D Stock Wheels allowed in G-Stock

Search this Thread

Old 02-12-2004, 07:39 AM
Chitown_COOP
Coordinator :: Chicago MINI Motoring Club
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I went out and bought some 16" Kosei K-1 Racing wheels and put Bridgestone S-03s on my MCS last September. I was doing only driving schools/road racing at the time. Now I find out that these wheels probably aren't going to cut it for G-Stock, and incidentally, the only "stock" wheels that I have are the heavy-as-hell BBS R-90s, which also happen to have my Blizzaks on them.

Now, I implore you, the gods of G-Stock: what are my options for running stock here? I'm assuming that for this season, I'm going to be running Novice the whole time, so I'll just be comparing my numbers to the "real" G-Stock numbers during 2004. But next year, I'm going to need new wheels if I want to compete as G-Stock, no? It seems to me that my only "stock" options for 16" wheels is: R83 5-star (aka Daytona ET50 @ 20.1lb) or R84 X-lite (aka Monza, V-spoke ET50 17.6lb). Are there any other "stock" 16" wheels in reasonably light weights like the R84? Are there any aftermarket wheels which are reasonably priced and would count as "stock"? Obviously, if I fall into some money, then the SSR Comps is what I would go with, but I really want to keep my expenditures to a minimum.

So, in a nutshell, my questions:

1) This year I will be a novice. That's where I'll be for the whole year, so I don't really need to worry about this now, right?

2) The Koseis would kick me out of G-Stock, right?

3) What are my choices (being especially considerate of price) for wheels that will count as stock?

Thanks for your help!

Old 02-12-2004, 07:47 AM
Yucca Patrol
Coordinator :: Alabama Motoring Society & South East
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I solved my problem with having only heavy R-90's by finding a set of used 16" OEM wheels. I'm getting the R-84 X-lites and they should be just fine for a novice like myself. That way I am guaranteed to have a stock fitment, and a used set of these can be picked up relatively cheaply here on NAM. Someone is always selling a set of them, and often they are new or nearly new and perfect.

Good luck!

Old 02-12-2004, 07:50 AM
FWD-MX5
4th Gear
1. Novice classes may run a PAX system regardless of mods, check with your region/club.
2. If you want to stay with the Kosei, ask your competetiors and let them know you are running a 1/2" too wide wheel. If they do not mind, you can save some money. With street tires, you are not going to clean up in GStock anyway. R compounds are worth 2 seconds on a 60 sec course.
3. AK Monzas (16x6.5) are a copy of the SSR Comps, stock legal and are less than $200 a wheel (way less). They are cast not semi forged like the SSR.
Hope this helps
Chris

Old 02-12-2004, 01:47 PM
Chitown_COOP
Thanks, Yucca. I'm definitely down with picking up a used set of OEMs if possible, but hell, I don't need them to be "like new." They can be scratched as hell, and I would take them.

FWD, thank you as well. You helped outa lot. I have no idea what a PAX system is, but I'll look into it. And I will certainly ask whether or not they'll allow the Koseis in stock. And I'm well aware that street tires wouldn't be the best. Assuming I eventually buy a third set of wheels, I would certainly put R-compounds on them, without a doubt. Also nice to know about the Monza option. Those will come under consideration if neither SSRs nor OEMs are an option.

Old 02-12-2004, 03:48 PM
VmpyrDavid
Minty Fresh
FYI, if you're planning on buying R-comps your first season, most clubs won't let you run Novice anymore with the sticky shoes on.

David
-V--V-

Old 02-13-2004, 09:58 AM
Chitown_COOP
Thanks, David. It'll probably be next year before I have the coin to drop for the R's, but quite frankly, I don't think it makes a lot of difference how I'm classed this year. I'm sure that I will stink up every course I get on for many months to come!

Old 02-13-2004, 07:07 PM
DancesWithCones
3rd Gear
Chitown - The Chicago Region has a very good novice class. Check out the Novice Handbook hosted by TireRack. Make certain you attend the new member seminar at the beginning of March and The Learning Curve at the end of March. Have fun chewing up the PP S-03s.

Old 02-14-2004, 10:31 PM
Chitown_COOP
I'm definitely planning on going to the Novice class, and I really want to make it to the Learning Curve, as I think it would be extremely beneficial, but I've got to figure out a way to get out of a presentation that I've got to do on that Saturday.

Thanks for the insight!

P.S. What's PP supposed to mean? :???: