D Stock Aero Kit and Stock Class?

Search this Thread

Old 06-14-2005, 10:27 AM
trick
3rd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Aero Kit and Stock Class?

So I know the Works bumps you from Stock, but I was curious which side of the fence an Aero kit drops you on. If it's OEM, but dealer installed is it aftermarket?

Old 06-14-2005, 11:42 AM
OasisT
6th Gear
Any dealer installed option is basically considered as an aftermarket part.

Old 06-14-2005, 08:08 PM
DWatkins
2nd Gear
I am not sure what advantage you would be getting from an aero kit. It really just makes the car heavier. I think purely cosmetic modifications are allowed.

Old 06-14-2005, 10:36 PM
Motoring
5th Gear
Originally Posted by DWatkins
I think purely cosmetic modifications are allowed.
Ummm, No

Old 06-15-2005, 06:50 AM
trick
3rd Gear
As I suspected. Thanks for the input. There was a smoking deal on an 03 S with the kit, but I'll stick to the plan: Buy new., Get exactly what I want.

Old 06-15-2005, 07:54 AM
MiniAutoXr
1st Gear
Originally Posted by trick
As I suspected. Thanks for the input. There was a smoking deal on an 03 S with the kit, but I'll stick to the plan: Buy new., Get exactly what I want.
Trick -- If you want a legal `03 MCS instead of the body kit car or buying a new one, I'm selling the 2004 G-Stock ProSolo national championship car. IB/W, 30,300 miles, $18,750. Located in Philadelphia. Spend the other $7k on a set of wheels, tires, and Evolution schools.

Jeff Jacobs

Old 06-16-2005, 12:33 PM
trick
3rd Gear
Tempting Jeff. Sounds like a reasonable price, but I really think I'm going to end up holding out for an 05 with LSD.

Besides, if I bought a proven winner I won't have any excuses when I'm DFL.

Old 08-09-2005, 05:33 PM
sprcpr
2nd Gear
I don't think body kits count

We have several people running in stock classes with body kits.

Old 08-09-2005, 07:16 PM
Tirewarmer
3rd Gear
Originally Posted by sprcpr
We have several people running in stock classes with body kits.
Body kits are not legal. Locally you won;t usually get protested. At a National even I guarantee you would if you beat someone.

Old 08-11-2005, 12:22 AM
minihune
OVERDRIVE - Racing Champion
Received 67 Likes on 65 Posts
Originally Posted by trick
So I know the Works bumps you from Stock, but I was curious which side of the fence an Aero kit drops you on. If it's OEM, but dealer installed is it aftermarket?
trick,

According to the 2005 SCCA Solo Rules Book

The MC is eligible for:
HS or H-stock
FSP or F Street Prepared
STS or Street Touring S (no R compound tires allowed)

The MCS is eligible for:
GS or G-Stock
DSP or D Street Prepared
ASP or A Street Prepared (only if JCW kit is installed)
STU (new class for JCW MCS)
STX or Street Touring X (no R compound tires allowed)
SM or Street Modified

The MINI aero kit in part or entirety is illegal for:
H-Stock and G-stock (aero kit or parts thereof are not factory installed)

The MINI aero kit bumpers or spoilers only are legal for:
All street prepared classes: FSP, DSP, ASP (aero side skirts are not allowed)

Any aero kit part is legal in:
STS and STX (aero kit parts replace stock parts), STU?
Street Mod class (matches your reduction pulley upgrade)

In my region all stock class MINIs are not allowed to have any aero kit parts installed. You may paint stock side skirts and wheel arches.

The MINI aerokit offers no significant advantage for Solo 2 events so it would not be worth changing classes if there was an option to omit the aerokit. If you are already in Street Mod class then you can do any body kit or body upgrade.

Old 03-19-2007, 06:13 PM
FLKeith
4th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Motoring
Originally Posted by DWatkins
I think purely cosmetic modifications are allowed.
Ummm, No
Why not - from the rule book...
13.2 BODYWORK
A. Accessories, gauges, indicators, lights and other appearance, comfort and convenience modifications which have no effect on performance and/or handling and do not materially reduce the weight of the car are permitted.

I would read this as saying purely cosmetic mods are allowed.

Old 03-19-2007, 08:33 PM
JustGo4It_
5th Gear
The solo rules build on themselves. If it doesn't say you can, then you can't.

STREET TOURING CATEGORY

F. Addition of spoilers, splitters, body kits, rear wings and nonfunctional
scoops/vents is allowed. The intent of this allowance
is to accommodate commonly available appearance kits, and
replicas thereof, which have no significant aerodynamic function
at Solo speeds. Body kits are limited to bumper covers, valances,
side skirts, and fender flares.

Old 03-19-2007, 11:24 PM
minihune
OVERDRIVE - Racing Champion
Received 67 Likes on 65 Posts
Originally Posted by FLKeith
Why not - from the rule book...
13.2 BODYWORK
A. Accessories, gauges, indicators, lights and other appearance, comfort and convenience modifications which have no effect on performance and/or handling and do not materially reduce the weight of the car are permitted.

I would read this as saying purely cosmetic mods are allowed.
It is true. Aero kit and any part of the aero kit is not legal for stock classes. It doesn't matter if it is functional or not. Aero kit is not considered "comfort and convenience" and it is not considered purely cosmetic even if it happens to be for a given car. The rules apply broadly to all cars that have an aero kit option.

Further, for the MINI the aero kits were not factory installed, they were dealer installed so they are not eligible for stock classes based on that as well.

You have to read the rules and scrutinize them. Ask other MINI drivers for help if needed.

Old 03-20-2007, 06:39 PM
FLKeith
4th Gear
I assume the factory installed aero kit for the 2007 will be legal for G-stock when it is available as it is installed on the factory production line.

Old 03-20-2007, 07:35 PM
ScottRiqui
OVERDRIVE
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Originally Posted by JustGo4It_
The solo rules build on themselves. If it doesn't say you can, then you can't.

STREET TOURING CATEGORY

F. Addition of spoilers, splitters, body kits, rear wings and nonfunctional
scoops/vents is allowed. The intent of this allowance
is to accommodate commonly available appearance kits, and
replicas thereof, which have no significant aerodynamic function
at Solo speeds. Body kits are limited to bumper covers, valances,
side skirts, and fender flares.
This is great advice - I found the rules to be a little confusing when I first started reading them, until I realized that if a particular part is mentioned under the rules for a certain class, it's a pretty sure bet that the part is *not* allowed in any of the previously-discussed classes. Thus, in this example, even though you might think aero parts could be considered "appearance items" under Stock rules, the fact that they are specifically mentioned for the first time in the Street Touring section is a good indication that they're *not* allowed in Stock.

As JustGo4It says, the rules build on themselves, so the section where you first see a particular part specifically allowed is usually the section for the "lowest" (closest to Stock) class that allows that particular part/modification.

Old 05-08-2007, 07:10 PM
FLKeith
4th Gear
Originally Posted by FLKeith
I assume the factory installed aero kit for the 2007 will be legal for G-stock when it is available as it is installed on the factory production line.
Can anyone confirm whether I have got this right?
Thanks, Keith

Old 05-08-2007, 08:08 PM
mitchman
5th Gear
Yes that's correct. The key thing is that it is "factory installed".

I really wanted the aero kit for our 2006 and was really bummed to find that it wasn't G-stock legal. Good to hear that the R56 aero kits are factory installed. I didn't know that.

Old 05-09-2007, 04:12 PM
FLKeith
4th Gear
Originally Posted by mitchman
Yes that's correct. The key thing is that it is "factory installed".

I really wanted the aero kit for our 2006 and was really bummed to find that it wasn't G-stock legal. Good to hear that the R56 aero kits are factory installed. I didn't know that.
I think there are several aero kits for the R56. The factory kit is pretty ugly but may look OK if the wheel arches were painted. The good looking kit is the dealer installed one and the best is the dealer installed JCW aero kit.

Old 05-10-2007, 03:00 PM
gwalsh
1st Gear
There are only two aero kits available for the R56. The factory aero kit (butt ugly) which is installed at the factory and is legal in GS. The JCW aero kit (cool looking) is installed at the dealer and would not be legal.
Here's the confusing part.
You can now order your R56 with the JCW aero kit (still cool looking) installed at the port before it arrives at the dealer. Would this be legal?

Old 05-10-2007, 03:04 PM
ScottRiqui
OVERDRIVE
Interesting question - I think VDC-installed items are considered "factory".

IIRC, retaining the big honkin' cupholder on the later cars is a requirement for Stock class, since the cupholder is installed at the VDC.

Old 05-10-2007, 04:08 PM
FLKeith
4th Gear
The SCCA rule book defines a standard part as "installed on the factory production line and available through the dealer". That would exclude VDC-installed options.

Old 05-10-2007, 06:00 PM
ScottRiqui
OVERDRIVE
I really think the VDC is considered an extension of the factory production line, rather than falling in the same category as the dealership.

To use the cupholder example from my earlier post - it comes standard with all of the cars, you couldn't delete it from your order if you wanted to, and I think all of the Stock participants at Nationals still had them installed, because they're considered "factory" parts, even though they're not actually installed until the cars reach the VDC.

Old 05-10-2007, 06:32 PM
JustGo4It_
5th Gear
Originally Posted by riquiscott
To use the cup holder example from my earlier post - it comes standard with all of the cars, you couldn't delete it from your order if you wanted to.
You hit the nail on the head. Where you have the "option" of receiving an item on your car and it is installed at the VPC then it is not factory. I've gone back and forth with Doug Gill on this issue.

The "comfort & convenience" or "C&C" rule, 13.2.A (page 60), allows you to add items - not remove them. When it says, "...do not materially reduce the weight of the car are permitted," I should point out that removing any item from your vehicle technically reduces the weight of the car. Doesn't matter if it's insignificant weight or not; the rules say specifically you can't remove weight. You mention this as a dealer accessory - can the dealer get the MINI Cooper from MINI, delivered to the dealership without the cup holder? Then you are allowed to remove it. Basically, if the cup holder was added as a stand-alone component at the request of the dealer or buyer, then you can remove it. If it is part of a "package," then you would be required to remove the complete package (all the other items that came with the cup holder) with the cup holder. As an example, if there was a package that came with wider wheels but the cup holder is part of the package, you can remove the cup holder and the wider wheels. But you can't pick-and-choose the parts you want from incomplete packages. I hope I've explained adequately. Basically, your car has to be in a configuration (including cup holder) as the car could have come from MINI as delivered to the dealer. You can add C&C items and remove them - but accessory packages have to be complete as they came from MINI. I'll be glad to discuss this further anytime.

Hope this helps.
Doug Gill
SCCA Solo Technical Manager

Last edited by JustGo4It_; 05-10-2007 at 06:36 PM.
Old 05-10-2007, 07:17 PM
fritznw
2nd Gear
Originally Posted by riquiscott
Interesting question - I think VDC-installed items are considered "factory".

IIRC, retaining the big honkin' cupholder on the later cars is a requirement for Stock class, since the cupholder is installed at the VDC.
By VDC do you mean the dock? Back before we got our 06 JCW I was looking at the MCS w/o JCW and I wanted the aero kit as well. I sent a letter to Doug Gill back at the national office and asked about items installed at the dock before they make it to the dealer. That was considered an extension of the factory and per him it was legal for stock class.

Dudley

Old 05-10-2007, 07:21 PM
ScottRiqui
OVERDRIVE
I don't know what is actually done to the car at the docks themselves, but a significant amount of work is done at the VDC (vehicle distribution center).

For my car, it was taken off the boat in New York City, sent to the VDC in New Jersey where it was cleaned, prepped, and had various parts installed (like the cupholder), before being sent on a truck to my dealer in Virginia Beach, Virginia.

Quick Reply: D Stock Aero Kit and Stock Class?