D Stock Mini Noob autocross build

Old 10-09-2017, 10:34 PM
Maxb12
Neutral
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Mini Noob autocross build

Hello everyone,

So here's the scenario: A buddy of mine just got a 2016 Clubman S (4 door). I believe this means it's an f54?
He just completed his first autocross event this Sunday.

Now for the question:

What are some of the "go-to" mods for these cars? It seems there isn't a whole lot of people autocrossing the f54s.

Besides "SEAT TIME" is there any recommendations that he can do?

When I got my Focus ST it seems everyone agreed: "Rear sway bar, End links, Rear Motor Mount, Wheels/Tires and go"

The mini doesn't seem to have many aftermarket parts available.

If someone could be so kind to just layout some bullet point options that would help improve the car's performance that would be great.

The number one complaint from Sunday was "too much sliding"

Thanks in advance
-Max

Old 10-10-2017, 05:40 AM
Burglar
3rd Gear
Received 18 Likes on 17 Posts
Of course #1 most important thing, by a country mile, is driver mod.

Beyond that, in Street, just tires (current top choices are RE71R & BFG Rival S 1.5) and a big rear swaybar of some sort should do it. That's 95% of the way there.

Fancy shocks, lighter exhaust, alignment tweaks also make variable amounts of difference, but won't give nearly the return on a Mini as the above two items.

On my DS car (R56) I have simple, off the shelf Koni yellows, big rear bar, big exhaust, 215 RE71r, and lighter wheels in the factory size. I also run a very slight amount of rear toe out to help the car rotate more, and I have all of the very minimal front camber you can get in an r56. That's it. Car ran times good enough for 4th fastest DS car in the country at Nationals - however I had my head up my **** day 1 and my codriver struggled on day 2. We still both trophied at least.

Old 10-10-2017, 06:11 AM
MrBlah
6th Gear - AX Champion
Received 264 Likes on 210 Posts
the koni yellow's make a big difference too they are very stiff

Old 10-10-2017, 07:25 AM
Burglar
3rd Gear
Received 18 Likes on 17 Posts
Originally Posted by mega72
the koni yellow's make a big difference too they are very stiff
Yeah they're nice. To the OP, note shocks don't help the car "turn any better" per sey, but they do help the car settle a little quicker in transitional stuff like slaloms. Stock stuff on modern cars is usually fine until you get to the pretty pointy end.

FWIW, those silly Focus ST guys should know that a motor mount is an illegal mod...

Search this Thread