D Stock JCW Pro Parts allowed in DS?

Search this Thread

Old 05-31-2019, 08:55 AM
Eddie07S
OVERDRIVE
Received 1,135 Likes on 890 Posts
JCW Pro Parts allowed in DS?

I am new to the JCW world with a recent purchase of a 2019 F56 JCW. From what I understand, a stock F56 JCW is classed in DS - If I have that wrong, please let me know... I also understand that there are a few common mods (shocks, tires, one swaybar, etc) that are allowed in DS, along with any Factory or Port installed MINI options.

My question has to do with this: I have found that MINI has a line of JCW Pro parts, which include aero and suspension parts (IE: coilovers). It appears that they are not a “build option”, but an “accessory”. As a MINI accessory, they are not listed as a build option when ordering a car. But I can find nothing as to whether they are a Port installed option?
https://www.shopminiusa.com/PRODUCT/...-SPORT-CHASSIS

My question is, does anyone know for sure whether or not these parts are allowed in DS? That is, are they Port installed?

I have done Google searches and searches of the DS forum. I have not been able to find any discussion on the topic of the JCW Pro parts. I was hoping someone has already broached this topic. My apologies if I missed it.

Mostly, I am looking to understand where my car will be classed if I put these in.

Thanks for any help on this.

Old 05-31-2019, 10:54 AM
Juice84
2nd Gear
Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
I've been trying to chase this down too, I put a call into my local dealer and they said Pro items are dealer installed.

Old 05-31-2019, 11:09 AM
Eddie07S
OVERDRIVE
If that is the case then they would not be allowed. That is what I figured.

Hopefully someone else will chime-in to confirm this.

I was at the dealer and forgot to ask. They were busy cutting a deal (selling MINIs... ). I did get a quote to have the Pro coilovers installed - 2.5-ish hrs for the rears and 5-ish hrs for the fronts. Add in an alignment and they are pushing $1k to have them put them in. The interesting thing is, the price of the coilovers is pretty good.

Old 05-31-2019, 05:26 PM
Eddie07S
OVERDRIVE
Ok, I think I have an answer to my own question. Not sure why this didn’t come up in my searches but here it is:

https://www.northamericanmotoring.co...coilovers.html

Dealer installed...

Not good for DS...

Old 05-31-2019, 05:44 PM
cmt52663
6th Gear
Received 293 Likes on 222 Posts
So for pete's sake, put camber plates on it if you are going with coil-overs, and welcome to STU...

Here's a question for ya - can you cover both brake and gas when downshifting, so as to rev match (DSC off), and still get ALL the brake you need?

I can't - I've about 10 mm too much brake pedal travel when I am really using those Brembos hard, and can NOT cover the gas unless I want to bounce the motor off the limiter.

I almost learned the hard way, and have now built a habit of ensuring I do NOT overlap the gas when I know I will use all the brakes.

That's no worries on course (no shifting) but it's a worry on the Dragon.

I may consult the crew chief on that one, and see if anything can be done to raise the brake pedal a little bit.

Keep telling Albert tales please, I do enjoy that thread.

Cheers,

Charlie

Old 06-01-2019, 06:13 AM
Eddie07S
OVERDRIVE
Charlie,
You make me chuckle. True, if I do the coilovers, there is no point in not doing camber plates. If the coilovers are going to stick me into STU, then I might as well do the whole thing just once. It would also be good to get wheels and tires. It is only $$$...

As for heal and toe. First I didn’t realize that the rev matching turns off with turning off the DTC. So, you answered that question for me (I was going to ask how you like it). On the road and on the track, I always run with the DTC on. On my 2012 S, I put it in the mid-mode (quick press and release of the switch). MINI calls it “Traction”. I call it “Track” mode. For me, it works really well. If I am doing things right it doesn’t kick in. I believe the JCW has the same settings. That is what I would be using for something like the Dragon. I’m not that good to be willing to turn it all the way off and do that run.

When I first got the JCW, out of habit from driving the 2012 S, I just naturally did heal and toe in the JCW. Still do. For me, the pedals seem to be in the right place. What are you running for brake pads? I still have the MINI pads in and find them to be quite aggressive when cold, so it doesn’t take much to get the brakes to engage. I also haven’t taken the opportunity to really stand on them. So, maybe I’m not the best person to comment on this.

As for Albert stories... I’m sure there will be more in the making...

The following users liked this post:
cmt52663 (06-01-2019)