D Stock Koni Sport vs Koni FSD Gold Shocks

Search this Thread

Old 10-31-2005, 05:11 PM
MINI_xs
1st Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Koni Sport vs Koni FSD Gold Shocks

I read somewhere that Koni's new FSD (Frequency Selective Damping) Gold shock absorbers compare very well with the traditional Koni Sport shocks in terms of autocross times AND are more comfortable over rough pavement.

Discussion please! Does anyone have first hand experience with either or, preferably, both of these shocks? I'm most interested in autocross handling, but comfort counts for a little too.

Old 11-01-2005, 07:30 AM
GRMPer
4th Gear
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
I have the FSDs on my HS car. they're good and damp very well for autocross (low freq. like a slalom is actually very firm, high speed, like expansion joints is soft). Can't be use to tune the handling...so, you can't crank up the rear to get the MINI to rotate.

http://grmotorsports.com/news/catego...5-mini-cooper/

Per

Old 11-01-2005, 07:32 AM
JeffS
5th Gear
The person I know at Koni was saying that he had a couple people running golds in the front and yellows in the rear to help induce oversteer.

No personal experience yet though.

Old 11-01-2005, 10:50 AM
MINI_xs
1st Gear
Originally Posted by GRMPer
I have the FSDs on my HS car. they're good and damp very well for autocross (low freq. like a slalom is actually very firm, high speed, like expansion joints is soft). Can't be use to tune the handling...so, you can't crank up the rear to get the MINI to rotate.

http://grmotorsports.com/news/catego...5-mini-cooper/

Per
Thanks Per. Was it in Grassroots Motorsports that I read an initial evaluation of these shocks? That reminds me. I've forgotten to renew my subscription to GRM. [Reminder to self: Sticky note on my jacket to renew GRM as soon as I get home tonight.] Followed your link. Good stuff! I wasn't aware that GRM's on-line presence included additional material that doesn't appear in the magazine.

I autocross a G-Stock 2003 (non-LSD) Cooper S in the Michigan and Northwest Ohio area. As it stands right now, the car is completely stock except for the Hoosier A3-S05 tires running on some light-weight 6.5" wheels. I've managed to win the Detroit Region's class championship the last couple of years, but am contemplating getting a little more serious about the next level up -- CenDiv.

I got the chance to run against Jeff Jacobs once this season. I think he's one of the top guys nationally in the Cooper S, and he beat by (if I recall correctly) about three quarters of a second per run. Like everyone else I'm certain that my driving is always top notch, so it must've been his fancy shocks! Obviously I'll need to put something on my Christmas list to match his suspension. Hence this discussion topic...

Old 11-01-2005, 11:11 AM
GRMPer
4th Gear
Yep, I tried them on a E46 BMW and liked them...discussions with Lee at Koni indicated they make work for autocross and so here I am trying them.

Our MINI is my wife and my personal car, but hey, it doesn't hurt to write about some of the cool stuff that we're learning about.

Per

Old 11-01-2005, 01:13 PM
MINI_xs
1st Gear
Per --

Coincidence? Your site's "Other Cool Cars Hanging Around..." pages indicate that besides a MINI, you also own a Saab-aru 92x. Us too! My wife and I took advantage of the same deal that you did. Our two family cars are the older MINI Cooper S and the new 92x Aero.

Obviously, people of great intelligence and refinement think (somewhat) alike. :smile: Given that you've changed the rear bar, it sounds like you don't intend to autocross your Saab-aru. My wife just might give it a try in hers.

Old 11-01-2005, 02:01 PM
GRMPer
4th Gear
Yep...the Saabaru is a cool car, but we're just using it as a daily driver...probably going to upgrade the wheel and tire package soon.

Per

Old 11-01-2005, 06:26 PM
codemunkee
2nd Gear
I just installed the Koni yellows with the koni spring (the sport kit). I have it on the softest setting right now, and you'd be hard pressed to tell the difference between a stock MINI. not sure if I'm happy or or mad about that. I'll try dialing in more stiffness into the shocks and see how things go. Right now my other car is an MR2 spyder (stock), and the MINI rides like a Lexus in comparison. not what I expected, after all these reviews of how harsh the koni yellows are.