D Stock Tire advice

Old 04-13-2015, 01:32 PM
\_(0_0)_/
1st Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Tire advice

Hello everyone,

I recently purchased a R56 MCS and would like to get a set of tires and wheels that would be used as a my summer set as well see some track and autox. It currently has the factory 17's on it that came from the dealer, but I think I'll just toss some winters on there since I'll need two sets of wheels here regardless.

Reading the forums it seems that a fairly popular choice is 16x7 and I've got my eyes on a RPF1's from tire rack that seems like a good choice. Where i'm stuck has more to do with the tires since I won't be using a set of dedicated track tires (we will see down the road, but for now I want to use them for both). With that in mind what would everyone recommend? I'm leaning towards 205x55 and the R-S3's look good. Does anyone else have recommendations?

Old 04-13-2015, 04:36 PM
Eddie07S
OVERDRIVE
Received 1,135 Likes on 890 Posts
The RPF1s are really nice; especially light. Had a set for a while.
The Hancooks are good, but you need to get the version 2 to be considered "stock". Not so good in the rain if I remember right (SCCA magazine from Feb I think).
I use the Dunlop ZIIs on the track and autoX. I find them good in the rain.
For another option, read the last page on this thread for some other thoughts about tires for autocross.
https://www.northamericanmotoring.co...ml#post4068352
Notice he uses 205/45-16.

Have fun at any rate

Old 04-13-2015, 05:39 PM
\_(0_0)_/
1st Gear
Originally Posted by Eddie07S
The RPF1s are really nice; especially light. Had a set for a while.
The Hancooks are good, but you need to get the version 2 to be considered "stock". Not so good in the rain if I remember right (SCCA magazine from Feb I think).
I use the Dunlop ZIIs on the track and autoX. I find them good in the rain.
For another option, read the last page on this thread for some other thoughts about tires for autocross.
https://www.northamericanmotoring.co...ml#post4068352
Notice he uses 205/45-16.

Have fun at any rate
Thanks so much for the advice and great catch on the Hancooks since wet performance (and not being stock legal) most certainly will be a thing.

Old 04-13-2015, 08:16 PM
\_(0_0)_/
1st Gear
Are the rpf1's a stout enough wheel for street? Just want to be certain since i live in the core of toronto and our roads can be a bit rough. If not does anyone have any suggestions?

Old 04-14-2015, 05:43 AM
v10climber
6th Gear
Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts
The 16" wheels will give you a better ride but the 17" wheel will have crisper handling. Also, the RS3s are kind of a has been with all the new tires that got released recently (z2ss, rival s, re71r).

Since you posted in the auto-x forum I'm guessing you want the SRS BZNS auto-x answer. You want either the bridgestone re71r or the dunlop z2ss. I can't help much with regards to tire size. You'll have to wait for some of the other mini guys to chime in. I know the base minis running in GS run the 15" wheels. I think the DS cars typically run the 17" wheel.

Old 04-14-2015, 07:07 AM
\_(0_0)_/
1st Gear
Originally Posted by v10climber
The 16" wheels will give you a better ride but the 17" wheel will have crisper handling. Also, the RS3s are kind of a has been with all the new tires that got released recently (z2ss, rival s, re71r).

Since you posted in the auto-x forum I'm guessing you want the SRS BZNS auto-x answer. You want either the bridgestone re71r or the dunlop z2ss. I can't help much with regards to tire size. You'll have to wait for some of the other mini guys to chime in. I know the base minis running in GS run the 15" wheels. I think the DS cars typically run the 17" wheel.
Thanks for the advice on tires the Z2's seems to be a good choice. Ride quality is most certainly a factor so I think I'll stick with the 16's for that. I'm heavily leaning towards 205x55, which should give me good width for grip and an okay sidewall to give a decent ride. I'd actually be surprised to hear that most people run 17's over 16's in autox in DS. I've only done autox a few times, but found that people tend to favour the benefits that come with the lower rotational mass of a smaller wheel.

Thoughts on using the RPF1's as a dd summer wheel? They seem to be a quality wheel for the price, but less than stellar paving and the occasional pothole are going to be something I'll find in downtown streets in Toronto so I'd like to confirm that these wheels aren't going to just bend or crack away the first real bump I hit.

Last edited by \_(0_0)_/; 04-14-2015 at 08:27 AM.
Old 04-14-2015, 10:43 AM
v10climber
6th Gear
Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts
Originally Posted by \_(0_0)_/
Thanks for the advice on tires the Z2's seems to be a good choice. Ride quality is most certainly a factor so I think I'll stick with the 16's for that. I'm heavily leaning towards 205x55, which should give me good width for grip and an okay sidewall to give a decent ride. I'd actually be surprised to hear that most people run 17's over 16's in autox in DS. I've only done autox a few times, but found that people tend to favour the benefits that come with the lower rotational mass of a smaller wheel.

Thoughts on using the RPF1's as a dd summer wheel? They seem to be a quality wheel for the price, but less than stellar paving and the occasional pothole are going to be something I'll find in downtown streets in Toronto so I'd like to confirm that these wheels aren't going to just bend or crack away the first real bump I hit.
The RPF1s should be fine. I wouldn't be worried about them.

Old 04-14-2015, 11:52 AM
hsautocrosser
6th Gear
Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts
17" was more popular in D stock due to the 7" width and the ability of R-comp tires to work best with maximum tread width. I believe Wilcox was running 235 Rivals at the end.

D Street is a different story that starts with all of the fast D Stock MINI drivers immediately leaving the class at the National level. Once you've done the mods* to get maximum power to the ground coming out of corners, the lighter weight 16x7 might become significant on street tires.

*JCW springs, custom valved shocks, larger rear anti-sway bar, mechanical limited slip (only legal on 3/2010 or earlier cars).

Old 04-14-2015, 12:26 PM
aklucsarits
3rd Gear
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
The RS3s were a fast tire last season. They do well with a lot of heat in them, but it is virtually impossible to get the rear tires of a Mini hot...

But it's a new autoX season now and new and improved street tires are out. New hotness this season include the new compound BFG Rival S and the all new BS RE-71r. The Rival S only comes in sizes that are not optimal for the Mini. That leaves the RE-71r, which is amazing hot or cold, is reportedly oustanding in the wet, and comes in many viable Mini D Street sizes.

For 16x7 wheels, 205/55/16 is probably the best size for D Street.
For 17x7 wheels , 215/45/17 is probably the best size for D Street.

I bought a set of 16x7 +42 OZ Allegeritas last year, and I also have a set of 17x7 Kosei K1-TS. I have not yet bought tires for this season. I am still running 2013 era 215/45/17 Rivalson 17x7. But I am leaning towards getting the RE-71s in the same size on the 17" wheel.

Old 04-14-2015, 12:37 PM
hsautocrosser
6th Gear
I wonder about the Bridgestone for daily summer driving though. Wear rate on concrete has been reported as very high. I suspect the Michelin Pilot Super Sport might be the best compromise for autox, track, and summer daily driving duty.

Old 04-14-2015, 02:50 PM
\_(0_0)_/
1st Gear
Originally Posted by hsautocrosser
I wonder about the Bridgestone for daily summer driving though. Wear rate on concrete has been reported as very high. I suspect the Michelin Pilot Super Sport might be the best compromise for autox, track, and summer daily driving duty.
Thanks for the recommendation on this. Looking at what is offered on the tire I wasn't able to actually find it in a 16 inch wheel. I'd take it in either 205x45 or 205x55. Obviously I'd rather get a tire that functions both in auto-x and as my DD so treadwear is important to me. I'd imagine I have a lot to improve as a driver before tires will be my limiting factor, but do want to get a set that hopefully can provide a compromise between both. Do you have any other recommendations?

Old 04-14-2015, 03:28 PM
hsautocrosser
6th Gear
Sorry, I forgot about the lack of 16" on the MPSS. Next most favored all around summer tire would be the Continental Extreme Contact DW. Good in the rain for autox, fun but not a winner in the dry, comfortable and grippy with reasonable tread wear for the street. Don't know about track. Search the posts here on NAM for first hand experiences with this tire.

205/55-16:
http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires....ECDW&tab=Sizes

Old 04-14-2015, 06:27 PM
Eddie07S
OVERDRIVE
Received 1,135 Likes on 890 Posts
As a compromise tire, I've been happy with the ZIIs. While they may not be fastest in autox, they are very competent on the track both in the dry and the wet and wear has been good both on and off the track...Bonus, they are on clearance on TireRack:
http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires....R6Z2&tab=Specs

Old 04-14-2015, 09:13 PM
\_(0_0)_/
1st Gear
Originally Posted by Eddie07S
As a compromise tire, I've been happy with the ZIIs. While they may not be fastest in autox, they are very competent on the track both in the dry and the wet and wear has been good both on and off the track...Bonus, they are on clearance on TireRack:
http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires....R6Z2&tab=Specs
I'm leaning that way as well. How has your wear been on them? I'll probably end up getting them from 1010tires.com since they are a bit cheaper here in Canada with free shipping and the exchange rate isn't kind atm. I'll put the order in tomorrow and try to snap pics of them when they come. I'm travelling next week so unfortunately the gf will have to deal with taking delivery of them while I'm gone. Really looking forward to having a nice wheel/tire combo and the first place I'll try them out is Toronto Motorspeedway unless I can squeeze in an Auto-x event beforehand.

Old 04-15-2015, 09:42 AM
hsautocrosser
6th Gear
Wear the mold release off first. 300-500 miles.