D Stock Power got cut off in long sweepers?

Search this Thread

Old 03-06-2006, 12:10 PM
blipblip
1st Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Power got cut off in long sweepers?

Hi everybody,
This is my first post in this forum. I am so glad the forum has a dedicated place for different class competitors.

Anyways, I got my 06 MCS with LSD last december, and I just autocross it this past Sunday. I have a couple of question with the car, hope you guys can help me with it.

First of all, I didn't have race tires in time so I am running with Hankook RS2 Z212's (225/45/17). I know it's the wrong size but that's what I've got at the time.

So, I had the ASR off. Starting off the line, the car just cannot put the power down. It kept spinning, even with careful cluth, revving at 3K RPM, the fronts won't bite. What is the best way to launch this car?

Another bigger issue, the power got cut off in long sweepers! In my first run, I thought it's the traction control, but I had it turned OFF already! I thought I am imagining things, but another racer drove it, and confirmed it. It even cut off in the slaloms! I had 1/4 of a tank of gas, is that the problem?

Another problem, but that may be my driving style, I just can't seem to power out of the corner without slipping. I know I am suppose to squeeze onto the throttle coming out, but seems to me, the tire slip no matter how gentle I am with the pedal. Isn't the LSD suppose to work in that situation?

Also, does anybody has problem with the initial bite of the brake? I felt that it is too 'soft' compared to my previous autocross car. Will changing to some other brake pad help (like EBC yellow stuff R?)

All in all, I am very happy with the car. It rotates nicely, didn't have much body roll, and turn up pretty good times (4th place finish, and top 3 guys have race tires, and I am only .1 off the slowest of them).

Thanks in advance guys!

Old 03-06-2006, 02:40 PM
falconshadow
1st Gear
yeah that's the problem

Put some gas in the tank. I try to arrive with a half tank. That way the car is balanced the same each time. I've got EBC greens, the stock pads are JUNK!! The greens really bite well and get better with heat. Don't know what to tell you on the launch and tire spinning. Probably cold tires or low pressure or both. It will take some practice to get it right.

Last edited by falconshadow; 03-06-2006 at 02:46 PM. Reason: forgot something
Old 03-06-2006, 05:40 PM
dpayne1
3rd Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Most of the guys here in the DC region that autox their MINIs run them from 1/4 tank of gas to light on (fumes) and none of them have had fuel starvation issues ever. I'd get that checked out if I were you 'cause it sounds like somethings not right

Old 03-06-2006, 06:08 PM
Wiggles
4th Gear
Even with race tires and the LSD, it is very easy to lite up the fronts with just a little squeez of the throttle. I would have the dealer check out the car. I've run with the fuel gauge on empty without a hint of fuel starvation. It really does sound like your ASC is not turned off. Maybe something is wrong with the switch. (indicating that it is turned off when it isn't)

Old 03-06-2006, 07:02 PM
scobib
5th Gear
Agreed - I try and show up with 1/4 tank or less and I've never had any issues with starvation. I assume you're not on the rev limiter, so it sounds like something has gone awry... Can you repeat it on the street? If not, they might have a hard time tracking it down - I wouldn't tell them you've been autocrossing, personally. One of our local dealers has started tracking that kind of crap in their computer...

Old 03-06-2006, 09:33 PM
blipblip
1st Gear
Thanks guys.
I'll have another go at the car this weekend with proper size tires, higher grip surface and more fuel. If it happens again i'll bring it back to the dealer. Hmm, what should I tell the dealer, "Yeah, it happened when I try to pull a record run into my driveway, which is a 2nd gear, long right hand sweeper....." Wonder if they'll believe me. :D

Old 03-07-2006, 12:01 AM
BGarfield
4th Gear
Hmmm. If it's fuel starving, something changed from '05 to '06. My '05 car (as well as my '02) could be autocrossed with NO gas, guage below "E" line and not even a hint of starvation.
In fact, I even had trouble starting my '02 car in grid one time because of low gas, yet it didn't starve on course...

As for front traction, welcome to high torque front wheel drive. Period. It's been the biggest achilles heel with this car from the beginning. Along with high torque, you've got a very touchy (short tip-in) electronic throttle that makes it difficult to modulate. Takes practice, that's for sure.

Brian

Old 03-07-2006, 03:03 AM
Bilbo-Baggins
6th Gear
Agreed - It does not sound like the switch is not turning off the ASC, and definitely DO NOT tell the dealer you were Auto-Xing.

Throttle control will help with the launch. The '05 & '06 MCSs can over power the LSD with their added power and lower gears.

Old 03-07-2006, 06:04 PM
falconshadow
1st Gear
dealers

My dealer loves the fact that I AutoX. I guess I got lucky!!

Old 03-20-2006, 07:40 PM
blipblip
1st Gear
Hi guys,
Here's an update of the situation.

Since the first autocross, I've replaced the tires to a more proper sized 215/40/17 Azenis RT-615. The last autocross's venue has a much higher friction surface, but course design doesn't have any sweepers. I ran with 1/2 tank full of gas, and the power didn't get cut off that time.

I also just did an open track day, and the track has a big carousel which loads up some lateral Gs' when taken properly, the power did not get cut off also, but I realized when powering out of corners, the engine will skip a beat or two. I wonder if that's my heavy right foot over powering the LSD, or does the LSD have some issues. Any thoughts?

Old 03-20-2006, 08:51 PM
scobib
5th Gear
I noticed this at our last autocross a bit - with the open diff in my Cooper and the current "stiff" suspension setup I found a few hiccups now and then over rough pavement in fast sweepers with the DSC off... It was nowhere near the rev limiter, either. Odd behavior, if you ask me, when I needed the car to be putting down full power. This was with ~1/4 tank of gas, too. I doubt I lost much time, but it was annoying... I chalked it up to a bit of wheelspin on exit as the wheel unloaded and the suspension was absorbing the bumps... shrug?

Old 03-20-2006, 09:08 PM
blipblip
1st Gear
Sounds like the same issue as I am facing. Hmm, I think if I could get some on board video it would help in diagnosing the problem. Any ideas for a cheap camera mount?

Old 03-21-2006, 12:38 AM
OasisT
6th Gear
I'll be running my 06 this weekend on an empty tank, I'll let you know if it starves. If so, thats going to add 40lbs of fuel to the pig. lol

Old 03-21-2006, 07:31 AM
scobib
5th Gear
Originally Posted by blipblip
Sounds like the same issue as I am facing. Hmm, I think if I could get some on board video it would help in diagnosing the problem. Any ideas for a cheap camera mount?
http://www.cruisecam.com

Old 06-08-2006, 05:17 PM
njbed
1st Gear
As far as your tires slipping coming out of corners, and i know that you prob. know this but i will say it to drill it into your head. I have to make sure that my wheels are straight before i hit the gas, i do roll on to it so i dont take the turn with my foot off the gas. Running with 04 MCS it took a while to get used to the wheel slip. But of course i was running with the stock runflats and now i have better tires but still nothing to brag about. I guess having to deal with wheel spin with the runflats that i learned to feather the gas better than i should now with new tires.

Old 06-08-2006, 05:32 PM
dave
pug poo picker-upper
Received 30 Likes on 18 Posts
Originally Posted by OasisT
I'll be running my 06 this weekend on an empty tank, I'll let you know if it starves. If so, thats going to add 40lbs of fuel to the pig. lol
For what it's worth I have run my '06 MC well into the red light and not had any power cut

Old 06-08-2006, 06:32 PM
JustGo4It_
5th Gear
No starvation issues here either. I constantly run events, go to the gas station and put in at least 12.5 gallons.

Old 06-09-2006, 06:38 AM
danielg
4th Gear
Originally Posted by JustGo4It_
No starvation issues here either. I constantly run events, go to the gas station and put in at least 12.5 gallons.
After a track day at VIR, I put in over 13.5 gallons. I'd have to find my receipt, to be exact (no topping off either).

Old 06-09-2006, 09:36 AM
OasisT
6th Gear
Originally Posted by Dave
For what it's worth I have run my '06 MC well into the red light and not had any power cut
I have ran my MCS many many times into the red light with no issues, well, maybe 1 time. The only time I ever had an issue was at the Walnut Ridge Prosolo, on my final run, it cut off at the finish line driving in a straight line. I coasted into 2nd driver grid where some fuel was waiting since we knew we were on the verge of running out.

Old 06-12-2006, 12:47 PM
MattMan
Coordinator :: Minis Under the Arches (Oct 25-28)
I ran my 05 MCS to where the computer was telling me "0 miles" left. This was at the end of my 2nd to last run of the day. I finished up the last 65 second run and had enough to head over to the gas station about a 1/2 mile away. The power didn't stumble once through the course.