D Stock Alta Cold Air Intake, what does this mean?

Search this Thread

Old 04-21-2005, 03:52 PM
haulin_oats
3rd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Alta Cold Air Intake, what does this mean?

I put in a cold air intake this spring. what will this do for auto cross? will I still be in G Stock? I have no other mods.

Old 04-21-2005, 04:03 PM
rataha
5th Gear
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
nope street modified I believe STX maybe but I don't understand all that. Kiss G-stock good bye

Old 04-21-2005, 05:05 PM
Motoring
5th Gear
If you are serious about autox take off the cold air and stay in GS. Otherwise it depends on the tires you want to use. STX for Street tires. DSP or SM for R compounds.

Old 04-22-2005, 05:35 AM
gowest
4th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
The Alta is not Stock or STX legal. The reason it's not STX Legal is it requires removing part of the car that is not part of the intake, the wall behind the stock air box. Same goes for several other intakes and the drilling or cutting of holes in that same wall.

Old 04-22-2005, 06:42 AM
haulin_oats
3rd Gear
I assume this would put me in DSS then?

Old 04-22-2005, 07:07 AM
Motoring
5th Gear
I don't know, those canadian classes are weird...

Old 05-17-2005, 11:48 AM
savage65
3rd Gear
Doesn't sound like a mod that is savvy for autocross. can u just reverse the mod and sell the parts?

Old 05-17-2005, 12:02 PM
SumWon
5th Gear
Originally Posted by savage65
Doesn't sound like a mod that is savvy for autocross. can u just reverse the mod and sell the parts?
Wow you guys are a lot more serious about AutoX than I am. I have no chance of winning anything serious in ANY class, so I prep my car the way I want it (intake, pulley, etc) and run in whatever class they put me in. I am out there to have fun with my car and to improve my times over the day, not to take home a championship. If you really want to compete to win, then stay in the stock class, otherwise mod to your delight and enjoy the pleasure the mods bring. I love the way the reduction pulley makes the supercharger howls through the CAI as I am pushing 15lbs of boost!

Old 05-18-2005, 05:51 AM
roadodendron
2nd Gear
CAI confusion

Originally Posted by gowest
The Alta is not Stock or STX legal. The reason it's not STX Legal is it requires removing part of the car that is not part of the intake, the wall behind the stock air box. Same goes for several other intakes and the drilling or cutting of holes in that same wall.
I am somewhat confused as to this conclusion. Since the parts that are removed when installing an Alta CAI are parts of the "air filter box" (there is a hole for the filter housing through the wall behind hte air box for the purpose of feeding the air box).
I would point to rule 14.10 B. The air intake system up to, but not including, the engine inlet may be modified or replaced. For naturally aspirated engines, the engine inlet is the inlet to the throttle body or carburetor. For turbocharged or supercharged engines, the engine inlet is the compressor inlet. The existing structure of the car may not be modified for the passage of ducting from the air cleaner to the engine inlet.
Holes may be drilled for mounting.

Any clarification would be great.

Chris

Old 05-19-2005, 08:48 AM
minifinn
4th Gear
I would point to rule 14.10 B. The air intake system up to, but not including, the engine inlet may be modified or replaced. For naturally aspirated engines, the engine inlet is the inlet to the throttle body or carburetor. For turbocharged or supercharged engines, the engine inlet is the compressor inlet. The existing structure of the car may not be modified for the passage of ducting from the air cleaner to the engine inlet.
It would seem to fall outside of the restrictions noted in 14.10 B. I think the plastic separation sheild would be part of the stock airbox intake system because it has a hole already in it for that purpose and it is definitely not part of the car structure between the air cleaner element and the engine inlet. Other opinions?????

Last edited by minifinn; 05-19-2005 at 08:52 AM. Reason: spelling
Old 05-19-2005, 12:10 PM
savage65
3rd Gear
The spirit of a stock class is that you get no advantage on anyone else. If it doesn't say you CAN do it, then you can't. What it does say in the rule book is that you can replace the stock filter (paper?) with one of a different manufacture such as foam. It should however be housed in the stock air box. The stock box does NOT have a cold air intake.

Old 05-19-2005, 12:37 PM
Motoring
5th Gear
Originally Posted by savage65
The spirit of a stock class is that you get no advantage on anyone else. If it doesn't say you CAN do it, then you can't. What it does say in the rule book is that you can replace the stock filter (paper?) with one of a different manufacture such as foam. It should however be housed in the stock air box. The stock box does NOT have a cold air intake.
The last few comments are about why the Alta CAI is not legal in STX... Not whether it is legal in G Stock, that is very clear.

Old 05-19-2005, 02:00 PM
minifinn
4th Gear
The last few comments are about why the Alta CAI is not legal in STX... Not whether it is legal in G Stock, that is very clear.
Yes. Maybe this discussion should move to STX forum. And I agree that the ALTA should not be allowed to be used in STX since it removes the panel completely which is not in the spirit of the the STX rules. Intake box mods however...........?

Last edited by minifinn; 05-19-2005 at 02:01 PM. Reason: spelling
Old 01-13-2008, 06:45 PM
RilianMini
2nd Gear
I know I am bringing up an OLD thread, and the G-Stock rules may not be the same now...

But the 2008 rules state this:
13.10 A. The engine air filter element may be removed or replaced. A replacement element which is taller than standard may not be
used to hold the air cleaner cover open. No other components of the air induction system may be removed, replaced or modified.

So is anyone running without the filter element in the stock box? How safe is this for an autocross?

Thanks

Last edited by RilianMini; 01-13-2008 at 06:47 PM.