6th Gear - AX Champion
Received 264 Likes on 210 Posts
Twins, v6 mustang/camaro & lots of bmw into dstreet

fun might be over in d-street, the twins are moving

Old 11-20-2016, 12:24 PM
Burglar
3rd Gear
Received 18 Likes on 17 Posts
Yeah the twins are definitely the big issue. The Mini is still a good small lot car though, and is still a player on anything that's not sweeper intensive.

Old 11-20-2016, 12:26 PM
MrBlah
6th Gear - AX Champion
you mean slalom? Sweepers are where I make up time

the v6 mustangs are faster than the twins I think

Old 11-20-2016, 12:36 PM
Burglar
3rd Gear
I don't have any hard data, but I feel like the Mini is very strong in digs from ~25-40mph, and an excellent slalom car.

In sweepers it's only on 7" wheels / 215s and it only uses three of them, that's where the twins will make up ground.

I think you're referring to the EcLOLboost Mustang - the v6 doesn't have a performance option. It's fast, but it's a big, wide, heavy girl and needs some room to work. Curious to see how fast Scroggs is in the 4-cyl Camaro, that chassis seems better than the Ford, but the motor doesn't seem as good.

Should be a fun season, but if I were jacket hunting I'd pick the FR-S until proven wrong.

Old 11-20-2016, 12:42 PM
MrBlah
6th Gear - AX Champion
at the nationals there was a v6 running FS and in the top rankings they are fast with a good driver

in slaloms I've watched our "x" CS twins go so fast the rear end is kicking out every cone, if I do that its the front end pushing and I have to drop speed to get it to bite, big diff in strategy

Old 11-21-2016, 04:50 AM
Burglar
3rd Gear
The 3rd place FS Mustang at least was the 4-cyl. I'm not 100% sure on the others, but I don't think there were any v6 cars at nats. The biggest wheel on the V6 is 17x7.5, where the Ecoboost with performance pack gets you 9" wide wheels, the limited slip, and the hotter suspension.

The Twins are fantastically balanced sports cars that do absolutely everything well - except accelerate from a dig.

Old 11-27-2016, 06:13 PM
Gustav129
2nd Gear
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Burglar
The 3rd place FS Mustang at least was the 4-cyl. I'm not 100% sure on the others, but I don't think there were any v6 cars at nats. The biggest wheel on the V6 is 17x7.5, where the Ecoboost with performance pack gets you 9" wide wheels, the limited slip, and the hotter suspension.

The Twins are fantastically balanced sports cars that do absolutely everything well - except accelerate from a dig.
Ford Performance Parts do not qualify for Street Class, so I wouldn't worry about those.

Ford Performance Packs are not ordered with a vehicle. You buy them at the Ford Parts Counter separately, and you have the option to install them yourself/independent mechanic with no warranty, or a Ford Certified Technician for a 12 month warranty.

Old 11-27-2016, 06:53 PM
Burglar
3rd Gear
You're thinking of the Ford Motorsports Catalog stuff, and indeed that's not Street Class legal. The Ecoboost performance pack is completely Street class legal, it's just an option package:

Mark Scroggs ran his Ecoboost Mustang to third in FS in Lincoln, against all the V8 cars:

He ran on Th/Fri, so didn't quite have the same conditions as us in DS, but he would have clobbered the DS field by over 2 seconds:

Now Mark is one of the best in the country, hands down. But still. He sold the Mustang and will be driving a 2016 Camaro 4-cyl in DS next year. The Chevy is lighter than the Ford and has a better chassis. So look out.

And I still say a Twin is going to be even faster than that on almost every national-style course. The Mini still is alive on small local lots where it's size, weight, and great low-speed thrust will still work in it's favor.

Old 11-27-2016, 07:19 PM
Gustav129
2nd Gear
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Burglar
You're thinking of the Ford Motorsports Catalog stuff, and indeed that's not Street Class legal. The Ecoboost performance pack is completely Street class legal, it's just an option package:

Mark Scroggs ran his Ecoboost Mustang to third in FS in Lincoln, against all the V8 cars:

He ran on Th/Fri, so didn't quite have the same conditions as us in DS, but he would have clobbered the DS field by over 2 seconds:

Now Mark is one of the best in the country, hands down. But still. He sold the Mustang and will be driving a 2016 Camaro 4-cyl in DS next year. The Chevy is lighter than the Ford and has a better chassis. So look out.

And I still say a Twin is going to be even faster than that on almost every national-style course. The Mini still is alive on small local lots where it's size, weight, and great low-speed thrust will still work in it's favor.
Yes I am. "Ford Motorsports" was then "Ford Racing", and is now "Ford Performance" (SVT, RS, and Ford Racing combined under one name). I was a just ending my career as a tech at Ford when that was announced. I didn't realize that they had moved to being port installed parts.

It's kind of like the Performance package for the GTI that includes LSD etc for GS.