D Stock R56 JCW tuning kit - D Street?

Search this Thread

Old 04-17-2018, 07:38 AM
brunocav
Neutral
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
R56 JCW tuning kit - D Street?

Hi all,

This is my first time posting and, I have been reading for a while and amazed by how knowledgeable you guys are. My apologies if this was already answered but I could not see anywhere.

I am driving a 2007 MCS that I use for track day/HPDE duty and decided to start AutoX to reduce costs and have some competition . My car is in almost completely stock form after ditching the big-brakes, CAI and ECU tune to get back to D Street. But, of course, I want to get it modified to the max that is allowed by Solo rules. So, my building list consists of:

1) A set of Koni yellows (already installed, as they were part of my HPDE build)
2) A set of 225/45R17 Direzza III (also installed in OEM wheels as I use this tires for HPDE)
3) A 22mm rear sway bar
4) A JCW tuning kit (Part # 11120429564)

The last item is the only one I am scratching my head about. I read the Solo rulebook and, at least to me, it is not clear if this option would bump me up or not. I understand that it was offered as an option for the MCS 2007 and, as such, it should qualify for street class. But, I do not want to spend $1700 and become STX or whatever class it puts me. I could gather some internet information (e.g. blog posts, press releases and the OEM install guide) and also do not know if this is enough to prove that the equipment is OEM option. Do you have any thoughts on this?

Thanks

Last edited by brunocav; 04-17-2018 at 10:52 AM.
Old 04-19-2018, 06:22 PM
Burglar
3rd Gear
Received 18 Likes on 17 Posts
Since the kit was a port installed option, it's legal. Just want to make sure it was available in '07.

Fwiw, if you have the original, non-dealer reflashed tune in your '07, it makes more power than the JCW kit. If you have a boost gauge or obd scanner, log your boost. If you peak out at ~15psi, save your money.

https://www.northamericanmotoring.com/forums/drivetrain-cooper-s/164845-r56-boost.html#post2693389

The following users liked this post:
brunocav (04-19-2018)
Old 04-19-2018, 06:54 PM
brunocav
Neutral
Thank you for the advice! I will connect my OBD scanner and check the boost levels. Hopefully I will have the original tune.

Old 04-20-2018, 05:48 AM
Burglar
3rd Gear
Oh, and BTW, the "port installed" stuff is a pretty well known and sorted out thing by now thanks to the HS Minis, so I wouldn't worry about carrying documentation anymore.

Let us know how you like those ZIIIs - wait, is that 225/45 correct? Those are real tall - I use the 215/45 which are also taller than stock, but only because they're cheaper than the 205/45.

Old 04-20-2018, 06:22 AM
MrBlah
6th Gear - AX Champion
Received 264 Likes on 210 Posts
rules changed on that too, now they allow dealer installed parts ordered with car so there's a bunch of stuff you can add like strut bars

from the 2018 rulebook

standard part An item of standard or optional equipment that could have been ordered with the car, and delivered through a dealer in the United States. Manufacturer options that are dealer installed, port-installed options, or parts provided by the manufacturer are considered to be the same as those installed on the factory production line. Dealer options, accessories, or deletions (except as required by factory directives), no matter how common or what their origin, are not included in this definition. This definition does not allow the updating or backdating of parts.

The following users liked this post:
brunocav (04-20-2018)
Old 04-20-2018, 08:02 AM
brunocav
Neutral
Indeed, they are about 15mm taller and really beefy (that is the reason I use 5mm spacers). All I can tell is that they rub if I have the car loaded (at least 1 person in the back). Now that you told me that, I haven't thought about the consequences of such tire in an autocross, with all the direction changes, sharp turns and suspension loading... I have them in the car and they replaced a set of Direzza IIs, which are really good for track days where speeds are higher and the extra contact area makes the car turn really well.

As for the boost, I measured yesterday night and I am probably out of luck: the boost peaked at 12.6psi... I am just wondering if the extra 17hp are worth it for AutoX or if I should go for an OEM LSD (if I can find one).

Last edited by brunocav; 04-20-2018 at 08:12 AM.
Old 04-20-2018, 08:17 AM
Burglar
3rd Gear
Highest I've logged in my '07 with the non-updated tune. Obviously this is an atypical spike.

On a cool morning it'll be about 14psi in the midrange before tapering off up top, by the late heat-soaked runs of a summer autocross it'll be closer to 17psi.

IMO, I'd run the car as-is for now rather than go for an all out build. While it was clearly plenty capable last year, I'm curious to see if the Civic R and '18 WRX raises the performance bar this year. And there's a proposal out to drop the slower BS cars into DS next year.

Your car will be plenty quick and capable at locals, the car is especially cheaty on small lots. Not sure you'd really get the ROI on the JCW stuff.

I plan on ditching my Mini after either this year or next.

Attached Thumbnails R56 JCW tuning kit - D Street?-img_20170813_151400.jpg  
Old 04-20-2018, 08:51 AM
brunocav
Neutral
Agreed... Good to know that the car can be competitive locally and is a good base for learning on tight lots. And, of course, I have to build on my own abilities in AutoX, in a way that being competitive in nationals level is not on my sight for the next few years.

Old 05-21-2018, 06:13 AM
aklucsarits
3rd Gear
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
If you want to max prep for DS, you will probably want the JCW suspension kit, which was also a port installed option.

The JCW suspension kit was Springs, shocks, and front and rear sway bars. Shocks are free, and you already have those. One swaybar is free, and you already have a rear bar. So you would need the JCW Tuning springs + the front JCW tuning swaybar, which is a whopping +0.5mm thicker than the Sport+ Swaybar. (But you need the front JCW bar to be 100% legal in DS).

There are 3 different sets of JCW suspension springs, and the ones that are correct/legal for your car depend on your VIN and factory options installed. A dealer will have to tell you which springs to order, based on your VIN.

The springs lower the car ~1/4 in and are noticeably stiffer. I highly recommend them for autoX.

I have the JCW tuning kit (ECU flash + Airbox) on my car also. And I can corroborate what Burglar said: MINI significantly detuned the MCS via an ECU flash ~2010. I was crushed when the dealer did this to my car without my authorization many years ago and then said that there was no way to revert the ECU. The JCW tuning kit gets you back to almost original MCS levels of powerband.

Old 05-21-2018, 07:12 AM
aklucsarits
3rd Gear
Also, to you last question in the original post - If you need it, I have a letter from MINI USA that explains that the JCW options were available as port-installed options on the MC and MCS in the US, making them legal for DS. This is the kind of official proof you would want if you were challenged on the legality of the JCW options at a National level SCCA event. Message me with your email address if you want a copy of the letter.

Old 05-22-2018, 06:23 AM
brunocav
Neutral
Originally Posted by aklucsarits
Also, to you last question in the original post - If you need it, I have a letter from MINI USA that explains that the JCW options were available as port-installed options on the MC and MCS in the US, making them legal for DS. This is the kind of official proof you would want if you were challenged on the legality of the JCW options at a National level SCCA event. Message me with your email address if you want a copy of the letter.
Thanks! I will keep this in mind. If I decide to go with the JCW kit, I will PM you to get the letter.

Old 05-28-2018, 12:18 AM
eschantra
2nd Gear
Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts
Originally Posted by Burglar
IMO, I'd run the car as-is for now rather than go for an all out build. While it was clearly plenty capable last year, I'm curious to see if the Civic R and '18 WRX raises the performance bar this year. And there's a proposal out to drop the slower BS cars into DS next year.

Your car will be plenty quick and capable at locals, the car is especially cheaty on small lots. Not sure you'd really get the ROI on the JCW stuff.

I plan on ditching my Mini after either this year or next.
As a street car or track toy, the Mini is great. If I had to run mine nationally though, I'd be right there with you.

If you're a new driver, as long as your car is decent, I'd suggest running what you brung until you get to the point you feel the car is holding you back.

An Austin couple recently bought a couple of (identical down to color, it's kinda weird) Civic Type Rs and fully prepped one for DS. At a local event earlier this year, the girl finished fourth in PAX, .6 from John Hale in first. To put this in persepective, she's typically a midpacker, while Hale finished second in STU last year behind Alien Heitkotter.

Granted she was on new tires, but still, that thing is fast. Despite this, I asked a local European car shop that does a lot of race car prep to find an LSD for the Mini. It'd make it a lot more fun to drive, and I don't want a repeat of my last event in the rain, where I would've finished third. In NOVICE

Old 05-29-2018, 07:00 AM
aklucsarits
3rd Gear
Originally Posted by eschantra
Granted she was on new tires, but still, that thing is fast. Despite this, I asked a local European car shop that does a lot of race car prep to find an LSD for the Mini. It'd make it a lot more fun to drive, and I don't want a repeat of my last event in the rain, where I would've finished third. In NOVICE
For 2007-2009 only, the MCS had a factory mechanical LSD option that is quite good and IMO an essential option for a DS car. It is apparently a rare option despite it being available for the bargain price of only $500 on the option sheet. The main problem is it's difficult to tell for sure if a particular MCS actually has the LSD. I don't know of any way to visually identify one with the LSD option. The only sure way is to have a MINI dealer look up the VIN for you and verify the factory options list.

The LSD option was ONLY available on the MCS model for those 3 model years. Not even the factory JCW models could get the mechanical LSD, nor could any variant of the 2 seat coupe. (I think the Clubman S maybe could have gotten the mechanical LSD too at the time? But you don't want the long wheelbase for autoX...)

Old 05-29-2018, 07:44 AM
MrBlah
6th Gear - AX Champion
Received 264 Likes on 210 Posts
late 2005 and all of 2006 had the factory LSD option too, I have one. Anyone can check the vin to see if it has the LSD option, just use one one of the many bmw vin decoder websites

my factory 2006 R53 JCW came with an LSD, in fact every factory built r53 jcw came with an LSD, along with all of the GP1 and I thought the GP2 had them too

I ordered my 2007 r56 with an LSD too, mini really screwed up taking the LSD option away it's one of the reasons I have not bought another jcw

Old 05-29-2018, 07:59 AM
vetsvette
Received 450 Likes on 343 Posts
My '07 had the factory LSD. I didn't realize how scarce they were when I bought it. Check with ALLMAG for a factory LSD. They are one of our sponsors and salvage a lot of earlier Minis.