D Stock Best Brake Rotors

Search this Thread

Old 09-07-2012, 07:33 AM
minimini482
4th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Best Brake Rotors

Hello,

I have a 2010 JCW with the brembo brakes kit. I am just about due for new pads and rotors and fluid.
I know there are several threads regarding what pads and fluid are best to use and have several recommendations from fellow AutoX/Track drivers. So i think I have these aspects narrowed down.

The only thing now to decide is what rotors to use? Does it matter on brand and/or style (plain faced, cross drilled, slotted, etc.)?

I do mostly autox solo events and 4-5 PDX (non-time trial) events per season so I need to keep in mind what will work best for these events but still be streetable?

Thanks in advance for any direction you all can provide on this topic.

Old 10-11-2012, 02:31 PM
replacement
2nd Gear
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I've heard and believe that plain faced "blanks" are really the best for track and autoX, and that any generic brand will do, but go oem/brembo if you can afford it and want to be on the safe side. In the subaru world I knew people that regularly tracked and preferred using cheap autozone blanks.

You *might* get a little better initial bite with cross drilled, and they're lighter (less unsprung weight), but you lose surface area, and they're lighter (so they heat up faster... a primary reason for going to bigger brakes in the first place). They're also prone to cracking at the holes (now THIS is more of an issue in cheap rotors, especially if not drilled properly, and can be a safety concern). They do look great though.

Slotted are supposed to let gases escape, but I've never heard of that being a real problem, and again you trade off surface area. I'd venture a guess that it's far more important to braking performance to have good, bedded pads than to choose one rotor over another.