Search this Thread

Old 02-24-2005, 08:03 AM
nevr2qk
2nd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
JCW suspension

Hey folks-

2005 season is almost here!

I saw someone recently claiming the JCW suspension kit is (now?) a *factory* installed option. Is this true?

If so, that should make it legal for GS. (Right?) Anybody had a chance to compare to see if it's worth the extra grand?

Brock

Old 02-24-2005, 08:13 AM
WindMeUp
4th Gear
It's dealer installed, so I doubt it counts as a factory installed option.

Old 02-24-2005, 09:03 AM
macaid
2nd Gear
I am getting everything JCW. All of it is dealer installed.

Old 02-24-2005, 12:11 PM
nevr2qk
2nd Gear
whew...?

Found the link: http://www.mini2.com/forum/showthread.php?t=84948 Second post, author is L8Apex.

Frankly, I hope this gentleman is mistaken. Sounds like he is.

Brock

Old 02-25-2005, 06:23 AM
BGarfield
4th Gear
Nothing JCW is consider stock...period. If you have JCW parts, they're not legal for Stock. The only stuff that can be changed to JCW are shocks, front sway bar, plugs, wires, coil, air FILTER, cat-back exhaust, etc. re: the SCCA Solo rulebook (assuming you're running SCCA rules).

The JCW is put immediately into A Street Prepared, and has recently been allowed into STU where it might be somewhat fun/competitive.

If you're running a standard Cooper S, you cannot add JCW parts and still run in Stock unless they are parts that fit the Stock rules. So no, no JCW suspension (springs/rear sway bar change) is allowed in Stock.

Brian

Old 02-25-2005, 07:24 AM
nevr2qk
2nd Gear
The JCW "Works" package, as worded in the rulebook, originally referred only to the engine upgrade on the MINI website.

But I see where you're coming from- any or all "works" upgrades bump the car. MINIUSA isn't working for me right now, but the JC website uses "tuning kit" to distinguish the engine upgrade. No one package is referred to as the "Works". So, I think you're right.

Thanks for clearing that up. I was worried I had missed a legal upgrade when ordering.

Brock

Old 08-29-2006, 08:17 PM
Dumbscout
Neutral
I don't want to get a bad rep for pulling up old posts from the dead, but I have looked in a few places, and can't get a clear answer on it. If you order the car with the JCW optional suspension does it bump you out of GS class?

Old 08-29-2006, 08:28 PM
SalemMINIDriver
3rd Gear
Originally Posted by Dumbscout
I don't want to get a bad rep for pulling up old posts from the dead, but I have looked in a few places, and can't get a clear answer on it. If you order the car with the JCW optional suspension does it bump you out of GS class?
JCW suspension is a POE installed accessory, not a factory option (like SS+ on the Cooper).

Old 08-30-2006, 05:02 AM
Dumbscout
Neutral
so would upgrading just the suspension the JCW knock you out of gs class?

Old 08-30-2006, 06:40 AM
nygaard
3rd Gear
Originally Posted by Dumbscout
so would upgrading just the suspension the JCW knock you out of gs class?
Yes. Options that you cannot get from the factory are not stock class legal.

Old 08-30-2006, 01:36 PM
Dumbscout
Neutral
ahh, gotcha. I was reading the stock rules, I guess I got confused b.c I thought maybe they would still be legal if they weren't adjustable or something. I'm still new to the autoX rules, so I'm sorry if I sound stupid. Thanks for the help!

Old 09-02-2006, 01:27 PM
faster,Tobias!
1st Gear
MINI have produced 64 cars, for Canada only, called the 'John Cooper Works Competition Edition'. They arrive from the factory with the JCW engine, brakes and suspension. Surely this would be able to run in GS, with nothing that was dealer installed?

Old 09-02-2006, 03:31 PM
Mineon
4th Gear
Originally Posted by faster,Tobias!
MINI have produced 64 cars, for Canada only, called the 'John Cooper Works Competition Edition'. They arrive from the factory with the JCW engine, brakes and suspension. Surely this would be able to run in GS, with nothing that was dealer installed?
Surely not.

Old 09-02-2006, 04:11 PM
rpob5t
2nd Gear
What mineon said. Basically 05 up coopers that have a factory installed JCW kit are now eligilbe for B stock (still not competetive). The retro fit kits is now STX/DSP (a lot more competetive) legal for all cooper S's. Hope that helps you a little

Old 09-03-2006, 11:16 AM
JustGo4It_
5th Gear
Cars are classed on U.S. specs only and then you would need 1000 cars minimum.

Old 08-06-2007, 12:16 PM
JCWCOMP62
1st Gear
ASN Canada's Solosport (our version of SCCA Solo2) rules address the "Works" package by not allowing an MCS with the JCW package to run in STOCK. It is immediately put in A-SUPER STOCK (as are several other cars purchaseable from the dealer with various go-fast parts, such as M3s, C6s, etc, regardless of whether they're installed by the "factory" or a "dealer"). In A/SS (or *** ) it is up against various C5 and C6 Corvette's, one of which I blew away this weekend at our double event Slalom@Slemon. IMO the dealer is merely an extension of the factory whose marque it carries. Installed in one place or the other shouldn't imply more "stock" than the other. I'm more than a little pleased to be driving a factory warrantied go-fast car that others consider "non-STOCK".

Old 08-07-2007, 09:31 AM
markertoo
3rd Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by JCWCOMP62
ASN Canada's Solosport (our version of SCCA Solo2) rules address the "Works" package by not allowing an MCS with the JCW package to run in STOCK. It is immediately put in A-SUPER STOCK (as are several other cars purchaseable from the dealer with various go-fast parts, such as M3s, C6s, etc, regardless of whether they're installed by the "factory" or a "dealer"). In A/SS (or *** ) it is up against various C5 and C6 Corvette's, one of which I blew away this weekend at our double event Slalom@Slemon. IMO the dealer is merely an extension of the factory whose marque it carries. Installed in one place or the other shouldn't imply more "stock" than the other. I'm more than a little pleased to be driving a factory warrantied go-fast car that others consider "non-STOCK".
The problem is that many parts could be installed at a dealer. These parts can not be considered an OE part unless it is also possible to have it installed at the factory. For example, one could convert a normal 2006 MCS (GS) to a JCW car (BS), and still run in stock. But, you have to convert your car to EVERYTHING that was available on the new, BS car.

I was under the impression that the "'John Cooper Works Competition Edition" car was identical in equipment to a GP Edition car, but for some name ownership or marketing reason, it could not be called a GP in Canada.

Old 08-09-2007, 07:11 PM
faster,Tobias!
1st Gear
Originally Posted by markertoo
I was under the impression that the "'John Cooper Works Competition Edition" car was identical in equipment to a GP Edition car, but for some name ownership or marketing reason, it could not be called a GP in Canada.
No, not close. It is a Cooper S JCW with the aero body kit, JCW brakes and suspension, some bits of CF and alcantara. It is what we got up here to make up for no GP's being allowed in Canada, which, if I heard the story right, was because with the new front and rear bumper skins on the GP, Transport Canada would require new crash testing; not worth it given the limited number of GP's that would have been sold here.

Old 08-09-2007, 07:34 PM
lhoboy
6th Gear
Not until 500 units are produced under SCCA homologation rules.