D Stock Contemplating Autocrossing My Car....What Class?

Search this Thread

Old 03-15-2012, 01:49 PM
martinb
6th Gear
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Contemplating Autocrossing My Car....What Class?

Hello!

After many years of thinking about autocrossing, I'm finally giving it more serious thought. Though I suppose it helps that I finally have something I can have fun autocrossing with. The last time I thought about it seriously, I don't think my vehicle would have been allowed, though I'm sure it would have suprised more than a few observers. It was a '73 VW bus. Modifications included Michelin steel reinforced sidewall radials, Koni adjustable shocks, a heavy duty rear anti-sway bar, and a heavily modified 2 liter 914 motor making just south of 200 hp. I had tons of fun chasing Porsches with it up in the Santa Cruz Mountains.

Now I have a Mini. So, I have a couple questions that I'm hoping some of you can provide answers for. First a better description of the car:

It's an '06 cabriolet with every possible JCW option. That includes all JCW engine and exhaust options, the limited slip differential (w 6 speed), the big brake kit, sport suspension, full aero kit (front/rear/sides), front strut brace, JCW 18" factory wheels, and instead of runflats, I'm running 215/40-18 Hankook Ventus V12 Evo's. (Stock size is 205/40-18.) I'm also running the JCW drilled and slotted front rotors on the front (which didn't come on the car originally and I will be switching at some point to Powerslot rotors), Powerslot rotors on the rear, and Hawk HPS pads all around. Brake fluid is ATE Super Blue. All the afore mentioned options came on the car from the factory with the exception of the rotors, pads, and tires.

So, my question is: What class(es) would I be running in?

That's about it for now. I'm trying to get a couple of my friends interested as well so we can all do a few events together.

Thanks much!

Old 03-15-2012, 03:22 PM
cmt52663
6th Gear
Received 293 Likes on 222 Posts
My suggestion would be welcome to STX. That's the SCCA class which requires street tires (no Hoosiers), permits common suspension modifications (including coil overs), permits some tuning options, and includes the Works Coopers.

Cheers,

Charlie

Old 03-15-2012, 03:40 PM
martinb
6th Gear
Thanks for that, but with all the mods I would imagine people would have, I don't think I'd have a chance. Are there any other classes I could run in?

Thanks again!

Old 03-15-2012, 04:07 PM
Jim Michaels
5th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
STX sounds like the right class, unless the group you plan to run with has a novice class. Otherwise, beginners are likely to be soundly thumped by more experienced drivers. A variety of cars run in novice class, but raw run times are mathematically adjusted according to what class each car would otherwise be running in. In SCCA, for example, novice class final standings are based on PAX (adjusted) times. This gives all novices a chance to compete only against other novices.

Old 03-15-2012, 04:55 PM
hsautocrosser
6th Gear
Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts
Old 03-16-2012, 01:29 AM
cmt52663
6th Gear
Received 293 Likes on 222 Posts
Originally Posted by martinb
Thanks for that, but with all the mods I would imagine people would have, I don't think I'd have a chance. Are there any other classes I could run in?

Thanks again!
As has been mentioned, novice drivers compete against each other. Truly the first year or two is all about learning.

When I started I was 6 seconds off the pace on a 60 second course.

I'd encourage you to run any class you can get into, not sweat the outcomes, and just have fun!

Cheers,

Charlie

Old 03-16-2012, 09:33 AM
martinb
6th Gear
Originally Posted by cmt52663
I'd encourage you to run any class you can get into, not sweat the outcomes, and just have fun!

Cheers,

Charlie

Thanks for that. Certainly, having fun is the main thing. I'm getting my car some needed fluid changes, rear brakes, and some other things done by BR Racing. They're doing an alignment as well and I'll be talking to them about the settings. It's still primarily a street car, so I don't want any radical changes, but they may have a suggestion or two. They're very experienced with Mini's.

Old 03-19-2012, 08:01 AM
Burglar
3rd Gear
Received 18 Likes on 17 Posts
It's easy to get caught up on the car when you first start. Some say that autocross is 80% driver / 20% car, and I'd say that's close. If you can, leave the car as is for at least three seasons. It'll take that long just to get the basics down.

Fortunately, the Mini is a great car to learn the sport in - it's responsive, predictable, and a ton of fun without being overwhelming. Concentrate on improving your driving. You are going to really, really suck at first, just as if you tried to pick up a guitar for the first time and tried to shred like Eddie Van Halen. Practice, attend schools if available, have experienced racers ride with you, and take ride alongs with them. Ask a lot of questions. If you keep an open mind, you'll learn very quickly.

Old 03-19-2012, 09:45 AM
martinb
6th Gear
Yea, I'm not going to start making a bunch of modificatons. I just want to run it the way it is. I'm hoping that I'll only suck a little bit, though, instead of really, really sucking. I do have some experience with driving quick on really tight roads. I grew up driving in the Santa Cruz Mountains. Plus I've ridden motorcycles for many years and have a small amount of karting experience as well. But nevertheless, I'm sure autocrossing is a different animal.

Old 03-20-2012, 03:52 AM
chkltcow
1st Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
The only class I think you're eligible for with all those mods (even though they're factory, I don't think it qualifies for D Stock) is STX. Don't worry... the MINI is a beast even when bone stock. I've been beating up on STX class WRXes in my Cooper S... even without mods.

And yes... AutoX is an entirely different animal. I tried it for the first time last year and after taking what was a relatively slow run through the little slalom course they had set up for us, I let my instructor hop in my Miata. He thrashed it through there, and when we crossed the line I said "HOLY @%$!.... my car will do THAT?!" I feel pretty confident saying you've never come NEAR the grip level your tires are capable of while you're out on the street.... and your first few events are going to be all about figuring out where that grip level is.