiggles
4th Gear
Seriously, I wouldn't even try to make sense of the rules and how the SEB decides what goes where. It can drive you crazy. It gets political and in the words of Bob Dillan, Politics is BS. That being said, I think the MCS is right where it belongs. If you want to be competitive in a stock class, don't get a JCW.

Ever since MINI's started racing in September of 1959 there has been controversy. The more things change...

$.02

Old 07-13-2006, 09:23 AM
MattMan
Coordinator :: Minis Under the Arches (Oct 25-28)
I think the "large coupe and sedans" is a dinosaur of class typing that keeps getting rolled over by the SCCA. The last dominate cars for a long time haven't been very large. Before the Mini it was the 01 on Celica, not exactly large. The classes are all about similarity in performance. The club do the best they can to make cars competitive, but they're a lot of cars out there and we can only have so many classes.

Old 07-20-2006, 10:43 AM
RedSkunk
6th Gear
K, that pdf sorta puts me at ease (the bulk of cars seem to be G or H), but still some of the competition in G is silly. I guess I was looking at G as being pretty low on the totem pole. Altho I didn't get a real good look at the competition last time, most people were in STS / STX.

*shrug*

Ten days till next track day!

Old 07-20-2006, 06:10 PM
cmt52663
6th Gear
Received 293 Likes on 222 Posts
Originally Posted by RedSkunk
K, that pdf sorta puts me at ease (the bulk of cars seem to be G or H), but still some of the competition in G is silly. I guess I was looking at G as being pretty low on the totem pole. Altho I didn't get a real good look at the competition last time, most people were in STS / STX.

*shrug*
'round these parts G is a dogfight on R compounds, and STX is a dogfight on street rubber. Pick your dogfight... Both have national caliber drivers and either one can be humbling...

http://ner.org/Solo/results/06/Event6_fin.html#GS
http://ner.org/Solo/results/06/Event6_fin.html#STX