D Stock GS class

Search this Thread

Old 08-25-2005, 11:53 AM
qweewq12
4th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
GS class

Just to get this right...as I am about to order magnetic numbers for my car...

A Stock MCS with absolutely no mods is GS class...???

Thanks!

Old 08-25-2005, 12:38 PM
petecrosby
5th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Correct.

Old 08-26-2005, 04:58 AM
BGarfield
4th Gear
If you're going to spend any significant money, I'd hang on. There is a possibility of the car going to D Stock next year. I'm not sure I'd spend money on letters right now.

Especially since the letters are supposed to be smaller, print them out on a computer and cut them out of magnetic material or something, so you don't spend but a few pennies...

Brian

Old 08-27-2005, 09:48 AM
qweewq12
4th Gear
good idea....

or if I did get them, I could just get a little sheet of white and slap a D on it from the same company...

ACtually, I just want a piece of grey magentic with some black so I can do the numbers and class... nothing fancy

Old 08-27-2005, 10:17 AM
qweewq12
4th Gear
I read where any mods after the cat are allowed, by a change in air intake is not...

I was thinking about getting this seat belt lock..
http://mossmini.com/Shop/ViewProduct...35&SortOrder=1

Any other mods, beside the exhaust, that help performance and doesn't kick me out of GS?

Old 08-27-2005, 11:04 AM
Mineon
4th Gear
Originally Posted by roehrigs01
Any other mods, beside the exhaust, that help performance and doesn't kick me out of GS?
Unfortunately not much. You can change the fluids, plugs, wires, coil, and air filter (has to be a drop-in replacement in the stock airbox), but none of those are likely to get you much more than a hp or two.

-Keith

Old 08-27-2005, 11:20 AM
sndwave
Coordinator :: Gulf Coast & Panhandle MINIs
Because the MCS comes from the factory with 16 or 17 inch wheels you can run either size and be within the rules. You may also use any type tire that fits the rims in G stock and that is an advantage.

Old 08-27-2005, 11:41 AM
Mineon
4th Gear
Going beyond just modifications to the engine/exhaust, in addition to being able to run different wheels (must be stock size, +/- 1/4" in offset), whateer DOT legal tires will fit, you can change the front sway bar to a bigger or smaller one, and replace the struts. Brake pads are also free to be changed. There are some smaller things as well, but those are most of the main ones.

It's a good idea to read the complete Stock ruleset which can be downloaded at SCCA.com in pdf format.

-Keith

Old 08-27-2005, 11:50 AM
qweewq12
4th Gear
Excellent Idea... will do

Old 08-27-2005, 11:58 AM
sndwave
Coordinator :: Gulf Coast & Panhandle MINIs
Look at the sticky at the top of this G Stock forum.

Old 09-13-2005, 05:40 PM
squid2
2nd Gear
Pro Solo Finale results

The MINI S did very well in the Pro Solo Finale results, and a good
showing in HS.

PDF: http://www.scca.com/_Filelibrary/File/solo-05finale.pdf

Old 09-13-2005, 08:04 PM
Rich.Wolfson
6th Gear
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by squid2
The MINI S did very well in the Pro Solo Finale results, and a good
showing in HS.
Top 8 in G Stock. Yee Ha!

Old 09-14-2005, 04:28 AM
petecrosby
5th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Rich.Wolfson
Well, to be honest, it looks like the only cars entered in GS were MCSs so
that's no big surprise.

Old 09-14-2005, 04:52 PM
MINI_xs
1st Gear
Originally Posted by Rich.Wolfson
Not good news. I haven't looked at the specifics of the results, but the top people probably got those scores running the newer LSD model Cooper S. Finishing orders like this will be used as justification by the Solo classification people to place all Cooper S cars (even those like me without limited slip) into D-Stock where everyone else has AWD or LSD, and lots bigger engines. In my estimation, our cars will be disadvantaged big time.

Old 09-14-2005, 06:54 PM
JustGo4It_
5th Gear
The 2002-2004 cars will not move in class this year. Only the 2005+ is under review. It is listed under a seperate line in the rule book.

Old 09-14-2005, 08:09 PM
OasisT
6th Gear
Originally Posted by MINI_xs
Not good news. I haven't looked at the specifics of the results, but the top people probably got those scores running the newer LSD model Cooper S. Finishing orders like this will be used as justification by the Solo classification people to place all Cooper S cars (even those like me without limited slip) into D-Stock where everyone else has AWD or LSD, and lots bigger engines. In my estimation, our cars will be disadvantaged big time.
That post got me laughing, the only car entered into the Pro in GS were 05 MCS's with LSD. We got beat by DS by .8 seconds! But, the SEB doesn't even consider pro results anyway. Just so you guys know, at the town hall meeting here in Topeka, they said the 05 IS going to DS next year as well as a possible move of the 02-04 to DS in 07.

Craig Wilcox

Old 09-15-2005, 09:20 PM
JustGo4It_
5th Gear
Looking over the results between DS and GS there is a big difference in times. GS has DS by 4.2 seconds. Did the 3rd run group catch rain or was the course wet? I count 26 MINI's in front of top DS time.

Old 09-16-2005, 04:14 AM
BGarfield
4th Gear
It was raining during 3rd heat and drying while we ran. So yes, that's why you see that.

Brian

Old 09-16-2005, 05:54 PM
OasisT
6th Gear
GS results

Chiles
Garfield
Savinni
Burns
Jensen
Wilcox
Nygaard
Pilson (Celica)
another Celica

DS beat Chiles by 1.1-1.2 seconds with identical conditions. Start writing your letters to the SEB now before its too late. Top dirty time for Pilson was within .1-.2 seconds of Chiles and his top clean time was within .3 or so, so, the Celica and Mini are a good match for GS. Also, they are moving the Celica GTS down to GS, which, will be quicker than the GT on some courses.

Old 09-18-2005, 05:34 AM
Mark Hirt
1st Gear
Originally Posted by OasisT
GS results
Top dirty time for Pilson was within .1-.2 seconds of Chiles and his top clean time was within .3 or so, so, the Celica and Mini are a good match for GS. Also, they are moving the Celica GTS down to GS, which, will be quicker than the GT on some courses.
Notes: The results will never show if Marks cone was a "nick" of the last slalom cone or a license plate hit. The Celica GTS has no torque, tops out at the same speed in second gear and has a lovely "wheelspin" switch at 6k. On 99% of courses the GT will have it for lunch.

Congrats to the all the drivers at Nationals. I need to learn NOT to spin on my last run of day 1

After spending a week in Kansas I'm off to Ohio for a little relaxation.

Old 09-18-2005, 04:42 PM
OasisT
6th Gear
Originally Posted by Mark Hirt

Congrats to the all the drivers at Nationals. I need to learn NOT to spin on my last run of day 1
If it wasn't drying conditions, it wouldn't have been that big of a deal, but, unfortunately, I know exactly how you feel with my cone on day 1 run 3. :-((

Old 09-18-2005, 05:00 PM
BGarfield
4th Gear
IF I was faster, I would've won...

Brian

Old 09-18-2005, 09:25 PM
MattMan
Coordinator :: Minis Under the Arches (Oct 25-28)
Originally Posted by OasisT

DS beat Chiles by 1.1-1.2 seconds with identical conditions. Start writing your letters to the SEB now before its too late. Top dirty time for Pilson was within .1-.2 seconds of Chiles and his top clean time was within .3 or so, so, the Celica and Mini are a good match for GS. Also, they are moving the Celica GTS down to GS, which, will be quicker than the GT on some courses.
I'm a bit confused....Craig, I think you're going to have to explain what I'm missing. I think in the results I'm looking at, Mark's combined time was around 118 and DS's top time was 122, which would mean that GS beat out DS by almost 4 seconds combined. Could I be looking at the wrong results??

Old 09-18-2005, 09:31 PM
BGarfield
4th Gear
Craig is referring to the only thing you CAN compare, Friday's runs. On Thursday, D Stock ran in the driving rain whereas G Stock ran in drying conditions.

In other words, to compare the two classes on any day other than Friday is pointless. Just look at the lower line of times, not the upper or the total.

Brian

Old 09-18-2005, 09:58 PM
OasisT
6th Gear
Originally Posted by BGarfield
Craig is referring to the only thing you CAN compare, Friday's runs. On Thursday, D Stock ran in the driving rain whereas G Stock ran in drying conditions.

In other words, to compare the two classes on any day other than Friday is pointless. Just look at the lower line of times, not the upper or the total.

Brian
Yep, Thats what I meant. I know at the town hall meeting they said they were going to bump us to DS, but, now that the results have shown that we belong in GS, I'm hoping they stick to their plan of making GS quicker, instead of going back to the old GS with Celica's as the only car to have.

Quick Reply: D Stock GS class